Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flaring a case neck for cast boolits

Banned

All the little things add up, they really do. What are you using a 1891 or 1909? I got a (get this) 1909 that has a brand new barrel on it. I about fell over when I seen it. The grooves are .3110000 Can't ask for more then that in a 7.65. I find a major difference in throats and bore dimension between the 91's and 09's, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Yes, the Lee Universal Neck Expanding tool will work. If you decide you want better, NOE sells expander spuds that replaces the Lee Universals spud.
    Plus one on these NOE expander plugs used in the Lee Universal Expander die. The NOE spuds being round not tapered give a consistent tension for the depth of the bullet and tiny amount of flare for a well defined depth at the case mouth.

Check out the pictures and you will see how they would give a better result. Also note the precision sizes so you can get just what you need for your oversized or undersized custom cast to the bore bullet.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...51mh1dhnv8l5t7
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Plus one on these NOE expander plugs used in the Lee Universal Expander die. The NOE spuds being round not tapered give a consistent tension for the depth of the bullet and tiny amount of flare for a well defined depth at the case mouth.

Check out the pictures and you will see how they would give a better result. Also note the precision sizes so you can get just what you need for your oversized or undersized custom cast to the bore bullet.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...51mh1dhnv8l5t7
    If that's the little bit of flare just right ahead of the big step up, then those look okay and are better then the M die.

Boolit Master

I just noticed that NOE no longer has the powder through expanders that they used to. Whats up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I just noticed that NOE no longer has the powder through expanders that they used to. Whats up with that?
    Your right. I haven't used them but I have used the Lee ones for pistol and like them a lot.

Yes VZ that little bit of a band is the flare and getting the neck size consistent makes seating bullet have a more consistent feel to the press. Smooth and all the cases require same pressure. I literally bought them for anything where I didn't already have a Lee powder through expander die that came with the die set.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    He hasn't had them in a long time. Some of the original ones didn't work properly. I believe the one for 9mm was one of them. I have a bunch of them but don't use them. The ones for the universal die are sized more appropriately.

That's one of the problems with the Lee Powder Through Expander...'oversized' casts.
    I got around that by running a regular sizer in front of the Lee Powder die. It adds a stroke but who cares, it's right.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Thanks everyone, yet again another informative thread. One thing I didn't mention in my original post is my boolits are sized oversize to begin with and the boolit shape that has no bevel on the plain base is giving me the most trouble in starting them in the case, I've lost a few cases because of these plain base boolits catching the edge of the cartridge case during seating, deforming the case mouth as the boolit is seated hence the need for a slight flare, just enough to clear the base and start the boolit properly in the cartridge case

I'll get the Lee universal expander die and deploy it in the station of my turret press, using it along with the standard powder thru expander die. I'll back off the powder thru expander die to give me just enough expansion/taper on the case for the correct case neck tension and then flare out the case neck in the next station. That should work well and give me exactly what I'm looking for. I don't size and decap my cartridge cases when charging and loading anyway. Sizing/decapping is done before I tumble clean my shot brass so that the primer pockets get cleaned (somewhat) during tumbling. That leaves an extra station open in my turret press for adding the universal die during the loading process. - JJ

Boolit Buddy
    I am loading 357 Maximum on my 550 Dillon using RCBS Dies. My bullets are NOE 360-180 WFN-GC sized to .357. I was having a problem getting the case in the Seater Die after flaring on the Dillon Powder Thru Expander enough to seat my cast bullets. I was wadding up way to many expensive cases. I took it out for a look and the die had no chamfer to get the belled case started into the die. I had a second Seating Die that I was using to apply the Roll Crimp, and it was made the same. I also have a RCBS 357 Taper Crimp die that I use for bullets with no crimping groove where you need it like the Hornady 140 FTX that I seat very long. I was going to get it chamfered with the others and discovered it had a really nice factory chamfer on it. I had the other two chamfered at the machine shop. Problem solved.
    One of my 357 Maximums has a .358 bore. It does not shoot the .357 sized bullets well at all. I have a larger Lube/Sizer die for it. I also got one of the NOE Expanders for loading the .358 bullets in that barrel.

Bob

Boolit Master
    I will throw a slightly different option out there. I really like the Lyman Multi-Expander and Powder Charge die. Basically a powder through M die that comes with about all the pistol caliber expanders you would ever need.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	742637(1).jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	207400

I use this with great success, and you can get different sizes of them.

RCBS neck expander die.

Boolit Grand Master

Many years ago I bought a small arbor press for eye glass work. I turned a few case neck expanders for it and use it for everything. Before that in the dark ages I used a 50 call dummy round and the palm of my hand. Both worked the press is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    He hasn't had them in a long time. Some of the original ones didn't work properly. I believe the one for 9mm was one of them. I have a bunch of them but don't use them. The ones for the universal die are sized more appropriately.
    If you have one of the old 9mm Dillon expanders NOE made, I'd gladly buy it from you. Something for me to tinker with. I'm really amazed that there isn't somebody selling m-style powder through dies like hot cakes, seems like there's a market for it.

Boolit Grand Master

They never made Dillon ones. They are for Lee powder through dies.

Boolit Master

I used to use the Lyman M die, but these days, I load several different nominally .30 cals and each one takes a slightly different diameter bullet. I've gone to the lee "case mouth flairing tool" since it is quick and easy to adjust for each different round.

Boolit Master
    Std expander die works fine for me in 357 using 358 sized boolits just flare the case enough to start the boolits without damaging it.use the expander dies for my .223 and .308 no problem.

Maybe I a missing something here, All of my Pistol die sets came with Powder through Expanding Die. They have worked perfectly ever since I started reloading (88). They just need to be adjusted correctly. For my Rifle reloading I use RCBS Neck expander die in the correct size and it will size the neck perfectly and flare just enough to let a gas checked lead bullet get started nicely. again correct adjustment is the key.

Hope this helps someone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12