Repackbox Load Data
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 22 LR ammo

Boolit Master

Thank God for the Ignore feature.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    If we all just ignore it, it will eventually subside, although it might be like everything else, a bit higher.
    Keeping ones head buried in the sand is the way to go. It the solution to most problems, or one could try drinking the problems away.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Love Life
    That 10 year old better be out there cutting grass, raking leaves, asking for chores to get paid so he can buy ammo. I did when I was a kid and it's not hard.

If he/she still can't afford to shoot or find ammo then they need to put the shooting hobby aside and find something else productive to do.

If the 10 year old is counting on the camp to GIVE him the ammo then the 10 year old, and the hopefully involved parents, needs to ask the camp why they did not have good supply on stock when it was known that shooting was part of the camp curriculum/experience.

I have no time for excuses for other people's actions and inactions. Save the "oh the children!!" line for MAIG.

Summer camps and 4-H groups seldom plan ahead because of political trends in the country. Plus monies aren't available in advance for the purchases.

Again you also missed the whole picture.

A little compassion goes a long way, but then I do take note of the "No Excuse" comment.

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Yes it is a blessing.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Summer camps and 4-H groups seldom plan ahead because of political trends in the country. Plus monies aren't available in advance for the purchases.

That needs to change.

Again you also missed the whole picture.

Don’t care

A little compassion goes a long way, but then I do take note of the "No Excuse" comment.

Too much compassion breeds dependence…kind of like welfare…which leads people to wanting everybody to have their fair share…which leads to mundane arguments about what is and is not gouging of a WANT and not a need…
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Yes it is a blessing.
    Especially if running away from confrontation and different beliefs is your forte…

Boolit Master

My main problem with the expensive .22 ammo is there are programs that need this ammo to run their programs to teach kids to shoot. If these program go away this year they may not ever come back. We need more than ever to get and keep younger shooters if we expect them to keep our american shooting traditions alive. If they go to soccer camp or robotics camp or LEGO camp this summer instead of shooting then we may lose them, all because SOME people feel it is their right to charge whatever they can because they got to Wal-Mart first and bought up all the ammo. I have 2 boxes of 500 .22 left, and when it is gone I will just have to switch my kids over to light 38 special loads. I was planning on them starting to compete in our cowboy matches soon but if I can't get ammo I may not be able to do this as I don't have a .38 lever action, and frankly I can't afford to buy them one right now. I do have friends who would be willing to lend me theirs but I don't like to borrow weapons. I thought I had bought enough ammo in January when I bought 4- 550 round boxes, but since I don't have a crystal ball(none of us do) I didn't anticipate the extent of the hoarding/shortage. Hopefully .22 will become available before my last 2 boxes run out. Just because it is legal to buy low and sell high at the expense of others doesn't make it right. I know this is a subjective judgement call but I believe what I believe, and will remember those who tried to take advantage of me in these difficult times, and avoid buying from them in the future, as that is MY right. May not make any difference in the long run but doing the right thing when no one notices is the true test of a persons moral beliefs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    And that explains why the price of phone service plummeted and service quality skyrocketed after Ma Bell got broken up, right?
    That was not my experience.
    My basic service quickly doubled in price, I no longer had free repair service to the phone. Long distance rates did tumble as other "competitors" entered the market when ole Jimmy nationalized the phone company's assets and forced them to open their wires to the competitors. Service Quality Sky rocketed? Not in my recollection, but as they say, YMMV. I will say that the analog dial phone that my brother still uses was installed nearly 40 years ago--by Ma Bell.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not defending these gun shops that are overcharging for ammo now. But they're gonna have full shelves soon, when supplies get back to normal, and nobody buying...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    My main problem with the expensive .22 ammo is there are programs that need this ammo to run their programs to teach kids to shoot. If these program go away this year they may not ever come back. We need more than ever to get and keep younger shooters if we expect them to keep our american shooting traditions alive. If they go to soccer camp or robotics camp or LEGO camp this summer instead of shooting then we may lose them, all because SOME people feel it is their right to charge whatever they can because they got to Wal-Mart first and bought up all the ammo. I have 2 boxes of 500 .22 left, and when it is gone I will just have to switch my kids over to light 38 special loads. I was planning on them starting to compete in our cowboy matches soon but if I can't get ammo I may not be able to do this as I don't have a .38 lever action, and frankly I can't afford to buy them one right now. I do have friends who would be willing to lend me theirs but I don't like to borrow weapons. I thought I had bought enough ammo in January when I bought 4- 550 round boxes, but since I don't have a crystal ball(none of us do) I didn't anticipate the extent of the hoarding/shortage. Hopefully .22 will become available before my last 2 boxes run out. Just because it is legal to buy low and sell high at the expense of others doesn't make it right. I know this is a subjective judgement call but I believe what I believe, and will remember those who tried to take advantage of me in these difficult times, and avoid buying from them in the future, as that is MY right. May not make any difference in the long run but doing the right thing when no one notices is the true test of a persons moral beliefs.
    Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Especially if running away from confrontation and different beliefs is your forte…
    Obviously not one of my virtues.

Boolit Master

Something all the folks that are crabbing about the prices miss is so very simple.

The fix for their complaint is far worse than the supposed problem itself.

See, the simple fix is for the gov't to either dictate the max price for ammo.Of course, that's going to hit much more than just 22 ammo. Going to affect everything.

Or, they can simply also go around and confiscate everybody's supply of ammo, then redistribute it out to those that have a need for it (not just a want for it).

Now, here's the rub with all that. First off, there's that pesky Constitution and the Bill of Rights in the way, but we can easily see that hasn't stopped the current administration much. But, this time I think it would at least slow them down. Second, they don't want us to have the means to stop their Marxist agenda anyways, so I think they would just omit the redistribution part and lie about that fact. Of course, they wouldn't forget to give gov't agencies what they need.

And, lastly, there was a major country that had a system like this, but it only lasted about 75 years. That would be the country of Stalin and Lenin.

If you don't like the answers, please feel free to a country that does this stuff. Just don't vote for another crooked politician in this country. We've got plenty already, and besides, we do have the best politicians "money will buy". I say that because it seems American politicians are easily bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    Something all the folks that are crabbing about the prices miss is so very simple.

The fix for their complaint is far worse than the supposed problem itself.

See, the simple fix is for the gov't to either dictate the max price for ammo.Of course, that's going to hit much more than just 22 ammo. Going to affect everything.

Or, they can simply also go around and confiscate everybody's supply of ammo, then redistribute it out to those that have a need for it (not just a want for it).

Now, here's the rub with all that. First off, there's that pesky Constitution and the Bill of Rights in the way, but we can easily see that hasn't stopped the current administration much. But, this time I think it would at least slow them down. Second, they don't want us to have the means to stop their Marxist agenda anyways, so I think they would just omit the redistribution part and lie about that fact. Of course, they wouldn't forget to give gov't agencies what they need.

And, lastly, there was a major country that had a system like this, but it only lasted about 75 years. That would be the country of Stalin and Lenin.

If you don't like the answers, please feel free to a country that does this stuff. Just don't vote for another crooked politician in this country. We've got plenty already, and besides, we do have the best politicians "money will buy". I say that because it seems American politicians are easily bought.
    This of course would be an unacceptal solution.

But it is far from being anywhere near the only solution.

Yeah, the other solution is to whine until you get the seller to sell to you at 1/3 of actual market value, (as determined by open auction), just to get you to go away and leave him alone. Only when that fails do the whiners get out their Obamaphones and demand an executive order to redistribute all the ammo.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I'll tell you what.

You come up with a solution that all these whiners will accept that works and doesn't shred the Constitution.

I'll bet you can't, because the reason most of them (not many of those crabbing here, but everywhere) are crabbing is simple. They didn't plan ahead, and they want somebody to fix it for them.

Now, I'll drop a real bomb on some folks. This same thing happened in 2008-2009.

It isn't just 22 ammo, but components as well. I've lost a LOT of potential sales because I didn't have a massive stock of 9mm jacketed bullets on hand to load for sale. Bought primers lately? Same story.

I certainly don't like the current situation, but I also know sitting around and crabbing about isn't going to fix it one bit. Matter of fact, it will fix itself soon. Once demand goes from "The sky is falling" to "Oh, I guess it isn't", prices will drop, supply will be available. That's how "capitalism" works, supply and demand.

Now, notice I don't crab about the situation. It won't fix diddly, and that's clear. What steps did I take to fix the 9mm jacketed bullet issue? I tooled up to make them. Yeah, I use cast boolits too, but if you're selling ammo to Glock owners (and dealers and ranges that sell to Glock shooters), then you need to sell ammo with jacketed bullets. They don't grasp how to get around that, especially the range in the city that I told to replace the barrels with aftermarket and solve it easily. They just don't understand, nor do they want to.

See, we (gun owners) are our own worst enemy. Some of us will roll right over for the gov't to take their rights away in exchange for a little safety. I used to be (until 18 months ago) one of those guys that provided that safety. I was a ".mil" (think email address), not a ".gov", and I worked for them full time, even spent many years in the active duty too.

Now, we can sit around and crab to the choir, or we can get up off the couch and do something about our situation. I've done some, doing more and I'm not stopping that. You can either get up and join me, or wallow in your sorrow. I'll welcome the help. Consider this a challenge. Joining this or that is nice, but that's not real effort. Contact your local folks fighting the good fight against the gun grabbers. And, if you're in Vermont, feel free to contact me, as I'm one of the few leading this drive here. Massachussets or New Hampshire? I know who to send you to.

And, jcwit, this isn't directed at you. But, I do want to hear your solution. I certainly don't have anywhere near most of the answers, let alone all of them. You just might have something that would work. I just don't think the real crabbers will want to hear it. I think most of them will welcome redistribution, that's their mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    I'll tell you what.

You come up with a solution that all these whiners will accept that works and doesn't shred the Constitution.

I'll bet you can't, because the reason most of them (not many of those crabbing here, but everywhere) are crabbing is simple. They didn't plan ahead, and they want somebody to fix it for them.

Now, I'll drop a real bomb on some folks. This same thing happened in 2008-2009.

It isn't just 22 ammo, but components as well. I've lost a LOT of potential sales because I didn't have a massive stock of 9mm jacketed bullets on hand to load for sale. Bought primers lately? Same story.

I certainly don't like the current situation, but I also know sitting around and crabbing about isn't going to fix it one bit. Matter of fact, it will fix itself soon. Once demand goes from "The sky is falling" to "Oh, I guess it isn't", prices will drop, supply will be available. That's how "capitalism" works, supply and demand.

Now, notice I don't crab about the situation. It won't fix diddly, and that's clear. What steps did I take to fix the 9mm jacketed bullet issue? I tooled up to make them. Yeah, I use cast boolits too, but if you're selling ammo to Glock owners (and dealers and ranges that sell to Glock shooters), then you need to sell ammo with jacketed bullets. They don't grasp how to get around that, especially the range in the city that I told to replace the barrels with aftermarket and solve it easily. They just don't understand, nor do they want to.

See, we (gun owners) are our own worst enemy. Some of us will roll right over for the gov't to take their rights away in exchange for a little safety. I used to be (until 18 months ago) one of those guys that provided that safety. I was a ".mil" (think email address), not a ".gov", and I worked for them full time, even spent many years in the active duty too.

Now, we can sit around and crab to the choir, or we can get up off the couch and do something about our situation. I've done some, doing more and I'm not stopping that. You can either get up and join me, or wallow in your sorrow. I'll welcome the help. Consider this a challenge. Joining this or that is nice, but that's not real effort. Contact your local folks fighting the good fight against the gun grabbers. And, if you're in Vermont, feel free to contact me, as I'm one of the few leading this drive here. Massachussets or New Hampshire? I know who to send you to.

And, jcwit, this isn't directed at you. But, I do want to hear your solution. I certainly don't have anywhere near most of the answers, let alone all of them. You just might have something that would work. I just don't think the real crabbers will want to hear it. I think most of them will welcome redistribution, that's their mentality.
    A partial solution that MIGHT work is all these wanna be retailers to acquire a retail license and collect sales tax and pay their taxes on income AKA profits of said sales not only to the state but to the Fed.

I sure most here at least those here in the mid-west have heard of the Shipshewana Trading Place AKA Flea Market. Try to get into this market as a seller without a business license, ain't gonna happen.

Also the retailer who continues to sell out all of his ammo supply week after week and month after month to the same goons over and over is no friend to the shooting fraternity. I'm referring to the big box stores not the independent retailer. I'm NOT advocating laws tho to accomplish this.

This whole idea could also be applied to gas if folks found a way to buy up all the supply. After all gas is not a requirement to life. You say, Oh yes it is, I have to get to work, solution, get a job closer to home, buy a bike, the Amish get along just fine without depending of transportation provided by gas.
    Last edited by jcwit; 06-20-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Yeah, the other solution is to whine until you get the seller to sell to you at 1/3 of actual market value, (as determined by open auction), just to get you to go away and leave him alone. Only when that fails do the whiners get out their Obamaphones and demand an executive order to redistribute all the ammo.
    Are you implying I lean towards the Obama agenda?

Now, notice I don't crab about the situation. It won't fix diddly, and that's clear. What steps did I take to fix the 9mm jacketed bullet issue? I tooled up to make them. Yeah, I use cast boolits too, but if you're selling ammo to Glock owners (and dealers and ranges that sell to Glock shooters), then you need to sell ammo with jacketed bullets. They don't grasp how to get around that, especially the range in the city that I told to replace the barrels with aftermarket and solve it easily. They just don't understand, nor do they want to
    Do you in fact have the Federal licenses to manufacture ammo?

I'm advocating laws tho to accomplish this.
    Yup! Just as predicted JC advocates picking up the Obamaphone.

Obama can defy gravity, y'know. . . . .
    Cognitive Dissident

Yup! Just as predicted JC advocates picking up the Obamaphone.

Obama can defy gravity, y'know. . . . .
    Dang,I missed the NOT, Thanks for pointing that out. Gave me a chance to change my post correctly!

To be absolutely clear, NO I'm NOT advocating laws to this. Again NO!, NO1, NO!.

Got it? NO!

Was just now flipping thru the channels and MSNBC had a jerk by the name of Martin Basher on and my guide says he's followed by the idiot Chris Matthews. Only good thing about it is, the remote still works to change channels.