Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners

View Poll Results: Would you buy a silencers?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would never buy a silencer, they're dumb.

9 3.78%
  • I would buy one if they were like buying a handgun, background check, etc,

106 44.54%
  • I would buy one only if they were sold as an accessory, like grips, or a sling.

98 41.18%
  • I already own one and have gone through the NFA paper chase.

56 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: poll for silencers.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarrior View Post
    Horse dung. W/O the NRA we would be just like every other "civilized" country. Totally disarmed and at the mercy of the liberal elites.

25 bucks a year is a small price to pay to keep our firearms. Take a trip to England, France, Germany or Australia and ask any gun owner if he/she wishes they had had an NRA ! (Or just ask the gun owners in any blue state how much better off they would be w/o the NRA !)

to edit a classic: Fools and their guns are soon parted !
    The NRA did not write the second amendment, they did write gun control legislation that they now oppose. Know your history, or be doomed.

Boolit Bub
    As mentioned in a previous reply, in UK & Ireland (maybe Europe in general?) we call them sound moderators but the same people who are determined to describe cartridges as bullets and bullets as heads (wherever that one came from!) insist on calling them silencers so like bullets/heads it has stuck pretty fast.
    In the day we were only allowed to have them for .22's and a few specially made shotguns. If you mentioned ones for larger calibre firearms a sharp intake of breath could be heard eminating from the Home Office, hence the Police.
    THEN the UK Forestry Commission, who look after all 'national' wooded property including the deer control, started getting slammed with hearing loss compensation cases from their full time deer controllers and all of a sudden moderators went from prohibited to mandatory on areas under their control so the Home Office/Police had to accept them.
    Up till now moderators for larger than .22 have been regarded as a firearm in their own right with serial numbers recorded, etc. but I understand that deregulation is imminent.
    As far as accuracy is concerned, when they get warmed up they have a tendency to alter the point of impact but this seems to vary from one to another.
    I personally do not see any point in having one on a target rifle but they are definitely useful on a .22 for controlling rabbits and on larger calibres if wearing ear protection offends your sensibilities.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    The NRA did not write the second amendment, they did write gun control legislation that they now oppose. Know your history, or be doomed.
    This. Except the NRA only opposes unconstitutional laws when it suits their own agenda. For example, GOA and JPFO have supported repealing NFA, but NRA steadfastly refuses to get behind the movement to repeal.
    There are lots of gun owners who won't give one red cent to the NRA as long as they continue to support keeping the NFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    This. Except the NRA only opposes unconstitutional laws when it suits their own agenda. For example, GOA and JPFO have supported repealing NFA, but NRA steadfastly refuses to get behind the movement to repeal.
    There are lots of gun owners who won't give one red cent to the NRA as long as they continue to support keeping the NFA.
    There is some good in the NRA, but it is not all that, as the kids say. The money did not win the election, NRA members did not win the election, it took a whole lot more people than just NRA members. If it was only NRA members that decided Hillary would be president. Also they spent money, but Hillary groups spent much more, so to say it was the money they threw is not accurate either.

We still have firearms because of our culture, and the second amendment. Without the second we would be just like the other gun banning countries. There is no doubt that the 2A has been twisted beyond what it actually says, but that twisting can only go so far.

I stopped being an NRA member due to their Toxic attitude towards factions of the gun community that does not tow their line. Like constitutional carry, and open carry. They are only lately jumping on the band wagon, probably because of gun owners who are not letting them get away with it. Another problem is every single pro gun law they get passed HAS gun control buried in the bill, every single one.

NRA was not lobbying until 1975, not 1934. So they had zero influence on nfa. Now in my opinion, they really thought, as most conservatives do until quickly proven wrong, that they could negotiate with libs and agree to pass gun restrictions that "made sense". They have been proven wrong, just like you might think it is ok to have a pet snake until it bites you. The only good snake is a dead snake and the only good firearms law is a dead law.

I would dearly love to have several of them! I'd be more interested in them for my rifles though, only a few for handguns. Suppressed levergun, I want!

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    NRA was not lobbying until 1975, not 1934. So they had zero influence on nfa. Now in my opinion, they really thought, as most conservatives do until quickly proven wrong, that they could negotiate with libs and agree to pass gun restrictions that "made sense". They have been proven wrong, just like you might think it is ok to have a pet snake until it bites you. The only good snake is a dead snake and the only good firearms law is a dead law.

"The NRA supported The National Firearms Act of 1934 which taxes and requires registration of such firearms as machine guns, sawed-off rifles and sawed-off shotguns. … NRA support of Federal gun legislation did not stop with the earlier Dodd bills. It currently backs several Senate and House bills which, through amendment, would put new teeth into the National and Federal Firearms Acts." —American Rifleman, March 1968, P. 22

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd02/nra-supported-nfa34.htm Jews for the Preservation of Ownership NRA Supported the National Firearms Act of 1934

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarrior View Post
    Being against cans is like not being an NRA member. Might as well register as a Democrat.
    I'm afraid that we may have thrown our lot in with a mad man...I no longer think where there is smoke there's fire. I think there's a freakin' inferno...
    [

Boolit Buddy
    So with screw on suppressors it's easy to replace/refurbish. With the integrally suppressed firearms does it become a "send to a gunsmith" proposition?
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    So with screw on suppressors it's easy to replace/refurbish. With the integrally suppressed firearms does it become a "send to a gunsmith" proposition?
    Well per ATF any modifications must be done by a manufacturer, so for instance if I want a can re-cored I need to send it to a licensed manufacturer with an SOT. WTH integral units, it depends on the construction. Generally it's just a suppressor that it welded to the barrel, often with porting and baffles along the length of the barrel, and one would just ship the entire barrel and suppressor to the licensed manufacturer. I have a 10/22 that was done like that.

Boolit Master

Last I checked a manufacture/SOT could only fix their own. That is why Gemtec stopped fixing Cams from powder springs Mac's so the needed no wipes. Glad my 380 can got done before that.

When you form 1 a can YOU are the manufacture and can fix them just make sure you have no extra parts as 1 extra baffle is an unregistered silencer in it self. Destroy the bad part first before making the new one. Stupid Huh?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Last I checked a manufacture/SOT could only fix their own. That is why Gemtec stopped fixing Cams from powder springs Mac's so the needed no wipes. Glad my 380 can got done before that.

When you form 1 a can YOU are the manufacture and can fix them just make sure you have no extra parts as 1 extra baffle is an unregistered silencer in it self. Destroy the bad part first before making the new one. Stupid Huh?
    you are correct
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    you are correct
    No, he is in error - as a form 1 maker you would still need an SOT to repair because the ATF distinguished between a mfg and a maker!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post

Manufacturer can still do certain types of repairs and modifications. What ATF put a stop to was stuff like caliber changes or cutting the serial number out and welding it in as part of a new tube. Stalking Rhino is one of several companies that offers recoring and "jailbreaking" (converting sealed cans to user-serviceable) as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    Well per ATF any modifications must be done by a manufacturer, so for instance if I want a can re-cored I need to send it to a licensed manufacturer with an SOT. WTH integral units, it depends on the construction. Generally it's just a suppressor that it welded to the barrel, often with porting and baffles along the length of the barrel, and one would just ship the entire barrel and suppressor to the licensed manufacturer. I have a 10/22 that was done like that.
    That's kind of what I thought. IF the HPA passed and I could make/service my own, I'd probably do that rather than the admittedly attractive integrally suppressed jobs. But if it passed and I were a firearm manufacturer I'd push the integrally suppressed ones. I'd envision a lot of mergers if it passed. The current prices for just a can wouldn't last.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    Keep in mind that the NRA played a large hand in the writing, and supporting of the NFA, GCA, and GFSZA.
    The NRA does not write legislation.
    They can only lobby for or against it. They can only do so much, they had less influence back then and perhaps some poor leadership to boot.
    With out them we probably would have lost everything. Now would be a good time to support them and other groups while the momentum is swinging in our direction.

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    They need to be treated like firearms.
    In sc FTF transactions is fine
    Except they aren't firearms, so they should be treated as what they are. Accessories.

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Shouldn't be any paperwork. Should be able to make your own too.

Also, call it what you wish either silencer or suppressor. Either is correct.
    Agree 100%

Boolit Bub
    Would buy several if they were easier to get.

Boolit Bub
    Personally I say sell them like an accessory. Without a firearm what are they paperweights? Maybe throw then at someone? Either way without a firearm to attach them too, their just a hunk of material. I've always been intrigued on how other countries with stricter gun laws than our own encourage their use when our own country almost discourages their use.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast