Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 35 Remington loads?

35 Remington loads?

I am looking at a Remington 760 pump rifle in 35 Remington. I was reading the load data and seeing the extremely low pressures for the cartridge.
    I know the listed loadings are designed for lever action rifles. It would make a great cast rifle.
    Is there any reason the cartridge can't be loaded hotter in an action designed to hold up under 308 Winchester pressures?
    Would I be ahead to re-chamber it to 358 Winchester?

Boolit Master
    I have a Remington 760 in 35 Remington. I think it is more than adequate for white tails with cast loads. I don't load or shoot it very much but I have gotten good accuracy with it. This is a 1950s vintage and appears to have fine rifling like the Marlin microgroove. What are you planning to hunt with it?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Banned

I've killed exactly two deer with the .35 Remington, so take this for what it's worth. My load at the time (I cast then, but was still using jacketed for hunting) was 35 grains of IMR 3031 and the bulk Remington 200 grain flat points Midway sold. It worked quite well at woods ranges on both. I wouldn't try to hotrod it, it's a superb cartridge for what it's designed for.

I'll eventually get around to using cast on deer in the .35 Remington, I have two rifles in it now. I have used the NOE clone of the RCBS 200 grain FP in a .358 Winchester and it works great too.

Poygan------Whitetails in it's original low powered loadings and cast. If I can safely load it up to 358 Winchester power with jacketed in this rifle, I can hunt anything I want to with it.
    Last edited by tazman; 01-27-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    If the price is right get it and if the cartridge doesn't work for you ream it to a 358.
    Look twice, shoot once.

I am giving that some thought. The problem is I would need to buy my gunsmith a reamer for that cartridge. Makes the conversion a little expensive.
    Also the gunshop seems to think it is a collector's item. I am working on that but not certain how it will turn out.

I have a rem 600 in 35 and I have loaded over book loads with it on occasion with cast and jacket, I've always done it with medium speed powders fastest was AA2230 . Issue I had was powder capacity as the limiting factor never got to the point of flat primers . That said accuracy wasn't any better and it didn't increase my range much if any at all I only usually only shoot 50-75 yds anyhow at deer about the only thing that happened was increase in recoil in that little carbine . So really all depends on your needs if you shoot at game at longer distance or are going after stuff larger than deer or black bear go have it reamed out to 358 if not look for data for the contender as it's generally a little warmer than what's listed in the rifle section then there is ranchdogs data he has for the 190 gr that's up to 40k pressures

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/...oadnotes01.pdf
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Thanks for posting. I never thought to check the load data for the contender. Good idea.

Boolit Buddy
    I love the 35 Rem in a 760 for several reasons. It was my first deer gun more than 40 years ago and it has never failed to do the job on whitetails or black bear. My son killed his first deer with the same gun and my nephew killed his first one with a 760 in 35 Rem that I convinced his father he needed to buy. I do all the reloading for the family and the 35 has been easy to load for, in my experience. The kids all started out with cast pistol boolits over a few grains of one shotgun/pistol powder or another. Recoil was similar to a 22 magnum. They learned to work the pump and smoothly press the trigger. Gallon jugs were not safe at 50 yards with the boys shooting offhand. They never felt the recoil from a full power hunting load until they squeezed the trigger on their first deer. Both were one shot kills. I never felt the need to hotrod the 35.

Boolit Master
    There was an article on super .35 Rem loads for the 760 in a Handloader Magazine about 1971 or so. The factory .35 Rem brass is not very thick so it does not take high pressures well. You might buy some of Grumpa's .35 Rem brass made from 7.62 Nato brass.
    Yes the 760 action can take much hotter loads. Just check out .270 and 6mm Rem pressures. They are the hottest loads with a .30-06 case head and both are/were chambered in the 760.

There is at least one person on Cast Boolits that has rechambered his .35 Rem to .358. If you need the extra power you get the advantage of being able to use easy to find .308 and Nato brass.

If you switch to .358 you have to swap magazines and the old .35 Rem mag might bring you a premium if you sell it.

You can also rechamber to .35 Whelen. The Whelen needs a new magazine and the rearward travel of the bolt needs to be changed.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    There was an article on super .35 Rem loads for the 760 in a Handloader Magazine about 1971 or so. The factory .35 Rem brass is not very thick so it does not take high pressures well. You might buy some of Grumpa's .35 Rem brass made from 7.62 Nato brass.
    Yes the 760 action can take much hotter loads. Just check out .270 and 6mm Rem pressures. They are the hottest loads with a .30-06 case head and both are/were chambered in the 760.

There is at least one person on Cast Boolits that has rechambered his .35 Rem to .358. If you need the extra power you get the advantage of being able to use easy to find .308 and Nato brass.

If you switch to .358 you have to swap magazines and the old .35 Rem mag might bring you a premium if you sell it.

You can also rechamber to .35 Whelen. The Whelen needs a new magazine and the rearward travel of the bolt needs to be changed.
    Thank you. That is good information. I was considering the rechambering to 358 Winchester.
    At the moment it doesn't look like I will be able to buy the rifle. The shop owner won't budge on price and I won't spend that much on a project gun with so few options. For a project rifle, I would buy a bolt action.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    That is a wealth of info on fast 35 boolits !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    They made at least 4 different classes of 760. they started in 1960's (date ?? not going to look it up) and has they improved them into the 1970's . My Dad's is about a 1972 . We overloaded it one time so I call Remington Up , after waiting for 10 minute an original engineer older Gent get on phone and after asking a few questions, and looking at paper's note said boy that was a hot load, I'm like yea I know. Man if I was you I would shoot to many of those. I'm like I have no plans to shoot any more. I'm like did I hurt the GUN ?? he is like no way not with one maybe if you shot a 100 it would start to act up. They the second and third run are just about dummy proof . They will blow at around 20-25% overload somewhere around 72-74 thousand . We had a mix up my buddy and me we overloaded by 7 to 8 grains of 4895, that was over what Ackley's heaviest loads were, Somewhere in the 59-62 thousand range is the max we where at 67-68 thousand.

That load opened the action and the gun just about completely jump out of my hands.

be safe !!

A friend killed two elk with one neck shot with one 200 gr sp corelokt at 80 yds. Luckily his buddy had a cow tag for the collateral one. The .35 Rem as is is enough IMO. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't get the impression tazman was considering "overloads". Appeared to me he was just looking for a step up from the SAAMI MAP level of 33,500 psi Remington loads made for "weaker" actions. His M760 is a strong action given the other cartridges it is chambered for; '06, 270W, etc. Their pressure levels are above the standard 35 Rem's. Seems to me he was just want a similar step up as in the 45 Colt with "Ruger loads" vs "Colt SAA loads" considering his M760 is a much strong action. The post in the thread I listed gives loads with the 231 gr 35 XCB cast bullet at 2314 fps that have a measured 41,800 psi MAP. That is hardly excessive for the Remington M760 action or for the 35 Remington cases..

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I didn't get the impression tazman was considering "overloads". Appeared to me he was just looking for a step up from the SAAMI MAP level of 33,500 psi Remington loads made for "weaker" actions. His M760 is a strong action given the other cartridges it is chambered for; '06, 270W, etc. Their pressure levels are above the standard 35 Rem's. Seems to me he was just want a similar step up as in the 45 Colt with "Ruger loads" vs "Colt SAA loads" considering his M760 is a much strong action. The post in the thread I listed gives loads with the 231 gr 35 XCB cast bullet at 2314 fps that have a measured 41,800 psi MAP. That is hardly excessive for the Remington M760 action or for the 35 Remington cases..

Larry Gibson
    Larry, you are exactly correct.
    I was hoping for performance in the neighborhood of the 358 Winchester from the 35 Remington cartridge. I question whether the brass could support such loads though.
    For most of my uses, the performance level of the 35 Remington would be enough. I may get a chance to hunt elk or moose in the next few years and that big boolit would be good for that if I can push it hard enough.

Boolit Grand Master

tazman

I'm using W-W 35 Remington brass I bought new back about 20 years ago when I rebarreled the M91 to 35 Remington. It wasn't too long after I "discovered" the RCBS 35-200-FN cast bullet and developed my hunting and practice load with it. The only difference between those two loads is the alloy used and the hunting bullet is slightly HP'd. The load is 37 gr of IMR4895. It ran 2162 fps at 41,100 psi the other day. I NS the cases and have quit tracking how many times fired because they just keep going on and on. The 42 gr load of LvR under the 231 gr 35 XCB bullet ran 2314 fps at 41,800 psi the other day. The additional 700 psi isn't having any additional affect on the cases. The brass Winchester used to make the 35 Remingtons is the same brass it uses for much higher pressure cartridges. There is nothing to be concerned about because the psi MAP of the loads I'm using, while having a higher MAP than SAAMI spec, are not really that high. Certainly not high enough to worry about.

Larry Gibson

Thanks for that information. It was exactly what I needed to know.
    The load velocities you named would be sufficient for my purposes and the pressures are safe enough that I wouldn't need to worry.

Boolit Master

I've never considered 35 REM weak. Its a great Florida hog gun for hunting in scrub. Imho superior to thuty-thuty.

I load mine with gas checked 200gr lrnfp with Lyman #2 alloy. They shoot great in my and my buddies 336 marlins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast