MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: .311 Cast Buckshot Questions

Boolit Mold

.311 Cast Buckshot Questions

Hi all,

I have loaded a lot of Lee Cast slugs but just got the mold and cast some .311 round balls for a buckshot between 0 and1 for my 12 gauge.

Following the Lee data I was going to use 32.4gr of hs6 under 9 RBs 3 stacks of 3 in a Western target (Waa12) wad with AA hulls.

The payload is just under 1oz and the powder charge is the same as my 1oz slug load so that should be good. My question is can I use left over Alox lubed RBs in my buckshot loads? I cast and lubed a bunch to make target loads for my .303 British and have quite a few left.

Can I mix the lubed RBs with fresh cast RBs in Buck**** loads? My biggest concern is that the lubed RBs will stick togther or to the Wad and that may make the shells unsafe when fired.

Thanks,
    Cactus

Boolit Master

I would'nt think it would be a problem plenty of force when firing them to separate them. FB

Boolit Mold

00 Buck loads

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    Hi all,

I have loaded a lot of Lee Cast slugs but just got the mold and cast some .311 round balls for a buckshot between 0 and1 for my 12 gauge.

Following the Lee data I was going to use 32.4gr of hs6 under 9 RBs 3 stacks of 3 in a Western target (Waa12) wad with AA hulls.

The payload is just under 1oz and the powder charge is the same as my 1oz slug load so that should be good. My question is can I use left over Alox lubed RBs in my buckshot loads? I cast and lubed a bunch to make target loads for my .303 British and have quite a few left.

Can I mix the lubed RBs with fresh cast RBs in Buck**** loads? My biggest concern is that the lubed RBs will stick togther or to the Wad and that may make the shells unsafe when fired.

Thanks,
    Cactus
    I agree that it would not be a problem , usually Alox , Lee I presume , drys fairly hard after awhile and should not cause any sticking together...

What I use for Buckshot is the WAA12R red wad in a 2 3/4" hull , I use the Lee 35 cal RB mold which drops the shot out at .345" or 00 1/2
    I load 8 pellets in stacks of two , can't do the three stack with these in a plastic wad cup.
    I also use Grex buffer in 00 Buck loads , just to cover the Buck.

I've read also that you should cast your Buckshot from Wheel-Weight lead , as harder is better , less deformation in the firing and inside the bore... I drop the Buck from the mold into a 5 gal bucket of water for a bit more surface hardening.

All the best in your loading , Buckshot loading is a science of it's own , but sure is fun too!

Bob