MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unprovoked bear attack

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Unprovoked bear attack

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/08/bla...#axzz6WtYZoMi7

Bear spray failed, and Canadian gun laws killed this woman.
    Last edited by waksupi; 09-02-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Someone needs to edit the title to read Unprovoked [Black] Bear Attack

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Someone needs to edit the title to read Unprovoked [Black] Bear Attack
    When you're right, you're right!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    The article mentions the use of pepper spray and bear spray. I would hope that they had true bear spray and not a small can of pepper spray. Some animals are not affected by capzasin too much and I believe that it breaks down with time. I wonder if their can was old.

I've had this conversation many times on cycling forums regarding firearms as compared to bear spray. Having flown into Canada 4 years in a row to cycle south in the mountains through grizzly country, the only option that I've ever had was to carry bear spray. Those 4 cans all made it home with me too. If you look at videos of bear charges, the time to react is so fast that most people will not be able to get off an accurate shot or 2 depending on the closing rate. Putting a cloud of bear spray between you and a bear is an impressive deterrent that I will take over a handgun any day of the week. It is not necessary to spray direct into the face of an aggressive bear, just put the cloud toward the bear.

I have demonstrated shooting bear spray to people in the past. Oftentimes people never experience shooting it until they need it. The last time, we were in the back yard on a still day and I shot it out away from the house. My wife, God love her, was on the back porch observing. About a minute later she started hacking and sputtering as she made her way into the house. There was a very subtle air current that brought some of the spray back behind us and she got a very light exposure. As I headed in to check on her, it got me too. If that small of a exposure caused us issues, I cannot imagine what a direct blast would do to a bear with their highly sensitive olfactory sense.

After my first trip to Canada, I had returned and a few days later my wife told me of a mountain biker being killed by a grizzly near Kallispell. She said, "You weren't near there were you?" I told her, "Dear, I flew out of Kalispell." She came in and hugged me letting me know that she was glad that I was home. Last year, we rode within 20 miles of the attack.
    https://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outd...y-bear-attack/
    My friend, Dan, who live in the area knew the guy who was killed. He had a GoPro running and the guys at the bike shop up there saw the video. He was going fast, came over a rise and T-Boned the grizzly who attacked and then ran off.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    The article mentions the use of pepper spray and bear spray. I would hope that they had true bear spray and not a small can of pepper spray. Some animals are not affected by capzasin too much and I believe that it breaks down with time. I wonder if their can was old.

I've had this conversation many times on cycling forums regarding firearms as compared to bear spray. Having flown into Canada 4 years in a row to cycle south in the mountains through grizzly country, the only option that I've ever had was to carry bear spray. Those 4 cans all made it home with me too. If you look at videos of bear charges, the time to react is so fast that most people will not be able to get off an accurate shot or 2 depending on the closing rate. Putting a cloud of bear spray between you and a bear is an impressive deterrent that I will take over a handgun any day of the week. It is not necessary to spray direct into the face of an aggressive bear, just put the cloud toward the bear.

I have demonstrated shooting bear spray to people in the past. Oftentimes people never experience shooting it until they need it. The last time, we were in the back yard on a still day and I shot it out away from the house. My wife, God love her, was on the back porch observing. About a minute later she started hacking and sputtering as she made her way into the house. There was a very subtle air current that brought some of the spray back behind us and she got a very light exposure. As I headed in to check on her, it got me too. If that small of a exposure caused us issues, I cannot imagine what a direct blast would do to a bear with their highly sensitive olfactory sense.

After my first trip to Canada, I had returned and a few days later my wife told me of a mountain biker being killed by a grizzly near Kallispell. She said, "You weren't near there were you?" I told her, "Dear, I flew out of Kalispell." She came in and hugged me letting me know that she was glad that I was home. Last year, we rode within 20 miles of the attack.
    https://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outd...y-bear-attack/
    My friend, Dan, who live in the area knew the guy who was killed. He had a GoPro running and the guys at the bike shop up there saw the video. He was going fast, came over a rise and T-Boned the grizzly who attacked and then ran off.
    I live just south of Kalispell. I know of several bear spray failures, mostly due to high winds. We have 30-50 mph winds forecast for today. Not a good bet. Some poor sod in North Dakota would be wondering why his eyes were burning?

A few years ago a woman was killed by a black bear about ten miles NW of me. She had been feeding it, so it was a self inflicted wound.
    The mountain biker that was killed was just plain screwed. This was about 30 miles from here. Basically ran into the bear on the trail with his bike, that's all she wrote.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I live just south of Kalispell. I know of several bear spray failures, mostly due to high winds. We have 30-50 mph winds forecast for today. Not a good bet. Some poor sod in North Dakota would be wondering why his eyes were burning?

A few years ago a woman was killed by a black bear about ten miles NW of me. She had been feeding it, so it was a self inflicted wound.
    The mountain biker that was killed was just plain screwed. This was about 30 miles from here. Basically ran into the bear on the trail with his bike, that's all she wrote.
    I am sitting here at work wearing one of my Wheatons Bicycles T-Shirts. I LOVE your area of Montana, especially up the flathead valley west of Glacier.

Boolit Master
    My daughter got some herself test firing bear mace. She was not incapacitated and sprays outside in the wind are unreliable. I wear a 44 when I'm out and about in the backcountry.

Animals are not dumb. I know I can inflict damage if attacked. Even if they don't recognize the gun they can see the attitude. Most of the time, that's enough. The gun is loaded in case it isn't.

I've seen animals leave when guns are brought out, spray cans, not so much.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Personally I feel its everyones responsibility to have situational awareness. Bears are a top
    Predator. BLK bears have a WHOLE LOT more mauling then the other big three combined. Simply cause there is more contact. Between and a "man" and a blk bear.

Sure if they where armed AND KNEW HOW TO PROPERLY USE a firearm the outcome coulda been different. But back to my first comment, she was seemingly not even aware enough to realize the dangers.

May she RIP, and god bless her children and husband.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    black bears are renowned for their unpredictability, thats what makes them the most dangerous, that and foolish human behavior in their presence. DO NOT fool with the black bears, they dont mind to stop what they're doing right now, and maul or kill, just because they can. Bear spray good, but some like spicey food, but not much love for 12 gauge with a blend of slugs and buck shot, quite often the noise is enough deterrent.

Forest Service used to disallow guns in the parks, after a few workers lost to bear, changed the tune. Years ago there was a 'quick draw' test between man and bear, man lost. Guess Gov. is more worried about poaching than citizen protection.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    I would think, during an attack, the brae would get more agitated buy being sprayed.
    We don't have bears here, so have not idea if bear spray works or not.
    But we do have sharks.
    Shark repellent during a frenzy does not work.
    They will sometimes eat the repellent bag.

Just waiting for some body and a bear to mix it up here in our area ....lake Tahoe , gone crazy this year with tourist , refugees.
    Of all things , the bears are walking into the stores here ... the link shows both incidents lately , "OH wait , he doesn't have a mask !" ..
    link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z30Xg5-9oY4
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Idaho has a LOT of Black bears but only a very few Grizzly over on the eastern border or deep in the Frank Church Wilderness. A Black is most dangerous when startled or has young about. In general a Black has a healthy respect for the danger of humans and will most likely avoid contact if possible. That said I wouldn't want to trip over a napping Black in a huckleberry patch. Gp

Boundary county has quite a few grizz up near the boarder. They would raid the bosses bee hives quite often
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

I don't understand how anyone could quick draw a can of bear spray any better than I can draw a pistol or shoulder a long gun.
    But I will say I've never been accused of being the smartest man in the room, just the most handsome.
    I think we all agree it sure as hell isnt the Govs place to tell me how to protect myself.

I can get a 45 out and hit a 12 inch target at 10 yds in less than a second if the thong isnt on the hammer. My bfr is a little slower due to the weight and length
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy
    A good read is 'Night of the grizzlies' by Jack Olsen. About the Griz attacks in Glacier NP in the 60's. There was also a PBS documentry on it.
    Shaune509

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    I can get a 45 out and hit a 12 inch target at 10 yds in less than a second if the thong isnt on the hammer. My bfr is a little slower due to the weight and length
    Problem is, a bear's brain is the size of a tennis ball, and it's moving fast, often at less than ten yards when seen in the bush. Adrenaline kinda kicks in, too. Throw a tennis ball at a wall as hard as you can, and put a bullet in it before it gets back to you. Let us know how you do at that.

Boolit Master
    One of my favorite videos. Jasper Alberta.
    https://youtu.be/SLMa5-n2OVc

You need your head on a swivel when in their territory. Oftentimes cycling, I'd be on double track roads with clear view around but sometimes, I'd get on tight single track where your on edge all the time. When cycling, my bear spray is in a holster right by the right brakes and shift lever. I've pulled it out very quickly when needed. Especially 2 years ago on cabin pass when we spooked a mountain lion about 25 feet away from us.

Boolit Master
    We humans need to understand a few basic things.

We are NOT always invincible against animals.
    Animals can & will attack for various reasons,, sometimes we know the reason, & sometimes not.
    We humans have tried to develop methods of protection against potentially aggressive animals.
    And lastly, NOTHING is guaranteed or perfect.
    Be prepared.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast