WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedersoli soule sights?

Pedersoli soule sights?

Are the pedersoli soule sights any good? Or are you better off saving more money for a MVA or something?
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Bub
    Hey saz,
    In all honesty save your bucks and pick up the MVA's. Other good choices are Red River(the old PU brand), Kelly and Baldwin. You can check them out at Buffalo Arms web site. I have been shooting BPCR silhouette, creedmoore and buffalo gong matches for years and believe me you dont see the Pedersoil sights on the line. You do see the rifles but the sights are just not up to snuff for serious target work. One other note, get the sights with the most windage you can. If you get into long range you will need it someday.

http://buffaloarms.com/

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Many people don't know that Pedersoli makes two sets of sights. The soule sights that are sold in the boxed sets are good and they work fine. The ones that are shipped on most rifles are not the same. The cheaper sight sells for half of the boxed one.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of their soule sights , in about 1/2 of a revolution of wimdage adjustment it is fine , the other 1/2 resets itself on recoil .
    Untill I found out what it was doing it drove me crazy, would I buy another Pedersoli , rifle yes, sights NO

Boolit Master
    The best quality pedersoli, sights. You never see them in the winners circle, EVER.

MVA-Badwin-Kermit Hokes-Distant Thunder is now showing up occasionaly, their Front sight with the slope built into the base is excellent for Long Range.

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Master
    The Pedersoli Soule has a base with a relatively low pivot point. The sight also has a lot of bulk on the back side of the staff that makes the aperture project rearward a long way. The result is the sight will not fold low enough to permit straight access to to the bore with a cleaning rod.
    EDG

Black Powder 100%

Let me add to my first post and say the following. All the above post are quite correct in saying the pedersoli sights are not made to shoot the long distance matches. KW and others have years of shooting these type matches and know what is needed. If you have a chace to buy a Pedersoli rifle that has these sights and you are going to use it for casual shooting or hunting then the pedersoli will work fine.For any other use then take the advice of buying other sights.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I am currently saving up for my first sharps rifle. I have narrowed it down to either a 45-70 or 45-90, and want to keep my options open for the possibility of sillhouette or long range shooting down the road. I spotted the pedersoli soule long range boxed set for CHEAP and was wondering if it would be worth it, or save the $ for something better.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Hold out for MVA or similar.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    I am currently saving up for my first sharps rifle. I have narrowed it down to either a 45-70 or 45-90, and want to keep my options open for the possibility of sillhouette or long range shooting down the road. I spotted the pedersoli soule long range boxed set for CHEAP and was wondering if it would be worth it, or save the $ for something better.

For cheap is ok if you are not going to compete in matches that require adjustment between stages.
    For shooting a fixed ranges with every thing locked down they will work ok. But it still will not fold down enough for easy cleaning.
    For this use I prefer the cheapo sight since it will fold down enough for cleaning.
    EDG

Black Powder 100%

I use a dexlin rod that works fine with the sight installed. Sage Outfitters sells them.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    The best quality pedersoli, sights. You never see them in the winners circle, EVER.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=94400
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    My Italian sight (taylors) works just fine. Scale on fixed shaft is same as the other side and makes adjusting MOA a bit of a pit. Just have to remember to push shaft to the left to take out all the slack and shoot before anything moves. My other gun has a Baldwin-no comparision.

Boolit Master
    Forest is a well known shooter at the Montana Gong matches and shoots smokeless, so that mention is a valid point, I was refering to National-Regional NRA Competition, where BP loads are required and the Pedersoli sights are as mentioned are somewhat a Pain. A singular mention in the many many matches held in this country only validates my statement even more so.

I would suggest anyone come to a major match of anysort and handle the sights mentioned, use them. Pedersoil builds good rifles, they are a lousy sight maker. I have ran matches for over 15 years have seen em all, you will see many discourged users of these sights when they see what else is used and how well it works vrs the Pedersoli sights. those that cheer folks on to buy these lesser quality of sights are doing our sport a dis-service in my opinion.

Those that disagree that statement, are entitled to their opinions, however they should really get out and see what other sights used and how well they work and how well they do. Staying home at the tiny bubble of a small personal range, Never attending anysort of shoot, you are really limited in the scope of how much a real objective opinion you give.

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Master
    Not everyone shoots competition at varying ranges. A sight that will hold its zero at one range is sufficient for a lot of people. Those folks buy most of the BPCRs.
    Pedersoli sights are pretty shaggy but telling someone that they can't possibly enjoy themselves without spending $350 to $600 on a set of sights does the sport no favors.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    The gent mentioned of in the future of using sights for Sihouette and Long Range, Perhaps EDG missed that in the original posting. EDG must of missed the whole intent of the post, but would enjoy a peeing contest.

As for adjusting only after each yard line statement means you have never shot in a match. Often we have to make quick elevation changes due to condition changes that happen quickly in the short time allowed for record shots in Silhouette, the Cheapoo sights are a pain to make this quick and percise adjustments, shooter fustration is at Max.

That was the intent of my post, It is not much fun when your equipment fails you or does not work well.

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    It is not much fun when your equipment fails you or does not work well.

KW
    The Lunger
    Now I know that when speaking from the position of real life experience, somefolks around here take offense,,,,
    BUT Kenny is exactly right on the sight issue. I've been battling sights this entire seaon(and a good part of last year) and my scores show it....

Even just bangin away at home if you shoot past a couple of hundred yards a low quality sight will just add to the aggrevation.
    Buy the best you can, save until you can afford the better brands. You'll shoot better with ladder sights than you will with floppy vernier tangs....
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    OK, don't jump all over me but I have Pedersoli Creedmoor USA 431 sights on the majority of my BPC rifles and one USA 406 Soule

No, I am not a competitor at Raton and the other NRA 'big' matches but on the average using these sights, I shoot about 700 to 1000 reloads each year since 2003.

I do go to Ridgway Rifle Club 2 -3 times a year and shoot 1000yds and also the Silhouettes. This May I spent a week @ Ridgway and shot 850 reloads in 38-55, 45-70 and 45-90 plus 3 original RRB military rifles... no verniers. Most folks have seen the targets that I have posted and honestly, I have no issues with the Pedersoli Creedmoor and Soule sights putting bullets on target and many in the 10" X ring @ 1000yds. And let's be candid with each other - reading wind and the mirage play a major factor with the 'top gun's and the average BPCR shooting long distance for accuracy ... regardless whether using a MVA-Badwin-Kermit Hoke or a Pedersoli

My very 1st BPCR purchase was the H&R Buffalo Classic. First range trip using the Pedersoli Creedmoor shot a 5 shot 7" x 2 1/4" group at 600yds in the 7 ring with 3 holes that could have been covered with a silver dollar ... with 2 witnesses to say this is no Internet talk. BTW, the temperature was 92 degrees - bright sun and the mirage was running left to right like a freight train

I just put a Badger 45-70 barrel on my CPA Stevens with a Baldwin foresight and vernier. If the friggen weather would break, I'll be back up to Ridgway and see if my accuracy improves on Homer @ 1000 yds using the Baldwin
    And yes, if I was to be a top competitor at the big matches, I too would have the very best equipment also, including sights!

For the good of the order, here is my Infamous Miss this May @ 1000yds shooting a 1879 RRB, 50-70 with black powder @ 1000yds with open sights ...

My spotter said the swinger (about 3 feet from Homer) was doing about 150 mph!
    Last edited by John Boy; 10-04-2010 at 01:56 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Well John I guess here again it falls back to where do you want the money to go?
    Cabela's lists the pedersoli soule at 339(Hadley is extra). You can get a Distant thunder for 385 or a Ron Heilman for 285$, MVA for 457$
    And which do you suppose will have the better service if the sight fails the Pedersoli or one being made by a US outfit that's active in the bpcr world?
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I have not been in competition either. There isn't a BPCR or silhouette match or way to practice to compete near me. All I can do is practice at the 100 yd range and gongs out to 450 yds up the hill. But my friend who does do it told me what set up to get and I called up C Sharps and ordered it. The sights I have on my rifle are the mid-range soule sight with Hadley eyecup and globe spirit level front. They are very good quality sights and are just like the MVA sights. Like anything, you get what you pay for. I know I wouldn't be happy unless I had a good quality sights. If the sights these guys say to get are ones found on rifles in the winners circle than that would be endorsement enough for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast