Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Savage rascal with "ring" in bore

Boolit Master

Savage rascal with "ring" in bore

The rifle has about 200 rounds. Bought a cheap bore scope that fits 22s.
    Soaked the bore with kroil and then passed a patch and jag through. It hung up at the ring and broke through the lead build up @ :49 What would be a likely cause? Approx 2" in to the muzzle end.
    After cleaning I don't feel any tightness or snags with patch?

Boolit Grand Master

Most likely something was stuck in the barrel there, a bullet, patch or mud, maybe grease from shipping. If it wasn't there before then it probably one of those things. It could also be a flaw in manufacturering. I have read On button rifled barrels if the button stops when pressure is building a large spot can result due to metal compression being longer time wise.

Boolit Master
    A localised ring bulge is nearly certain to have been due to an obstruction, local and solid enough to produce momentary deceleration of the bullet. What happens is that the moving gases catch up, and build up in an extremely local zone of extremely high pressure. This picture, experimentally induced, is the rare double ring bulge from a single obstruction. What happens is that the pressure wave, being elastic, bounces back, and again from the breech face to the place where the projectile and obstruction have in the meantime advanced a much smaller distance. That shows the very great speed those² gases can acquire, pretty much liked an elastic tennis ball and racket can impart motion a lot faster than your arm. The powder gases and moving fouling, about equalling the weight of powder, are a lot less in weight than the bullet. But is proportional to MV².

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Double ring-bulge from obstruction.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	210594

A barrel blocked or nearly blocked with grease would certainly constitute such an obstruction, but I think a normal layer of bore grease scraped up until it blocks the bore wouldn't. General Hatcher experimented with underwater shooting with .22 shorts, and got reasonable performance at ranges slightly exceeding those usually held to make you safe from a .30-06 starting in air.

I've also told the story here of a friend of a very ancient friend who made a last-moment repentance from suicide in India. He had already filled his Lee-Enfield barrel with water, and in his state of nerves pulled the trigger, removing part of his ear. It seems he was indignant at being put under stoppages for £5 10 shillings to pay for the rifle, since the barrel wasn't visibly undamaged. It seems to be a sudden check that causes a bulge where several hundred extra grains of "bullet" from the start doesn't.

I would give that barrel a good trial before condemning it as some bulged rifle barrels do little if any harm to accuracy. The further from the breech, the better your chances.

Boolit Master

yup, if it won't shoot, you can chop or counterbore. good luck

Boolit Master
    If it were me, I'd shoot it and if it shoots OK, I wouldn't worry about it. My guess is that you won't notice anything performance wise with it. I've seen a lot of oddities inside barrels and most of the time they don't make enough difference to worry about. I once had a Savage barrel that looked like the rifling was cut with a hammer and a chisel. It still shot very, very well in spite of the looks of the rifling.

Boolit Master
    shoot it you mite be surprised. I have a number one brno that has two bulges in the barrel. one right in front of the chamber the other at the end of the forearm. it shoots great won a class hunter in .22 silhouette two years straight.

A bulge, like from a obstacle in the barrel? Or a tight spot from a carbon ring / lead deposit? I have a couple 22's that get a ring in them, one gets the carbon ring one gets a lead ring.....clean barrel, run standard velocity ammo.....

One one cheap 22 I had I bought a "shot out" anschutz barrel , turned in my lathe and fitted it......might be a solution

Aaron

Boolit Master
    There is no bulge I can see on the barrel. Its just a lead ring. Gun shot great up to about 130-50 rounds then started throwing shots.
    Its had a steady diet of aquila and some old rem kicking around.
    Cleaned it up. Can't "feel" anything with the patch. Unlike my 513t that has rough spots you feel passing a patch. I might slug this bore also to see if anything odd shows.

Pretty common with some Rim fire rifles.......Winchester m22 ammo does that in one of my rifles......get your self a "bore snake" works well for a quick clean, at the range or home.....try some CCI standard velocity ammo or something no high velocity....and be prepared to clean it every 100 rounds with ANY Remington ammo

This is a very common thing...... lots of discussion about this on rimfirecentral

I have even seen this happen in high end rifles like Anschutz and CZ ........in those rifles normally you see the carbon ring about 2 inches from the chamber

Aaron

Boolit Master

After cleaning, run a patch through with boolits lube on it. That will help prevent the fouling cycle from starting over again.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

CCI standard velocity, SK , Eley, RWS are all lubed bullets...........you might.....might be able to get some cast bullet lube and very very sparingly lube your rounds....

Aaron

Banned
    fire lap it.

Boolit Buddy

Dry bore

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    After cleaning, run a patch through with boolits lube on it. That will help prevent the fouling cycle from starting over again.
    A while ago I replaced a barrel on a 22 rifle that had a rusted out bore. The replacement barrel was not new but a big upgrade from what had been on it previously. Then I hot blued the rifle. It did not shoot well at first.
    With a 22lr the bore has to be seasoned like a cast iron fry pan before they settle down and group. This ordinarily involves just firing maybe 10 shots to thoroughly coat the bore with the bullet lube on the greased bullets that you will be shooting. At this point you usually enter a state of happiness.
    Not with this barrel! I decided to take some thinned out Lee Alox and coat the bore and warm it with a heat gun to get good penetration and coating. Then a good rub with a patched bore jag. The first few shots it spit out some excess Alox but then it settled own and started to shoot fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
    A while ago I replaced a barrel on a 22 rifle that had a rusted out bore. The replacement barrel was not new but a big upgrade from what had been on it previously. Then I hot blued the rifle. It did not shoot well at first.
    With a 22lr the bore has to be seasoned like a cast iron fry pan before they settle down and group. This ordinarily involves just firing maybe 10 shots to thoroughly coat the bore with the bullet lube on the greased bullets that you will be shooting. At this point you usually enter a state of happiness.
    Not with this barrel! I decided to take some thinned out Lee Alox and coat the bore and warm it with a heat gun to get good penetration and coating. Then a good rub with a patched bore jag. The first few shots it spit out some excess Alox but then it settled own and started to shoot fine.
    Some of the old timers at my club recommended a very thin coat of alox on the bullets. One old timer said just TL 20 or so cartridges it will be fine the LLA will not build up in the chamber and will coat the barrel well enough. As soon as the weather snaps and gets up into at least the 20s I will test run it. I have a box or 2 of some eley that has a heavy lube on them

Boolit Master

Really good article about polishing a chamber from Guns and Gunsmiths this week.
    http://www.gunsandgunsmiths.com/tips...hing-chambers/