RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Present for a Want-To-Be reloader?

Don't forget a coat or three of satin Lacquer to top them off! Wanna keep those special blocks pretty...right?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

It sounds like you made some good choices. Hopefully the boy will "come around".

Boolit Master
    Best wishes! that things work out for the best.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Well, I just discovered another problem. The grandchild went home to his parents for the Christmas holidays, and my wife went into "his" room to clean it up so the daughter could use the room when she visits home. On his "study" table that we provide, was a bunch of partially dismantled 12 gauge shotgun shells and 22 long rifle cartridges. Smokeless powder was everywhere. And it appears like he had opened a bunch of live shotgun shells and replaced the lead shot, and maybe the wad, with steel shot of some sort that look like ball bearings. And glued the hand crimped ends back together. Another one had lead 22 rifle bullets crammed in the shell casing and a plastic disk glued on the end to hold it all in place. Another one was filled with BB-Rifle shot from a container sitting there. And he recently bought with his school borrowed money a really cheap looking 12 gauge pump gun from a company I have never heard of. So, now what do I do with this?

Boolit Buddy
    Some people got to learn the hard way unfortunately. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Boolit Master
    Though sledding ahead I would say.

The grandson does not respect his grandfather’s tools, does not want to listen to his grand father in spite of his considerable experience in the matter at hand and does rough work on his possessions.

Hope the OP can work it out satisfactorily.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Well, I just discovered another problem. The grandchild went home to his parents for the Christmas holidays, and my wife went into "his" room to clean it up so the daughter could use the room when she visits home. On his "study" table that we provide, was a bunch of partially dismantled 12 gauge shotgun shells and 22 long rifle cartridges. Smokeless powder was everywhere. And it appears like he had opened a bunch of live shotgun shells and replaced the lead shot, and maybe the wad, with steel shot of some sort that look like ball bearings. And glued the hand crimped ends back together. Another one had lead 22 rifle bullets crammed in the shell casing and a plastic disk glued on the end to hold it all in place. Another one was filled with BB-Rifle shot from a container sitting there. And he recently bought with his school borrowed money a really cheap looking 12 gauge pump gun from a company I have never heard of. So, now what do I do with this?
    I would be very concerned about this "discovery".

Is someone changing the 12ga loads from game loads to possible "people" loads for some reason?

I would be concerned about the whereabouts of the 12ga shotgun & any components(re-assembled shells) that may now be already in it that you don't know about right now, as well... You may have discovered what was left of the ones that were not considered worth saving, or were "experimental" ones & there are others that are already put together & in the magazine of that 12ga shotgun.

What reason would your grandchild have, to be doing such things? What is/was the intended use of such modified shells? Modifying shotshells to carry a larger shot size than what is in them originally, is not usually done, even if done in an amateurish way, unless there is a reason & a particular target in mind.

From what you are describing, I am now thinking you have more of an issue/issues with your grandchild than just not wanting to learn reloading from grandpa for some reason.

At minimum, "I" would be talking to his parents about your "discovery". And perhaps higher authorities like LEO. Something just isn't right from what you are describing, and it would be a pity to read about something that happened when it could have been stopped ahead of time.

G'Luck! with whatever ya decide to do...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Monkey see...another monkey do !

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    What reason would your grandchild have, to be doing such things?
    JB...he's prolly getting it here or another site like this Morons U-Tube collection...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzfzHg7Ilx0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnzKSYWK29o

This kid thinks he's smarter and 'sneakier' than the old folks in this home....Don says,"So, now what do I do with this?"

The answer is right there in your face, unless of course you want to molly coddle him as many here are suggesting...
    What do you do?
    You grab him by the stack and swivel and pin his ears back...When you think you've got his undivided attention,
    THAT'S WHEN YOU LET HIM KNOW EXACTLY HOW THE COW EATS THE CABBAGE!

Translate that any way you see fit but keep your video camera handy so you can film the night when that half baked kid burns the house down.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Possibly a gift card to cabelas? (Or whatever sporting store is close) If he is interested in reloading, the manual will help a lot, and a gift card may be easier for both so the kid can decide what extras he may need, and if he isn't really into reloading then he can use it for something else.
    Best you can do with some kids nowadays, is offer your assistance by letting them know you can be there to help or answer any questions then let them go about their business.

Boolit Master
    Box up all his stuff, tell his parent(s) to come get it, that you’re sorry but it isn’t your place to deal with whatever demons he has.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    JB...he's prolly getting it here or another site like this Morons U-Tube collection...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzfzHg7Ilx0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnzKSYWK29o

This kid thinks he's smarter and 'sneakier' than the old folks in this home....Don says,"So, now what do I do with this?"
    I looked at the videos presented above and think this is exactly what he is doing. He is generally pretty respectful of his grandmother and I. And will do anything he is asked to do around the farm. But it seems like he won't help unless asked. But he will do something if asked. Its just that anything he does comes from information on the NET and has to be done "his way". But, I guess information coming from the "elderly and less educated" is too old fashion when everything he wants to know is available on his LapTop computer or I-phone. He doesn't want to cross the hallway and look through my huge collection of reloading manuals right inside the "Library" door. Maybe its because a lot of those manuals are dated from the 1960's and 1970's. And anything from 25 years before he was born is ancient history. It has to be on the Internet or it isn't true anymore.

Boolit Master
    I hope you are right, DonMountain.

Like I said, G'Luck!"

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master

I know when I was a kid, and Harding was president, I was known to do 'stuff' like that. One of our more successful creations was a marble 'cannon,' section of pipe with a hole drilled in a cap. Put a firecracker fuse through the hole screw it on and drop a marble down the front

was very satisfying to see it make it about 75 yards and plop into the creek. These days I would 'have some 'plaining to do"

Kids are curious and plan to live forever so they really don't appreciate the dangers.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Whoah Walter! You must be pushing 100! Congrats!

My mother is 94 this year & she was born the year after Harding died while he was the President in the 1923.

I like to hear the stories of older times. Grew up with them.

Thanks!

Sorry for the sidetrack... I was just amazed to find out how old Walter was...

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Dirt, he's older than dirt.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Whoah Walter! You must be pushing 100! Congrats!

My mother is 94 this year & she was born the year after Harding died while he was the President in the 1923.

I like to hear the stories of older times. Grew up with them.

Thanks!

Sorry for the sidetrack... I was just amazed to find out how old Walter was...
    Sorry for the misinformation--I tend to exaggerate at times' 'only' 71, in the prime of my old age.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

So you still have a few years to catch up to dirt.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I know when I was a kid, and Harding was president, I was known to do 'stuff' like that. One of our more successful creations was a marble 'cannon,' section of pipe with a hole drilled in a cap. Put a firecracker fuse through the hole screw it on and drop a marble down the front

was very satisfying to see it make it about 75 yards and plop into the creek. These days I would 'have some 'plaining to do"

Kids are curious and plan to live forever so they really don't appreciate the dangers.
    I was just out in the barn where my shooting bench is for the 130 yard target, and discovered some of his 12 gauge shells with the ends cut off just like the ones loaded in the house. So he has been shooting some of his creations. And hasn't blown up his shotgun yet. The shell was from a 1-1/4 ounce high brass shell with the crimped end cut off. And as I remember back to my childhood, I never did anything dangerous like this. But I do remember my father telling me I would never live past 30 the way I was going. Maybe it was that ticket I got for doing 125 miles an hour on my motorcycle? And I am not nearly as old as Walter either. My mother is only 92 and gave us her old SUV a few months ago and bought a brand new one. To better pull her Bass Boat with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Box up all his stuff, tell his parent(s) to come get it, that you’re sorry but it isn’t your place to deal with whatever demons he has.
    I have to give a big "Me too!" to what JimB offered.

Having had to deal with a numb as a post step-grandson who chose to counter anything I tried to get close to him with with silence I can appreciate the situation. His stock reply to anything I asked him about was "Whatever". No interest in anything but his electronic toys. Hung around with other brain-dead individuals like himself. I finally wrote him off as a lost cause when he walked by me, when I was visiting, and never acknowledged my presence.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Grand Master

You are facing a difficult situation here. I wish you luck in whatever way you choose.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast