Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cataract Surgery

Boolit Man

Cool Cataract Surgery

No doubt this subject will have been covered, so direct me if you know. I am 72, and visited my optometrist just before the craziness began (circa December 2019). The nice lady optometrist explained that my vision had deteriorated (correction was around ten diopters) to the point that she doubted the lens makers would be willing to grind them, as they would be too thin, and would probably break with normal use. She is familiar with my shooting needs, and asked if I had ever considered cataract surgery. Since I did not have cataracts, I told her no, I had not, but if she would refer me, I would go see the surgeon. After much pandemic-caused delay, the surgeries were completed in August and September, and I now see 20-20 from about 30" on out. I use 2.0 "readers" to see the computer monitor clearly.

What I can't see is the scale on the staff of the rear sight. After a little research, I found SSP Sports, which offers shooting safety glasses (similar to Wileys, Oakleys, etc) which has either "top focal" or "bottom focal" (their term for "like bifocals, except for magnification", like readers) ground in. I believe a pair of these would enable me to see to adjust the rear sight.

Anybody had similar experiences?

Boolit Grand Master
    Not yet. I'm going to the surgeon this week for a consult. Will follow your info w/ some interest.

Boolit Bub
    My mom is 72 and just had the cataract surgery this past week. I don't know if you're considering the same thing, but she had some lenses implanted as part of the process. After having glasses/contacts for 50 years or more, she no longer needs them. Like, at all.

She doesn't really shoot any more, so I can't ask if that has been impacted. But it's an interesting possibility. I had no idea that was an option.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I had the surgery in November - fixed near sightedness, glaucoma, and new (expensive) lenses. I see clearly close up and am 20/15 and 20/20 distance. Midrange (computer on the lap distance) is blurry. I will be interested in what you discover, but the type of lens that was implanted makes a huge difference in what you will need.

I have been to the range twice since the surgery but just beginning to explore the possibilities.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I've had a pair of glasses made for shooting and I bought the SSP shooting glasses. Both allow me to see the sights but the target is still an indistinct blur. Unfortunately fixed focus lenses do not allow my eyes to see both sights and target equally well. This getting old, is getting OLD.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I had cataract surgery in both eyes about 7 years ago. It was a truly wonderful improvement and I was 20/20 in both eyes, but it has again changed with time. I'm back to reading glasses, the lowest level, just drug store magnifiers, and one eye waters quite a bit. Truthfully, I think it effected my sense of balance also, which was noted almost immediately. But I can shoot well enough to be happy, and would do it over again. It would seem that a pair of bifocals would be your answer, half magnifier and half just plain
    nonprescription glass. I just chimed in to let you know that things may continue to change, albeit slowly.

DG

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I had the surgery in November - fixed near sightedness, glaucoma, and new (expensive) lenses. I see clearly close up and am 20/15 and 20/20 distance. Midrange (computer on the lap distance) is blurry. I will be interested in what you discover, but the type of lens that was implanted makes a huge difference in what you will need.

I have been to the range twice since the surgery but just beginning to explore the possibilities.
    I would be interested to learn more about what there is to know about type of lenses. The Doc. keep saying I am close to being ready. I hope so because my vision distance is now dropping off and I have color dullness. I shot a BPCR silhouette Saturday and seeing was rough.
    It can't happen too soon.

Please expand on what I should be learning about to get the right lens.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Man
    Tnlonghunter: The doctor I used had the capability of implanting a new lens that would correct for either long distance, or close up, or both. The last was a little beyond my ability to pay, so I opted for the lens that gave me the ability to see far out. I see everything from about 30" and further clearly. I can still see the front sight, but the rear sight, which is just a few inches away, is a blur, so I can't see to adjust it. That's what I hope the top/bottom focals will provide. They're about sixty bucks.
    Elk Hunter: I focus on the front sight and let the target be a little fuzzy. I don't think I have ever been able to "see both sights and target equally well". You are right, Old sucks.
    Der Gebirgsjager: Gradual deterioration is OK with me. That's what the last 60 years have been. I'll take on another pair of specs in eight years (when I'm 80).
    Chill Wills: If you have the wherewithall, the lens that corrects both far and near (like it sounds like Wayne Smith got) is the ticket. It would just more than I could afford.

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day All , I had my cataracts done 3 years ago and it was great I could see good again and as others have said it changes as the years go by ( getting old sucks , almost 71 ) I had my glasses regulated for 16 inches so that they work for the computer and for my pistol shooting ( I too could not afford the expensive lenses )
    this focal point allows me pretty clear vision of my open sights ( I shoot silhouette with Bomar sights ) I tried bi focals with split distance lenses but no go it was like putting on wobbly boots my balance went to hell

Regards Paul
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 01-08-2021 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Filter Bypass

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tangsight View Post
    No doubt this subject will have been covered, so direct me if you know. I am 72, and visited my optometrist just before the craziness began (circa December 2019). The nice lady optometrist explained that my vision had deteriorated (correction was around ten diopters) to the point that she doubted the lens makers would be willing to grind them, as they would be too thin, and would probably break with normal use. She is familiar with my shooting needs, and asked if I had ever considered cataract surgery. Since I did not have cataracts, I told her no, I had not, but if she would refer me, I would go see the surgeon. After much pandemic-caused delay, the surgeries were completed in August and September, and I now see 20-20 from about 30" on out. I use 2.0 "readers" to see the computer monitor clearly.

What I can't see is the scale on the staff of the rear sight. After a little research, I found SSP Sports, which offers shooting safety glasses (similar to Wileys, Oakleys, etc) which has either "top focal" or "bottom focal" (their term for "like bifocals, except for magnification", like readers) ground in. I believe a pair of these would enable me to see to adjust the rear sight.

Theres a way out of that staff scale - the screw thread on any decent sight is pretty precise (more so than we can set the graduations I bet) so do the math and calibrate the screw adjustment (mine works out to 2.3 MOA per full turn on the lead screw) then cut a deep groove on one quarter of the screw head and a shallow groove opposite and again crossways so its marked in quarters with the one deep cut for a full turn zero. So a new load is 6 inches low at 100 = 3 MOA = 1.3 turns .... lets go one full turn plus a quarter and squeeze that last quarter a whisker - once you get this figured can do it in the dark!

Boolit Master

I had my surgery about 10 years ago. Went from almost legally blind in my left eye (which had previously undergone laser surgery for AMD) to 20/25 and cleaned up to an honest 20/20 in the right. A few months after the surgery, I presented my opthamologist with a pic of of my .38-55 Highwall laying across a 4 1/2" 10-shot group shot off X-sticks at 300M. He had it framed and it hung in his office until he retired a couple years ago.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    I had my surgery about 10 years ago. Went from almost legally blind in my left eye (which had previously undergone laser surgery for AMD) to 20/25 and cleaned up to an honest 20/20 in the right. A few months after the surgery, I presented my opthamologist with a pic of of my .38-55 Highwall laying across a 4 1/2" 10-shot group shot off X-sticks at 300M. He had it framed and it hung in his office until he retired a couple years ago.

Bill
    That's pretty spectacular. My eyes are so bad I'm not a candidate for Lasik surgery. But I have wondered whether this option might be more effective.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I had the surgery about three years ago. It's great to see again 20/20 in my dominant right eye and 20/15 in my left. I shoot a lot of IHMSA handguns. I still can't shoot iron sights real well. I can see the sights at the proper distance, but I can't get a precise hold on the targets. I've tried peep on peep, regular blade sights so far nothing has worked for me. I have to keep readers close to check the adjustments on my scopes.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tangsight View Post

I shoot N-SSA competition. 69 years of age. I wear contacts for shooting, but have a non-prescription shooting glasses with the magnifying bifocal lens ground in for reading my shooting notes, etc. They work just fine. I also use a Merit adjustable sight disc to crisp up the iron sights. If you can read your sights with your +2.0 readers, just get the shooting glasses with that ground in as the bottom "bifocal" lens.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Master
    well here is what i done, so remember if you shoot a hand gun. what eye you use
    i had the far in the right and the near in the left.
    for most anything you dont need any glasses but sun type
    but i messed up. i used rt eye for pistol, cant see sight. so had to change to left eye . hard to do .
    i did get glasses to use, [and really should have to shoot a hand gun] got the dark trans or you cant stand sun and snow .
    one last thing MAKE sure you check with others that have used the DR . I had NO problems and could see fine the same day, many around use the cheap guy and still have problems cost in wv is $6000 per eye the cheep guy charges $2000 -
    so you only have 2 and if its screwed up. it cant be fixed
    hope this will help

Boolit Master

Had both eyes done few years ago, no issues but need readers for up close. Found +150-175 readers at wally world or drug store are perfect for shooting.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Man
    To: John in PA Thanks, that's what I'll do.

Boolit Mold
    I had cataract surgery on both eyes in 2011; I knew I was looking through waxed paper but didn't realize it was yellow/brown waxed paper until the first eye was done. Side effects are floaters; search Weiss ring. Early 2020 I had a vitrectomy to replace the vitreous (eyeball fluid) which removed the floaters. Eye-wise now I'm the bionic man and couldn't be happier.

Like others, had the cataract lens replacement several yrs back. They do make bi/tri focal implants. People I know that got them DON'T like them!! Cataracts fog you vision, replacement 'lens' gets everything brighter and blurryness is gone but focus correction is far or near. Astigmatism problems complicate it. Can be corrected but doesn't last forever. I'd advise - avoid lasik if possible, so far it's a one time only deal.
    Sucks for shooting irons but is what it is. Us old guys use scopes. Don't know if 1x scope is allowed for comp. New 'old' folks division?
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

What I got are the Panoptic lenses that are the adjustable ones. My cost was $2995 for each eye and the financial office at the eye doctor's office offered me two years to pay at $5 interest, - that's a total payment of $3000 per eye! Insurance (Medicare and BC/BX) paid for the surgery and aftercare completely.
    Turns out that I am a steroid over-responder and the eyedrops they put you on post surgery are steroid drops. I had some pressure excursions after the first surgery. That is being managed now.
    I also bought safety/sun glasses! My glasses have been photosensitive since that first became available and were polyacrylic so provided safety. Now I need to figure out when I need sun glasses and have clear safety glasses for woodworking in the garage.

The other option for replacement lenses are less expensive and are one size - either distance or close. People who choose these tend to have one eye close for reading and one eye distant for driving. The brain compensates and you eventually have pretty clear vision, reportedly. I didn't go there so I can't address that.
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 01-09-2021 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added buying glasses
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast