Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 1 in 60" twist barrel

Boolit Master

1 in 60" twist barrel

The Ball-et and Maxi-Ball was made for these slow twist barrels? Was wondering.

I am going to order a left handed Lymans Great Plains Rifle flinter in January (when the state pays its workers the back pay it owes us!). Would like to get it in 1-60" twist for patched balls for Sunday shoots at the range. Then be able to use a conical as above for deer. Yes, I do have faith in a patched ball to drop a deer, but I am liking the conicals. Open to other suggestions.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Grand Master

What caliber? Twist also depends on the caliber being a larger caliber does not need as much twist as a smaller caliber.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Lyman lists 1 in 60" for both the 50 and 54 calibers. The Great Plains Hunter has the 1 in 32" twist. If I can't use the conicals, I will just get the 54 caliber.

Lefty

Boolit Grand Master

I've never shot the ballets before but would think they should do good in a 54. Maybe not as good as a RB or maybe as good who knows until you try. Certainly it should do good enough for deer critters. Lee REALS would probably work. I shot them in my 45 with a 1-66 twist and they seemed to be on the edge. I'd get two good shots and a flier but still good enough for deer. I don't recall what my 50 would do with the 1-66 twist but my 50 with a 1-48 twist was real accurate. If you are going to go with a conical in the 1-60 try to stick with the shorter ones. They do better in the slower twist.
    Aim small, miss small!

Perm-Banned
    the lyman .54 in 1/60 twist will be very accurate with blackpowder and a roundball. it will take deer with ease to 200 yards. i would suggest a magspark 209 shot gun primer conversion nipple for instant 100 percent ignition every time. i gave my lyman to my son and it was a tack driver.

Boolit Master
    all I can say them il. deer must be some tough critters. I killed pa. md. and va. deer with a .45 round ball and 60 gr. 3f even to 100 yd even a little more. even shot a buffalo with the .50 cal lyman .gpr with a round ball now that one I used 80 gr. 3f.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    all I can say them il. deer must be some tough critters. I killed pa. md. and va. deer with a .45 round ball and 60 gr. 3f even to 100 yd even a little more. even shot a buffalo with the .50 cal lyman .gpr with a round ball now that one I used 80 gr. 3f.
    LOL, Yep Bob they are pretty tough! LOL
    No, I know the RB will do the trick. Like I said, this Lyman GPR will be primary a Sunday BP Match shooter. But I like to hunt with it as well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    the lyman .54 in 1/60 twist will be very accurate with blackpowder and a roundball. it will take deer with ease to 200 yards. i would suggest a magspark 209 shot gun primer conversion nipple for instant 100 percent ignition every time. i gave my lyman to my son and it was a tack driver.
    I saw that conversion kit and was wondering about it. But mine will be a flinter.
    Did you use BH209 in it or just straight BP?

Lefty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    I've never shot the ballets before but would think they should do good in a 54. Maybe not as good as a RB or maybe as good who knows until you try. Certainly it should do good enough for deer critters. Lee REALS would probably work. I shot them in my 45 with a 1-66 twist and they seemed to be on the edge. I'd get two good shots and a flier but still good enough for deer. I don't recall what my 50 would do with the 1-66 twist but my 50 with a 1-48 twist was real accurate. If you are going to go with a conical in the 1-60 try to stick with the shorter ones. They do better in the slower twist.
    I was told the shorter ones would work better.
    I was thinking of paper patching them like idahoron did and maybe the patch will aid it.

Boolit Grand Master

What kind of deer are you shooting that you need a maxi ball? You will get less accuracy at 100 yards and less killing power as the heavier conical slugs don't upset much in deer size game and tend to punch through. You are way better off with a round bal in a 1-60 barrel. If I wanted to shoot conicals I would go with 1-48 max and 1-32 or 1-28 would be best.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    Back in the day before I knew any better, I shot 370gr Maxis from a 1-66" twist CVA Mountain Rifle. They shot similar sized groups at 50 yards as did patched RBs. IMO, they probably aren't very stable in that twist, so may tumble soon upon encountering a critter. The same has been reported with 1-48" twist....

With a flintlock you WILL need REAL BP. If I were you and going to buy a LGP, I would just buy the .54 and shoot PRBs.
    Yep, I was thinking the same. I will have to run to St Louis to get it, but at least they do have BP.
    Lefty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    What kind of deer are you shooting that you need a maxi ball? You will get less accuracy at 100 yards and less killing power as the heavier conical slugs don't upset much in deer size game and tend to punch through. You are way better off with a round bal in a 1-60 barrel. If I wanted to shoot conicals I would go with 1-48 max and 1-32 or 1-28 would be best.
    I will agree with you on the certain conicals I mentioned might not to as accurate as PRB. But a soft casted ball-et of lead will flatten out on game.

And its not that I have to shoot the conicals, I was just wondering what concial I could shoot out of my Sunday target flintlock if/when I took it hunting. The twist will be 1 in 60", because its main purpose is to shoot PRB on Sundays at the range turkey shoots.

And yes a PRB will kill a deer, even a bison. I just was wondering. And I like to use as big as a bullet as possible.

Lefty

Boolit Master
    then another option is get the gpr rifle in .54 for hunting. then get drop in barrel in .40- .45 for the matches. that is what I did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    then another option is get the gpr rifle in .54 for hunting. then get drop in barrel in .40- .45 for the matches. that is what I did.
    I am guessing you are speaking of Green Mountain barrels? That does sound like good plan.

Boolit Master
    there are others too. bob hoyt in Fairfield pa. makes barrels. I have one of his in .40 cal. for matches.

Boolit Master

And here I thought I was going to get off cheap on this project! Oh well, starting to really like PB&J!
    I will have a look. I have a bit before Springfield lets loose of the money.

Lefty