Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In need of a gun smith for decent trigger jobs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Art,

Fifty plus years of having 1911's and 8 that I can put in front of me with 3lb or less triggers guarantees that I can tell a 6lb-7 trigger from a 3 lb. But, I will borrow a gauge so I can back up what I am saying. I'll put money on its 6-7lb.
    I hear that, I'm in the same boat. 5 lbs livable, 6-7 OMG can't hit anything.....

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Have done a total one trigger job on a 1911. Before I started, it had about a 5 3/4lb pull. When I returned it to the customer, he dry fired it, then turned to me with a big grin and asked what I got it down to. I told him to try it again After that I told him that it was now just over 4 lbs. It was so smooth and short enough that he thought it was much lower. The only tool used was a fine Arkansas stone.

Banned
    Precise angles are needed for a decent trigger job. Sure, you can make it feel better lightly stoning the sear if you know what you are doing. The idea that I wouldn't know the difference between a 4 lb trigger job or a 5+ lb trigger job is somewhat amusing since I have played with guns in excess of 50 years. Generally I can pick up a pistol or revolver and be within 1/4-1/2 lb in guessing the trigger pull. There is no way I will even begin to settle for a 4 lb trigger pull even if its smooth. Its just not good enough for my target shooting. Those wishing to comment here please be advised that I DONT CARRY a 1911 with a light touch trigger. I like to target shoot and as such I enjoy a lite trigger and so do my scores.

Banned
    Pulled the trigger so to speak yesterday and since I was in the neighborhood I stopped into Brownells site in Iowa and picked up the Series I fixture with the 1911 adapter and a 1/2"x1/2"x6" fine stone. Looking forward to taking my new Springfield Range Master apart after measuring the trigger pull at the gun shop. I will post with my before and after results. If it works with good results I will take apart the wifes Kimber and my S&W 1911 from the custom shop and post the before and after results of each for your enjoyment.

Banned
    It didn't happen unless there are pictures...right?

Attachment 214719
    Attachment 214720
    Attachment 214721
    Attachment 214722

Banned
    Its costly to buy the tools but hopefully I can do as good as the common trigger jobs in my area.

Banned
    The trigger gauge arrived yesterday so I did measurements on the Springfield Range Master. The results are surprising. I expected a 6-7 lb trigger and the results were showing the trigger was at 7.5lbs. That is a nasty trigger pull for something so highly rated by those purchasing it.

I set up the Series One Custom fixture and proceeded to play with the sear. With polishing the trigger surfaces and stoning the sear I was able to get results in the 3.75lb range. I'm going to make the assumption that if I change the hammer spring and the grip safety spring I can get the trigger pull in a more respectful range one that suites me more.

Banned
    Ordered the parts from Brownells today
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 02-26-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Banned
    Waiting patiently for my parts to arrive this week. The trigger job my first in a very long time came out really well and I think the addition of the different springs will put me in the ball park with thetrigger pull rate that I am looking for.

Did some checking of several other 1911's in the stable. The wifes kimber came out at 5lbs. My S&W 1911 from the custom shop is in at 4.5lbs. My colt officers in stainless is in at 4lbs. And my National Match Colt is in at 3.5lbs. More to check and more to play with.

Banned
    Looks like my parts will arrive March 1st. Update after spring change.

Banned
    Parts did arrive Feb 28th and I changed out the hammer spring and the sear spring. The results were great I have a trigger in the 2.5-3 lb range with no creep and its crisp and clean. It functions correctly resets and works great. I'll have to do a few more at home now to actually pay for the jig, adapters, and stones.

So, I went from a worthless 7.5 trigger to one in the 2.5-3lb range that is both safe nd functions correctly. I did ok in my opinion.

Boolit Master

Did you change the hammer too?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Did you change the hammer too?
    No, I left the stock hammer in. I'm thinking I might be able to get it a bit better by changing the hammer. I think I did a good job polishing and doing the sear to end up as good as I did.

Boolit Master

On mine I think the factory hammer was the junkiest part.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    On mine I think the factory hammer was the junkiest part.
    Mine looked ok but the real test would have been to look at it under a microscope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12