Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: New Western rig.

Boolit Master

New Western rig.

Been wanting one of these for a while for my Cimarron Arms 1873 Peacemaker.

I was in Los Algodones, Mexico today and found a leather shop that had a nice one in my size. Guy wanted $150. Got it for $100. Can't wait to get home and try it out...

Pics shortly...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

"Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Wow! You got that for $100. That guy needs a website. He could really sell something like that. Did you try your gun in it? How does it fit? It is really nice looking by the way!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

Great looking rig. Mexican leather can be very good to very iffy. Some of the tanning process used create a much weaker leather. For a holster it should not be an issue. For saddles and harnesses it is something to be aware of.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I recently bought this one, and am very pleased with it. $75 to my door.

Don
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My rig.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	254882
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Been wanting one of these for a while for my Cimarron Arms 1873 Peacemaker.

I was in Los Algodones, Mexico today and found a leather shop that had a nice one in my size. Guy wanted $150. Got it for $100. Can't wait to get home and try it out...

Pics shortly...
    I've been in Los Algodones many times - used to live in Yuma. I was always leery about the leather goods for sale there, though, so I never bought any. Heard too many horror stories, I guess.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Banner Sponsor

That is a great looking rig for sure. I like it.

Moderator Emeritus

The NRA sells a decent rig for $180 which I recently bought through their store. Yeah a bit high but supporting the organization. Made me decide to try my hand at leather work while waiting for back to heal. I need a bunch of holsters

Boolit Grand Master
    I recently joined the Cowboy Fast Draw Association that requires a separate holster and belt (no Latigo-style rigs.) I’m in Central Va, so a trip to one of these near-mythical leather shops in the Southwest is not practical. As a result, I have to depend on flea-Bay. I have a reasonably nice holster in hand and am waiting for the 2 1/2” wide double thickness “Ranger style” belt to come in. I’ve had a Uberti-made “Smoke Wagon” from Taylor’s with 4 1/2” barrel and Taylor Tuning for several years. I’ve got wax bullets loaded and my cowboy hat and boots ready to go, so I’ll be all set to go when the belt arrives!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    The NRA sells a decent rig for $180 which I recently bought through their store. Yeah a bit high but supporting the organization. Made me decide to try my hand at leather work while waiting for back to heal. I need a bunch of holsters
    I just broke my ankle on weds. May have to have surgery. Will find out on monday. I am already bored stiff, and I do need several holsters. You gave me an idea. Is there a book you can reccomend to help get started. Thanks!

Boolit Master

Got home and tried out my two .45 Colt pistols in it. The Colt clone fit perfectly, but the barrel is too long. The front sight catches on the draw. The Ruger is perfect length, but it's a bit too fat, so it doesn't sit right in it.

Looks like a $100 holster is going to cost me another few hundred in buying a new gun to fit it... But that's not necessarily a bad thing I guess.

Attachment 254971

Attachment 254972

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I just broke my ankle on weds. May have to have surgery. Will find out on monday. I am already bored stiff, and I do need several holsters. You gave me an idea. Is there a book you can reccomend to help get started. Thanks!
    Check with Tandy Leather. They have (or had) a pattern book for modern and western style holsters. Of course they also sell materials to make them. I sure miss the days when I lived within walking distance of the old Tandy store in Richmond, VA. I didn’t appreciate how well off I was!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Check with Tandy Leather. They have (or had) a pattern book for modern and western style holsters. Of course they also sell materials to make them. I sure miss the days when I lived within walking distance of the old Tandy store in Richmond, VA. I didn’t appreciate how well off I was!

Froggie
    Thank you sir!

Boolit Grand Master
    Al Stohlman wrote a neat manual on western holster making. The techniques illustrated there in are useful for making all sorts of holsters.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I've been watching a lot of YouTube when doing the treadmill on making holsters. Lot of really good info. A lot of the tools I already had from just through the years stuff. You don't need to spend a lot. I got a quartz base (granite, etc are all fine) for free from a counter place. Got the sink cutout. I have to cut it some to square it up when weather gets warmer. My biggest problem is a lot of my stuff is still in boxes from moving three years ago and I can't lift much yet which is getting old really fast. I would just keep watching various techniques and pick and choose what you are comfortable with. Easy for me to say since I haven't actually made anything yet

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Al Stohlman wrote a neat manual on western holster making. The techniques illustrated there in are useful for making all sorts of holsters.
    Also can find a lot of free pdfs and stuff written by Al Stohlman. Think I got a bunch from the Tandy leather website library. Lot of free patterns that you just need to tailor to your pistol.