WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw an amazing gun/shooter today

Boolit Master

Saw an amazing gun/shooter today

I went out to my local range today, the 500 yard line. I am a cast boolit kind of guy, and the 500 yard line is mostly taken over by the Ruger RPR/6.5creedmoor guys.
    Today everybody there has any one of the modern AR/15,,,AR10 ,,,AR/bolt action upper style rifles.
    One guy had a modern bolt action with a IORValdota or Nightforce scope, and some handload boolits. .308win.
    He went to shoot and he say leave your ears out (earplugs). He was supressed and subsonic. He had boolits not bullets.
    I started talking to him about twist rate, and he say 1:10".
    I was very much surprised as he clanged the dinger at 300yards, with cast boolit in a modern .308 with a fast twist.
    He did say his speed was 1050fps subsonic. I accepted his accuracy from 10 twist at that low velocity.
    However, he cranked up his scope xxmils elevation and took 1 round at the next gong at 400yards. clang!!
    Then he cranked up his scope xxmils elevation and took 1 round at the 500yard gong. clang!!!
    Then he cranked his scope back to some form of Zero to put the gun away.
    Another guy showed up, started BS'ing talking, the guy takes the gun back, cranks in some more elevation and gives the gun to the new guy shown up.
    Gives him 1 round and ...clang!! the 500 yard gong.
    I was most impressed.

That is impressive. Especially the repeatable part with a different shooter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    That is impressive. Especially the repeatable part with a different shooter.
    yes, and the guy took attention to me when I asked if that was a 'Lee' mold.
    it had that Lee slanted/round nose profile. I think it was the c309-160 mold it had a short looking nose.
    I inquired about gas checks and he say no. He was afraid of losing gas check in the supressor.
    So, he had a Lee c309-160RN launching it without gas check.
    Imagine what he could do with a proper plain based boolit.??

Banned
    It would be interesting to know what was "under the hood"

Boolit Master
    he say 7gr trail boss

This is interesting for how he have it all work .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

7gr Trail Boss is an interesting thing for what he was doing
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    How big was the gong?

I shoot cast in my .308 quite a bit, also a 10 twist. Right now my favorite bullet is the Lee 180. Fast loads are around 2000fps. Plinker stuff is 1100 or a bit slower (Blue Dot).

I reserve the 'slow' stuff for 100 and 200yd since the wind is usually blowing a bit. The load is good for 1 to 2 MOA depending on the bullets. I usually load up a bunch of reject bullets as plinkers so close to MOA with them is kinda cool. With selected, matched bullets and no wind I have shot some 0.5 groups at 100yd.

The 'fast' stuff is more accurate on a regular basis. These will do close to MOA at 300yd. I usually do not 'use up' a space on the 1000yd range but one of these days will do that and see if I can dope the wind well enough to get a decent group at 600yd.

Even the 'fast' bullets are affected by the wind a lot more than jacketed. That is probably the biggest problem when shooting cast bullets at the mid ranges.

If you have not tried it I encourage you to do so. It is not rocket science and, yes, even the cheap Lee molds turn out good bullets if you cast them well and cull out the bad ones. The key is to size to your groove dia and if a nose ride the forward portion has to fit the bore.

I have a Lee 309-190 gc bullet mould I bought in 1978 right after I started casting. It makes very accurate boolits on par with 311299 and 314299 Lyman moulds I also have. I also have a 309-150 plain base mould that makes decent boolits for the .30-30.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    How big was the gong?.
    That's what I was wondering. Anything going 1050 at the muzzle starts to drop like a rock around 500 yards. Even a 20 FPS change in velocity from shot to shot will move the POI 2 feet. A slight change in wind can move the bullet over half a foot. To hit a torso sized target takes a lot of skill and a fair amount of luck with those parameters.

Here is a video of me shooting the NOE 30xcb in my 10 twist .308 at over 2600fps
    the steel plate is 10 1/2" in diameter and distance is 500 yards.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9VDouNYi7A&t=1s
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Here is a video of me shooting the NOE 30xcb in my 10 twist .308 at over 2600fps
    Great video, and a new subscriber. Good stuff.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    Great video, and a new subscriber. Good stuff.
    Well thank you!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I have shot enough cast that I have doubts about a good group @ 2600 in a 10 twist. I say because every rifle I tried with a twist like that group fell apart in the mid-2000's.
    Please do not try to convince me otherwise.
    Also, the OP posted that the guy fired 1 round each at 300, 400, 500 yards and adjusted the scope at each range. 3 shots=3hits.
    No sighters, no warm ups, no spotter.
    Then he adjusted the scope back to a zero, then re-adjusted the scope to 500yd and handed the rifle to someone else, and again, 1 shot=1hit.
    Waco, sorry, you didnt do that.
    Sorry

Boolit Master
    Well, I have a 2.3" group at 200yd with the Lee bullets, powder coated that were going 2400fps at the muzzle. I did not try faster just cause that is not what I am looking for.

Lubed bullets I also have trouble going over 2100fps.

The shooting by that gent is good given the low velocity. He must know that load well and be able to read wind accurately.
    Even a 10" gong at 500 is hard with those slow loads.

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    I have shot enough cast that I have doubts about a good group @ 2600 in a 10 twist. I say because every rifle I tried with a twist like that group fell apart in the mid-2000's.
    Please do not try to convince me otherwise.
    Also, the OP posted that the guy fired 1 round each at 300, 400, 500 yards and adjusted the scope at each range. 3 shots=3hits.
    No sighters, no warm ups, no spotter.
    Then he adjusted the scope back to a zero, then re-adjusted the scope to 500yd and handed the rifle to someone else, and again, 1 shot=1hit.
    Waco, sorry, you didnt do that.
    Sorry
    So maybe you are not doing something right? Ever consider that? You take a guys word on what he did and then I show you proof of what I did on video. One round huh?. Okay. Let's see five shot groups...like I did.

Boolit Master
    Waco,
    Please refrain from posting anymore on this thread, this post I started for others to share in, please dont attempt to take it over.
    Do not insinuate I didnt do something right, I was a witness.
    Do not insinuate I took the guys word, I was a witness.
    You are the one that missed the point, the point is the repeatability of the man's setup.
    especially at such a low velocity. the elevation hold over was very very extreme. And he repeated that with scope adjustments, no spotter, no sighters.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Kens,

Was first going to joke about letting the cat out of the bag about long range accuracy very easily attainable with cast at subsonic velocities.

I'm rather disappointed of your refusal to believe that good accuracy can be had above 2600fps. in a 1/10" twist .30. Many have done it here.

And many have quit posting of their results because of being met with the type of reaction you gave Waco. Many have left the forum. I've personally witnessed supra 2600fps (close to 3K) accuracy out to just over 250Y in .22, .30, and .35 calibers, by more than one rifle, by more than one person. Those people tired of all the muck thrown and gave up on trying to spread the word.

More is possible than many think.

I will NOT be posting further on this, but for anyone reading this who may become interested, investigate copper enriched alloys and MML+.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    That is the same Lee boolit my Rem 308 bolt gun likes but not my Mossberg 308 bolt gun which prefers heavier, slower boolits. Both have the same twist. Every barrel has a personality it would seem.

Boolit Buddy
    Self-moderating are we? Where's that ignore button, there it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast