MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Looking for recommendations for a new casting pot

Looking for recommendations for a new casting pot

I’m currently using a lee 4-20 and I’m thinking of getting a bigger pot so I’m seeking recommendations. The RCBS pro melt looks interesting but is currently not available in the 110 volt model. But of others I know very little, it doesn’t have to have a built in pid since I can easily add one myself. It does have to be a bottom pour pot though, so please give me your thoughts and if you just happen to have a pot that you don’t need please let me know.
    Thanks
    Barry

Boolit Master
    Magma is the only one significantly bigger and widely recommended.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

The Magma is the only one that I know of that is signifantly larger than 20 pounds. Its expensive compared to the others!

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    The Magma is the only one that I know of that is signifantly larger than 20 pounds. Its expensive compared to the others!
    Yeh, $600 is more than I want to pay, so maybe I’ll just stick to the auto drip Lee.

Boolit Master
    I hope you win the lottery or something so I can live vicariously through you casting with a magma pot .
    I understand when I finally decided to get a pro-melt I discovered that they stopped production driving prices even used prices up , so I decided to wait for the new ones . After hearing about others having problems I put off ordering one just to see them become unavailable .
    Woulda shoulda coulda / but I didn't so for the time being I picked up a extra 4/20 .
    Even though the boss ( wife ) approved the purchase I just couldn't justify the purchase for my needs .
    But a custom pot could be interesting .

I would love to build my own pot, but since I only want a bottom pour it would be a complicated task. My Lee works fine apart from the dripping, that I can put up with, but having to add ingots fairly frequently is a pain then having to wait until the lead gets hot enough to continue pouring.
    Barry

I wonder why RCBS don’t have any Pro Melts?

Boolit Bub
    I've had Lee drip o matics, RCBS and others. Finally broke down and bought a Magma. Best 600 I have spent. Love the fact I can mix a large batch of lead, put it into ingots and then turn around and pour bullets. I absolutely love mine. If I had known then what I know now, I never would have messed around with anything else.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bazzer485 View Post
    I wonder why RCBS don’t have any Pro Melts?
    I think they had so much trouble with the new ones that they backed off in order to redesign or improve it.

Boolit Master
    The stacking two Lee 20lb pots like some here do looks pretty good , I saw some pretty slick setups in those threads.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by heebs View Post
    I've had Lee drip o matics, RCBS and others. Finally broke down and bought a Magma. Best 600 I have spent. Love the fact I can mix a large batch of lead, put it into ingots and then turn around and pour bullets. I absolutely love mine. If I had known then what I know now, I never would have messed around with anything else.

Ditto... it’s a beast

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzer485 View Post
    I would love to build my own pot, but since I only want a bottom pour it would be a complicated task. My Lee works fine apart from the dripping, that I can put up with, but having to add ingots fairly frequently is a pain then having to wait until the lead gets hot enough to continue pouring.
    Barry
    There is a member hear that explained in a post how to preheat your ingot while casting to maintain a full pot while casting this works well for me most of the time . I use a lee 4/20 and on a good day when I do my part I can keep my pot full and have very little temperature swings while casting . It's not perfect but I'm the weakest link , then again I sometimes just can't seem to do anything right while casting . I use this method when casting for handguns in bulk , not for a few hundred rifle boolits .

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The stacking two Lee 20lb pots like some here do looks pretty good , I saw some pretty slick setups in those threads.
    With the upper pot used to feed pre-melted lead into the lower pot one is casting from it should be high speed without a doubt. Any drips from the upper pot are just going to the lower (casting) pot.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Search ‘ stacked lee’ or ‘double lee’. It’s here somewhere. I just ordered another lee 4-20 and plan to built a simply stand so the Upper lee’s bottom pour spout will pour into the bottom pot. Shouldn’t be hard. Either wood or metal sheet from Hd and pop rivets. That way I can have 35-40lbs going at once and not have to wait for lead to re-melt.

Boolit Master
    Most of the time a full 4-20 pot is all I want to cast in a sitting. I suppose shotgun slugs or 45-70 boolits would make a larger pot nice to have though.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Is anything wrong with the Waage K-4757 Casting Furnace? Wondering why no one is mentioning it here...

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Is anything wrong with the Waage K-4757 Casting Furnace? Wondering why no one is mentioning it here...
    I believe because it is not well known and the fact that the OP stated a bottom pour which the K-4757 is not.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!