Thread: Let's talk Multi-tools

Let's talk Multi-tools

Am I the ONLY one who has multiple Multi Tools
    Leatherman Micra
    Gerber 600
    etc.

How many have the bug?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

They were SOP in my unit in the Corps, worked yomens duty from gunsmithing to vehicle repair. Have diffrent ones in the go bags, in the vehicles, in the hunting kits. Very found of the Leatherman wave. Just seems to have what I need when I need it. The pliers saved the day on our last elk hunt!!!!!

Boolit Master
    One original wave, two new style waves, one rebar, one pst and a super tool here.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

That's one I have not purchased yet - Leatherman Wave.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Leatherman that I have broken twice. They do honor the warranty however. Is there any that are a little more "heavy duty" ?

Boolit Grand Master

The phrase "jack of all trades but master of none" comes to mind. I know people love them but I can't stand them. The proper tools, which are basic ones when talking multitools, are never far away.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The phrase "jack of all trades but master of none" comes to mind. I know people love them but I can't stand them. The proper tools, which are basic ones when talking multitools, are never far away.
    For the most part I agree with never far away, but on deployment at CO elk camp or a upper peninsula of mi deer camp, real tools or help can be light years away and multi tools can and do serve in a make do or go without/suffer maybe die role. Carried on the belt or thrown in the pack/glove compartment they are at hand, plierz, hex drive wire cutters and file srrw drivers have all been needed and come in handy at a value way beyond the price point of the tool

Quote Originally Posted by tim338 View Post
    I have a Leatherman that I have broken twice. They do honor the warranty however. Is there any that are a little more "heavy duty" ?
    Which model are you breaking and which "tool" on the leatherman?
    je suis charlie

Boolit Buddy
    I think it is the squirt (the small one) and I am breaking the plier jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Which model are you breaking and which "tool" on the leatherman?

Squirt is a light duty - you'd have to step up to a larger heavy duty like

or

SOG Power Assist Multi-Tool
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxpD4ZLvRs
    Last edited by Artful; 12-31-2015 at 01:30 AM.
    je suis charlie

I carry a leatherman pst daily in my pocket. Ive shattered the tip of the pliers once by pinching a nail head and it slipped off. It chipped on the inside from being brittle. I sent it back to leatherman, asking that they repaired, and not replaced. They replaced. Other than that i've not had any issues.

I use the tool a lot, for in a pinch, light duty things. I dont use the knife much, as it wont hold an edge well.

Boolit Buddy
    I find the Wave the best combination of tools size and weight.
    Don't leave home without one, has got me out of trouble more than once, even the knife will surprise with what it can do.
    Ive field dressed deer when we have bumped into them and been caught short without a decent knife, even used one to perform a caesarean on ewe that had prolapsed lambing a few months ago.

I just noticed I have 3 Victorinox Swiss Army knives sitting on my desk tonight - I guess it's my original multi tool. Well actually my original was the 4 bladed boy scout knife. Wonder where that one is?
    je suis charlie

Picked up a Leatherman Clamp and a Charge today - wife says "oh, good you found your Xmas presents"
    je suis charlie

The best Leatherman in my opinion, can be broken into several sizes.

Juice CS4- light duty edc. Millions of tools in it.

Charge/Wave- standard duty, very size efficient for all the tools. Excellent tool

Leatherman 300- heavy duty. Fewer tools, but they are all tougher.

I would recommend choosing between the first two for most people. The first if you won't be using it for work. The 300 is better in a bag or glovebox than on your belt, imo.

I never thought I'd want a multi-tool until I got a good deal on one about 10 years ago, now I don't
    go anywhere without it. Can't beat the quality of Victorinox.

The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

So I got my Charge out and looking at the tool bits that are leatherman specific and all the hex tools I already own - went and took a magnetic bit holder and my mini-cutoff grinder and thinned the bit holder until it would slide into Charge's bit holder about 0.142" aligned with two opposing spines just like leatherman tool bits (which are actually 0.124" and wobble). So can now use all my regular bits with it. But in looking at youtube
    found this mod -

Now I'm thinking of doing this as well
    je suis charlie

Or maybe I should consider this one
    je suis charlie

Banned

I have had a Charge ti for a couple years. It sits in my chest rig for when I am going somewhere. The chest rig is almost a BOB.

Moderator Emeritus

I have two of the Gerber std. models, and kept them in my and my wife's vehicles for a long time. Then I realized that my wife wouldn't know what to do with one, and stole it back again. Just seemed the thing to do. Have it in a little "survival kit bag" that I hope I never use, but they CAN be very useful in a pinch, which I think is their raison d'etre. Handy to have when you DON'T have a set of real tools with you, and takes up little space and the wt. is shared among a number of tools. I like the Gerbers for the solid backs. Easier on the hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast