WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: ElPaso Weaver question

ElPaso Weaver question

I have a K4-1 with the duplex reticle. Does anyone what MOA the center fine hairs subtend? This is the space between the coarse outside hairs. With knowledge of this detail, a person can use the scope as a range-finder, though admittedly not for precision purposes.

Thanks,
    PBSmith

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't know, but you could make a graph, grid of sorts, and place it on the 100 yard line, then take note of the spatial relation of the various scope features.

Good idea, have done something similar before. Might have to go that route if it doesn't stop raining here. Thanks

725, do you believe that would work indoors, at close range?

Watching this. I have 2 K4's with Dual X reticle. It might be a good antler spread indicator as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Watching this. I have 2 K4's with Dual X reticle. It might be a good antler spread indicator as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Yes, the idea goes back to Weaver's old range-finder reticle that had two fine horizontal wires spaced 6 MOA apart (3 inches at 50 yds, 6 inches at 100 yards, 12 at 200, etc.)

You had to know the size of your target to make the idea useful. Or, if range is known, you might estimate size of your target.

Following the suggestion of Member 725, I sighted on targets of known dimensions at range 200 yards. My K4-1's vertical wires subtend four feet at that range. That's four feet between the ends of the coarse vertical wires.

On a steel El Paso Weaver K6 Widefield, the same exercise shows its duplex reticle subtends 30" at 200 yards.

Both of these scopes preceded the Micro-Trac Weavers from El Paso.

A few years back I bought a Weaver K4 Widefield MicroTrac from Iron Sight in Tulsa and had them install two very fine horizontal wires that subtend 16" at 200 yards. This can be useful in varmint hunting if you know the average size of your target.

I was wrong, I only have one 70's all steel K4 with Dual X- the others are post and standard. The picket points subtend 24" at 100 yards. Sounds like yours does as well.