Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .454 Casull Load For Large Animal Defense....

Boolit Buddy

.454 Casull Load For Large Animal Defense....

If the bullet pictured below were at 362 grains, 18-21 bhn, and had a muzzle velocity of a little over 1,600 FPS from a 20" barrel rifle.....

Would it be an acceptable defensive round in northwest mountain areas where large, startled, peeved animals could possibly be encountered?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#45-360D.jpg 
Views:	677 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	60650
    Last edited by Southern Shooter; 02-07-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Boolit Master

It may not be possible to reach 1,600 fps with the 365 gr bullet pictured in a revolver, although 1,400 fps is obtainable & should do the job on them big critters.

Banned

It will kill anything on earth. So, yes, it would work, and work well

Boolit Buddy

Platform...Rifle

Sorry. I forgot to include that this would be fired from a 20" barrel rifle.

Boolit Master
    no you did not it is in your first post

Banned

well.
    i'd say you have a high chance of creating enough blunt force trauma to make the animal go away.
    you should have good penetration,and a good wound cavity also.
    i wouldn't rely on antimony to get your bhn though.

Boolit Buddy
    My cast bullets are water-quenched clip-on wheel weights. Would those be hard enough?

Boolit Master
    I didn't know we still had wooly mammoths up here but it would do the job on them too at 1400 fps at inside of 50 yards. Softer lead would work just fine if you want the boolit not to break up on impact against the skull especially since there would likely be a gas check on that boolit judging by the design. Try the "wet phone book " terminal ballistics test (14" of soaked phone books) on it and put a piece of 7/16" piece of plywood about an inch into the phone books to simulate a bone and see what happens. Bet the boolit comes through if shot at 40 yards.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 02-07-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Boolit Master
    I run my Lee cast 300 gr WFN's out my Puma at 1800 + fps and they will stomp anything on four legs! I'd bet they'd zip end to end on just about any critter. Heck the 240 gr XTP mags at 2200 fps would do the same!

Boolit Master
    The Casull would be good on large game, the 45/70 better.

Bears & cougars are the only "biters" in the PNW woods. Usually they run away when startled, especially the cats but... Your bullet and load will be fine. If you're really worried, you could throw a 300 or 338 mag over your other shoulder just in case.

Boolit Mold
    I love shootin out my 2.5 barrel Roger Alaskan. I am considering buying the Rossi in 454 C

Boolit Mold
    Why would the 45-70 be better? there is nothing the 454 Casull will not take down in North America. It was designed to take down Grizzly's and I have seen it used to take down big game in Africa (Elephants and Rhino's) Oh My.

Boolit Mold
    Why would the 45-70 be better? there is nothing the 454 Casull will not take down in North America. It was designed to take down Grizzly's and I have seen it used to take down big game in Africa (Elephants and Rhino's) Oh My.

Boolit Mold
    By the way thats a Ruger Alaskan, I have not shot a Roger Alaskan Yet........

Moderator Emeritus

The question is can you shove the weapon in question in whatevers mouth that is chewing on you for the second shot? Then can you get a rifle in play when said mama bear starts her charge @ 20 yards or less? Many ranges are set up to practice fast access draw for a handgun but few allow the muzzle to start over your shoulder and get downrange. Finding a place to practice fast access to a rifle is a larger problem than it is with a pistol.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 02-13-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I shoot alot of .454 handgun and even more .45/70, the 400-500gr. slugs (wfn) of the 45/70 are going much faster then the 300-400gr .454 handgun slugs, giving much more knock down and penetration.
    For our big game(canada) we are not allowed to use pistols, but i can assure you that the 45/70 works like no other.

Boolit Master
    Considering your neck of the woods, actually just about anywhere in the US with some exclusions, you'll have what you need for penetration and the design's meplat is ample to make a good wound channel. If I were going to be looking down at a grizzly bear I would probably prefer to do it with my 375 H&H. The flip side though, if I was not hanging out in the presence of an animal that wanted me as lunch then I'd feel comfortable with the SRH/Rossi 454 Casull combo.

i believe guns and ammo had an article stating the 454 casull was capable of going through 4-5 feet of meat and bone , wow thats when i had to buy one , super redhawk 7 1/4 '' barrel all the gun you need ... the ruger alaskan is a 454 casull with a snubby barrel 2-3'' advertized a good defence gun for big mean critters , so yes plenty of gun..
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Banned

It will go through more than five feet. A .375 H&H with an expanding bullet will not penetrate as far as the .454 with a cast bullet, not even close.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast