Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duplex loads and slugs...

Boolit Grand Master

Duplex load... slingshot???

Tell me more!

Boolit Grand Master

I've been having so much fun with the muzzleloader, I have not loaded any slug loads for this. Maybe this week with all the rain coming.

My plan is to use the full bore round ball at about 580 grains. I'll test both Bluedot and STEEL powder. I'll use the Federal top gun hull with both Federal 209A primers and CCI 209 (standard) primers. I will also use Fiocchi hulls with their Fiocchi 616 primer. The wads will be an x12x gas seal, likely 3 or 4 nitro cards, and a scoop of PSB buffer. Since Cap'n mentioned erratic results, I'll test starting rather low charges. I'm thinking 29 to 38 grains Bluedot, and 35 to 43 grains STEEL. The test gun will be the Mossberg 500 with a 28" fixed modified choke, with strain gage glued to it for pressure testing.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    For the really heavy slugs this may not be a good thing. 1100 fps with a 1 3/4 ounce slug is bad, 1200 fps is brutal. If you could get 1300 fps with STEEL, you would be hurting bad.

I'll pressure test some to see how they like different primers. I also have 100 Federal 300 grain trophy copper sabot slugs I can load. That might be fun to try with STEEL. I know I can get 1900 fps with bluedot with those. I wonder if STEEL couldn't break 2100-2200 fps.
    I’ve pushed those accurate mold 770’s to the 1250-1300 FPS range. Stout loads for sure.

I’ve got those trophy copper sabots in the 2000 FPS range with Longshot, but the keyholed the hell out of the target (I did a YouTube video on them). Blew the bases, too. That’s my fault for having a hard launch on them.

Used 38 grs of Longshot for that load. Next, I tried 25 grs of unique. Those shot 2” at 50 yards in the uppers 1400’s, almost reaching 1500 FPS.

I’m shooting for at least 1800 FPS with these slugs. 1500 FPS at 100 yards on a deer might not be enough “hammer” to open these bad boys up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I shot those trophy copper slugs in the 2000 fps MV Federal factory load. I recovered half a dozen from the 200 yard berm, and 3 were slightly expanded, and the other 3 were practically none. My estimate is they hit the berm at 1000-1100 fps. I think STEEL could be a good powder for these. I'm not sure how it will behave with really heavy slugs, but I know it works great with solid lighter payloads (1 ounce steel shot) at high velocities.

I shot those trophy copper slugs in the 2000 fps MV Federal factory load. I recovered half a dozen from the 200 yard berm, and 3 were slightly expanded, and the other 3 were practically none. My estimate is they hit the berm at 1000-1100 fps. I think STEEL could be a good powder for these. I'm not sure how it will behave with really heavy slugs, but I know it works great with solid lighter payloads (1 ounce steel shot) at high velocities.
    I’ll run a few through the LabRadar to see what we’re getting at 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    I’ve pushed those accurate mold 770’s to the 1250-1300 FPS range. Stout loads for sure.

I’ve got those trophy copper sabots in the 2000 FPS range with Longshot, but the keyholed the hell out of the target (I did a YouTube video on them). Blew the bases, too. That’s my fault for having a hard launch on them.

Used 38 grs of Longshot for that load. Next, I tried 25 grs of unique. Those shot 2” at 50 yards in the uppers 1400’s, almost reaching 1500 FPS.

I’m shooting for at least 1800 FPS with these slugs. 1500 FPS at 100 yards on a deer might not be enough “hammer” to open these bad boys up.
    Yeah but Leon,,, You're young and built stout. We are old and feeble and can only take so much.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

I'm even younger, and likely even more stout. The problem is I'm not as tough as him.

I've got some good news about Marty's Arms. I had sent him my mold back, and he made me a new one. The new mold drops 4 perfect .736"-.737" balls every time. I cast about 100 last night for the upcoming testing. It sure is easier with a 4 cavity. They are lighter than I thought, they are very consistent at about 562 grains with COWW alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Yeah but Leon,,, You're young and built stout. We are old and feeble and can only take so much.

Randy
    Pain is temporary. Memories are forever!

I'm even younger, and likely even more stout. The problem is I'm not as tough as him.

I've got some good news about Marty's Arms. I had sent him my mold back, and he made me a new one. The new mold drops 4 perfect .736"-.737" balls every time. I cast about 100 last night for the upcoming testing. It sure is easier with a 4 cavity. They are lighter than I thought, they are very consistent at about 562 grains with COWW alloy.
    Awaiting your results. I need a full bore RB mold. Lin got one that throws a .712” (I believe) but don’t think it’s good for anything.

Boolit Grand Master

"Pain is temporary. Memories are forever!"

BT the pain part is probably right but you may be rethinking the "Memories are forever!" when you get a little older...

Wait, what was I saying? Did you call me or did I call you?

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    "Pain is temporary. Memories are forever!"

BT the pain part is probably right but you may be rethinking the "Memories are forever!" when you get a little older...

Wait, what was I saying? Did you call me or did I call you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12