Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Single Six cylinders, old and new model?

Banner Sponsor

Single Six cylinders, old and new model?

Hi all, I picked up an Ebay auction for single six barrel and 22 mag cylinder. I have 2 old model single sixs with 22lr cylinders only.
    The parts got here and the cylinder won't fit. The base pin hole is too small and the notchs for timeing are wider than my old model cylinders.

Does anybody know the difference between old and new model single six cylinders?
    I'm thinking that maybe I didn't get a Ruger cylinder?? The barrel does say Ruger on it and is in great shape.

TIA

I will be real nterested to see any replies, too! I have a new model with magnum cylinder only, and would like to get a LR cylinder for it. Come on, you experts, and enlighten us !!
    Gun CONTROL Means Puttin Them BOOLITS Where I Want 'Em !

Boolit Master

You may consider getting Ruger to fit it for you. They are as expensive as you might think.

I recently purchased a NM .45 Colt off Gunbroker and shipped it back to them asking to check the timing, fit a .45 ACP cylinder, replace the ejecter rod with a steel one and re-blue it.

When it came back, all of the above was done, plus they replaced the barrel and some internal parts. All of this was done for a little less that $200.

Oh... if you have any after market parts on your gun, they will replace them with factory. So be careful what you send them.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Banner Sponsor

Sounds like an excellent deal Mike. Money well spent.
    I've heard they will take off aftermarket grips and send it back with factory stock ones. I think that is abit much.
    I asked over on the Ruger forum this morning. So I'll see what kind of info I can find. I asked on the AR gunsmithing forum, but no takers there.

One of my single sixes has 22 Magnum on the frame and all the lettering is gold inlaid. I wonder if it was a special edition something?

I am not a Ruger Single Six expert, but it is my understanding that...

1) OM and NM cylinders DO NOT interchange
    2) NM cylinders DO interchange with little or no fitting
    3) OM cylinders DO interchange but it will require fitting

I bought an OM mag. cylinder for my OM SS. I had to dress down the cylinder bushing to get it to fit, but it did fit and provides very good acuracy.

Ruger factory service is good and swift, but can be a problem. They will return the pistol in factory trim, They will remove any and all parts that have been altered in any way and replace them with new factory parts.

OM revolvers will be converted to the crapy safe mode. Grips frames will be replaced and not refnished. If you have done any action work, sight work etc., kiss it goodby.

Generous Donator

Suppose one had a 357 convertible model stolen and they still have the 9mm cylinder. Buying a replacement 357 is easy which has been done. The 9mm Cylinder is a little too long. Can it safely be fit by properly taking metal off the front bushing of the cylinder or should a gunsmith do it. One would imagine that quality control should be good enough that the timing would be correct.
    Thanks, Mark

Banner Sponsor

I put a blued bisley cylinder on my stainless 45 Blackhawk. Luckily the new cylinder was longer than the old one.
    The first step was to place the cylinder in the frame as close as it will go and see what needs to come off. I stoned the ratchet face at the rear until the cylinder would just slide past the barrel.
    Then stoned the front nose until the cylinder just barely slid into the frame. My cylinder gap is about 1 thou.
    I polished the ends with 600 grit wet and dry placed on a flat block. I have put many many hot loads through it and have had zero problems.

Mark...I would take a file and emery paper and shorten the bushing, taking care to keep everything square. If you just have a little bit to remove less than about 20 thou) , just 220 grit emergy backed up by a file, and then finish with 320 or 400 grit. I have done this before... Remember cut and try, cut and try. Don't get in a hurry.

An old timey Gunsmith would do it this way. The boys today will chuck it up in a lathe or use a mill. Anyway they went, the cost would be more than the value of the cylinder.

Boolit Buddy

single six cylinder

Lar 45.

I saw this on AR and sent you a PM about it.

Once I get my Single Six back from Ruger, I just may sell the Magnum cylinder

Jim Wisner

Banner Sponsor

The guys on the Ruger forum think it is a Colt cylinder.
    Here's a pic, ruger on the right.

Generous Donator

Chargar and Lar45,
    Thanks for the replys. I am going to wait a few months to see if the gun surfaces and then go for it. I've really got nothing to lose and all to gain. Mark

Lar45... Methinks those are both Ruger Cylinders. The one on the right is an OM in 22 lr and the other is 22mag. Without having it in my hand, I can't tell if it is an OM or NM. The cylinder base pin is a NM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    Lar45... Methinks those are both Ruger Cylinders. The one on the right is an OM in 22 lr and the other is 22mag. Without having it in my hand, I can't tell if it is an OM or NM. The cylinder base pin is a NM.
    Old Model .22Mag cylinders were fluted......the polish and bevel of the cylinder on the left looks too much for a Ruger, and I also suspect Colt Scout.....also, note the difference in the ratchet pads....the cylinder on the right has Ruger-type pads which are almost rectangular in the frame-bearing area....the cylinder on the left doesn't look close......as for fitting, I have a spare Old Model fluted .22Mag cylinder on hand....it fit perfectly in a '59 vintage OMSS, shot perfectly, unfortunately that gun "borrowed" by one of my ex's daughters several years ago......my favorite Ruger is my battered early flatgate SingleSix, smooth and straight shooting a .22 pistol as there's ever been......unfortunately, the mag cylinder won't even begin to fit, the cylinder body unable to clear both the rear of the window and the front of the cylinder body hitting the barrel shank while the collar is visibly too short.....MAYbe it could be made to fit by facing off the cylinder front a BUNCH and then shimming the front collar, but I'll just wait for another .22LR to come along that it fits with no alteration....
    Last edited by mtngunr; 02-02-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    FWIW We got a new model single six this week. First thing we did was try a cylender from my 30 year old old model. Both my old cylenders fit and the 22 lr fired perfectly. The counter sink for the case rim is done differently but other than that same same.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    FWIW We got a new model single six this week. First thing we did was try a cylender from my 30 year old old model. Both my old cylenders fit and the 22 lr fired perfectly. The counter sink for the case rim is done differently but other than that same same.
    BIC/BS
    Yes sir, cylinder fit is hit or miss on any Ruger of the same frame size and caliber....my boys each have NMSSS's in stainless, and we have 75% cylinder interchangeability between them....my OMBH .45 Colt would not take in a million years a .45ACP cylinder that came with the gun, the collar too short, the body way too short, and the ratchet area way too long....that one went to a friend where it fit one of his 3 OMBH .45 Colt's perfectly....

Boolit Bub
    lar45,

The cylinder on the left is NOT a Ruger cylinder. The ratchet pads are wrong and the notches for the cylinder latches are too wide.

All Ruger .22 cylinders are basically the same. There are variations in the thickness of the ratchet fingers, flutes or not on the mag cylinders, and of manufacturing tollerences.
    But with fitting, sometimes without, OM and NM cylinders can be switched from gun to gun.

Think of it this way: If you send an Old Model to Ruger for a new cylinder what are they going to fit to it? A New Model cylinder of course. The OM cylinders are long gone.

So if you can, contact the seller and try to get your money back. Either that or put that cylinder on eBay.

Joe