Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners

Thread: Coatings

Coatings

I will be testing another way to use Hi-Tek Gold coating. Coated several custom-made broadheads designed and made by yours truly with Hi-Tek Old Gold Powder along with some Lee 124 gr lrn .356 boolits. Cooked them a little dark, and the main reason for this is to keep the broadheads from rusting. The broadheads run close to 208 grains (depending on how much they are sharpened, lose a few grains each time. They are 1 11/16ths wide, close to commercial Rage heads. I don't care much for mechanical heads, so this design came about to almost cut as wide of entry as a Rage BH. I shoot them out of a Hoyt Avenger set at 56 lbs. The arrows have the modern short vanes and fly like darts. More kinetic energy for much more penetration. Arrows weigh well over 500 grains. The bow is also much quieter. The broadheads are heat treated and annealed and annealed three more times in the oven when coating.. Another time Hi-Tek coated .177 pellets so that you don't have to handle lead dust and they look good. The .356 boolits gained .002 with three coatings. Can hardly wait to put an arrow in a big pig or something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180817_181151.jpg   20180817_180956.jpg  
    Last edited by OldBearHair; 08-18-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: sp

How about that Mr Hi-Tek !! Next I am thinking of coating some of the reloading tools with Hi-Tek Gold

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    I will be testing another way to use Hi-Tek Gold coating. Coated several custom-made broadheads designed and made by yours truly with Hi-Tek Old Gold Powder along with some Lee 124 gr lrn .356 boolits. Cooked them a little dark, and the main reason for this is to keep the broadheads from rusting. The broadheads run close to 208 grains (depending on how much they are sharpened, lose a few grains each time. They are 1 11/16ths wide, close to commercial Rage heads. I don't care much for mechanical heads, so this design came about to almost cut as wide of entry as a Rage BH. I shoot them out of a Hoyt Avenger set at 56 lbs. The arrows have the modern short vanes and fly like darts. More kinetic energy for much more penetration. Arrows weigh well over 500 grains. The bow is also much quieter. The broadheads are heat treated and annealed and annealed three more times in the oven when coating.. Another time Hi-Tek coated .177 pellets so that you don't have to handle lead dust and they look good. The .356 boolits gained .002 with three coatings. Can hardly wait to put an arrow in a big pig or something.
    That is a great idea.
    I have never seen such a use for the coatings. They should work Great.
    Thank you for sharing your idea.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    Beautiful broadheads. I love archery.

I shoot both trad. recurves and modern compounds.A Mathews No Cam HTR , I have a good old Browning Rage One for lighter practise.

Whitetail just became bow-legal last year over here,we have a shooting test for bowhunters,too. I failed my first try because the test distance was only 18 meters and the target area was huge,like 1'x1' or so. Just a big gray circle.

I had been practising 4"x4" air gun targets and clays at 30-50 meters all summer with the new Mathews. Heck, I shoot golf tees at 20 m.

Way to go Petander, Some say "practice makes perfect", My son is a Dr. of music and church worship and he says "perfect practice makes perfect". Back when I started shooting archery seriously in 1965 (53 years ago) I did a lot of that imperfect practice. We worked on making our equipment, mostly the arrow with sameness in mind on every process. I remember buying like four dozen wood cedar arrows of the same lot that were spine checked at five lbs of difference in the lot. Use my home made spine tester and matched them up + or - one lb. Then there were five bunches matching closely. An old buddy showed me how to make arrows, and we tried to DIY everything we could. Making specialized clothing, hats, backpacks,and broadheads and shocker blunts and birdpoints, etcetera. Even invented "Breathe Out" a device that destroys breath odor. It pins to your hat and with the snorkel in your mouth breathe in thru your nose and "Breathe OUT " through the device. It was designed to be very light weight and out of the way for shooting. It is also a good cough muffler and keeps your glasses from fogging. Price $24.95
    Now we can learn much faster with all the pro shops and the media where you can learn about nearly everything. Shooting archery is a very interesting way to keep in good shape and gets you outside in the fresh air. Seems as if you are on the right track with those golf tees and 30-50 meters and experiencing Perfect Practice.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breathe Out retail pkg..jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	225788

Boolit Master