Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rhineland 45 ACP Kit

Boolit Master

Rhineland 45 ACP Kit

I saw a thread on the forum that showed a 45 ACP carbine based on a Mauser surplus rifle. I've thought in the past this would be a fun piece to play with. There are 45 ACP semi-auto carbines out there, but I hate chasing my brass so this seemed like a good idea. I had an action around and an old stock that was the survivor of a plan gone bad. I added a piece of mahogany to the tip to lengthen the stock and here it is. A few forum members may recognize the stock. A word of caution on the Rhineland kit; it is a pretty good kit but it isn't quite a drop in thing as they would lead one to believe.

I've still got to get some sights installed but it has come together to my satisfaction.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Bub
    I bought one in 45 win mag, but I have not finished it ..... have you shot yours yet?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Greg in va View Post
    I bought one in 45 win mag, but I have not finished it ..... have you shot yours yet?
    Yep I sure did. It's a hoot but without sights it is a exercise in futility.

The nice thing about this project is it cost me the price ($160) of the kit; everything else I had laying around and a portion of that was given to me originally. Can we say CHEAP project?

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Bub
    I had a yugo 48 and I've started to inlet a sporter stock for it but have not finished it yet, I did drill and tap the receiver for a scope.....just need to find some one to forge the bolt down to clear the scope and I'll be good to go.

So you'll take $160 for it?

Nice job brother.

Wes
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    ............ and an old stock that was the survivor of a plan gone bad.............. A few forum members may recognize the stock.
    The sad thing is I can remember what the stock looked like before the former owner tried to pour molten metal into it; apparently in an ill-conceived attempt to anchor some sort of nose cap. Rumor has it that he used a piece of tinfoil from his hat to contain the mess from getting into the receiver area of the stock.

Btw Edd, did you manage to get all of the lead spatter out of the inside of the stock?
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch4122 View Post
    The sad thing is I can remember what the stock looked like before the former owner tried to pour molten metal into it; apparently in an ill-conceived attempt to anchor some sort of nose cap. Rumor has it that he used a piece of tinfoil from his hat to contain the mess from getting into the receiver area of the stock.

Btw Edd, did you manage to get all of the lead spatter out of the inside of the stock?
    All of the evidence has been disposed of, I am quite sure.[smilie=1

Edd

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by para45lda View Post
    So you'll take $160 for it?

Nice job brother.

Wes
    NO!

and thank you for the kind words.

Edd

Banned
    NICE work as always there Edd

That stock looks a whole lot nicer than the way you recieved it, but will the forearm tip stay on without a twelve inch long pewter retention pin running down the cleaning rod hole? Best be careful as it would be real bad if your TIP fell off.

There is still some evidence residing in a yet to smelt bucket in an undisclosed location last I knew.

Boolit Master
    What were some of the stumbling blocks when you built yours? I have thinking about ordering a vz24 to do the exact same conversion. Any help will be much appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master

The Yugo M48 type M98s won't work well. The short stubby 45 ACP needs the bolt extension on the left side of the bolt face to feed.

The extractors also need some tweaking and resahping for reliable feeding also.

A Dremel tool is need to finish the mag catch slot.

The mag well filler needs to be fitted so it sits as far forward in M98s mag well as possible.

Fit the depth of the mag well filler with a magazin and the bolt in place bfore finishing the mag catch hol in side of the mag well and before drilling retaining pin holes.

Short stubby SWCs don't feed well at all, RNs are best.

Think the assembly out before grinding or drilling.

If done correctly they are really fun little conversions. I've done 4 of them now; mine on a Spanish M98 action, one on a M93 action and 2 on Chinese M98 actions. I really like mine (it's the sporter).

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-17-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by arjacobson View Post
    What were some of the stumbling blocks when you built yours? I have thinking about ordering a vz24 to do the exact same conversion. Any help will be much appreciated.
    First thing I ran into was a minor problem installing the adapter block. I'd suggest that one get a magazine and release and fit the adapter to the Mauser magazine well with the firearm bolted together with the receiver..The adapter looks to be cut to allow one to just put it in and fasten it in place; not so.

Mine is for a small ring Mauser and I found one has to modify the bolt on a model 93 action. That won't be a problem for you, obviously. The adapter didn't fit the magazine well on my particular gun so I had to mill off a little material to get it into the magazine.

In the instructions they mention, almost in passing, that one needs to modify the extractor to aid in feeding. I definitely needed to make some adjustments to get the cartridge to feed correctly. I also had to ramp the feed ramp more to get the feeding to work consistently. I also radius-ed the chamber edge to aid in feeding.

I don't care much for their ejector, (look a bit chintzy to me) so I am using the full stroke to eject the spent cases.

All in all, I feel it is a decent kit, but as I said earlier, it isn't a drop-in installation. Take care and try to anticipate problems and it should go well.

Once I get sights installed I expect to have some fun with the little bugger.

Edd

Boolit Grand Master
    I know what I want for Christmas now. I have a 93 that I bought to convert to 7.62x39; then found my Charles Daly, so now it is going to be a .45 ACP.

Robert

I have one of these kits on order and expect it to be here this week. I am using a Greek large ring Mauser action. I ordered a Turk stock that is in bad shape from ebay. I already have a 1911 mag release.

One thing I am not sure of is what to do about sights. I want open sights but I am not finding alot of options. I was thinking about having someone cut dovetails in the barrel for both front and rear sights and order one of Skinners peep sights for the rear. What are you guys using for sights with these kits?

This is going to be fun, I cant wait to get this going. Ground hogs beware!

Gun show today in my area and I had to see this... Almost worse that the Group buys..thanks..ha ha ha

"No honey , I wont be going to the show, there isnt anything that I need" (Did I say that)

Pete

Boolit Master

Since this got lost over the time the different threads have discussed this I will post it now

http://www.troupsystems.com/
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master

My sporter has a 2.5X Weaver in Redfield base and rings. I don't plan on putting iron on it as my eyes don't do well with such on short barrels these days. However, If I were I would put a Lyman SME receiver rear and a base with an M14 sight up front.

The Chinese Officers Model has a TC Contender base D7T'd onto the barrel whare the rear sight would be. The handguard is then inletted to fit over it. A red dot (as pictured) or a scout scope can then be mounted.

Larry Gibson

PS; additionally to the things i mentioned above I also shortened the firing pin protrusion to minimum as I set the eadspace to minimum. Standard protrusion really thunks the primers. Accuracy improved with the shortened firing pin.

Boolit Master

I just got an Israeli 98 with a 308 conversion that went through Hurricane Katrina to do a conversion, it was a gift so it will be a cheap project!

Boolit Master

My kit is ordered and I hope it will be here next week.

I hope I don't have much trouble removing the old barrel.

Boolit Master
    larry, you have some nice one's there. i have wanted to build one of those for awhile, i'd like to find a cheap action, and build one. i have always thought about shortening the action so it would feed .45 acp better, kinda like a mini mauser.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast