Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hogue or Pachmayr Grips for Super Blackhawk Hunter

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."

Hogue or Pachmayr Grips for Super Blackhawk Hunter

I just picked up a new Super BlackHawk Hunter at the big gunshow in Phoenix today. What a mad house. No joke; I waited in line about an hour and a half just to get to the ticket counter. That doesn't count the 25 minutes or so waiting to park the truck.
    There was more people buying ammo than anything else. My guess is that most of them weren't reloaders.
    The sight of it reminded me of pictures I've seen of the food-relief lines back in the Depression days of the 1930's. Folks would walk out the gate of the gunshow carrying cases of ammo and looking like they'd just recieved a box of badly needed food to tide them over for a while.
    Now back to the original subject; This new revovler is a replacement gun for the Desert Eagle I've been shooting for a couple of years. With the Desert Eagle I was basically limited as to the type of bullets I could shoot out of it because of the gas operated system it uses to cycle.
    Lead is much cheaper. I work right next to the tire department at my job so, I get the lead for free. No one ever gave me Jacketed bullets for free.
    Anyhow; Do any of you more experienced SAA Revolver guys know if either Hogue or Pachmayr makes Cushy aftermarket grips that will fit on a SBH Hunter model?
    I know they make them for the older Blackhawks with the square trigger guard but, this revolver has the round trigger guard.
    The answer to my question has more than likely aready been answered in one of the thousands of threads on this forum site. I just wouldn't know where to begin to look for it so, I thought I'd ask.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 04-25-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: misspelled words

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=297021 will fit your gun I received mine 2 weeks ago and boy do they make a difference.

Boolit Master

Hogue or Pachmayr Grips for Super Blackhawk Hunter

Thanks very much for the recomendation. Oddly enough I did purchase a set of these while I was at the gunshow today.
    The old gal at the counter handed me a set after I told her they type of gun they were for. I just assumed they were the correct grips. When I got home and tried to put them on, I found that they were not.
    I tried to modify them to get them to fit. But, of course that's just a round-about way of saying I destroyed them.
    The factory grips are just a little to small and a little to slippery feeling. I just had a hard time envisioning myself being able to maintain a proper grip while shooting full power loads with this set up.
    Although I've shot 44's before, none of them have ever been revolvers. The image of a Single Action Revolver imbedded in my forhead kept comming to mind so I decided to purchase the correct set of grips.

Thanks again for the link
    Hollowpoint

Boolit Buddy

Any grip that fits a SUPER BLACKHAWK will fit this gun. There will be a small difference in the grip just behind the trigger guard because the regular SBH is square while the Hunter is round, but in every other dimension they're identical and will fit fine.

Boolit Master
    bisleyfan41

Thanks very much for the input.
    The grips that I eluded to in my previous post (the ones that I destroyed while trying to get them to fit) really looked like they'd fit but, for some reason they just wouldn't. I kind of wish they had; I'd be out breaking in this new revolver right now.
    Instead I spent the morning loading up the last of my 44 JHP's. If everything goes according to plans, I'll have everything ready to go for a shooting session next weekend.
    While I have your attention; perhaps you can answer a question concerning this New Ruger Super Blackhawk. (or any Ruger Revolver for that matter) Do you know what the measurement of the "Cylinder Gap" is suposed to be?
    I'm a novice when it comes to this type of gun. I'm not really sure if "Cylinder Gap" is the correct terminology.
    I'm refering to the Gap between the mouth of the forcing cone and the face of the cylinder. Is there an optimum Gap distance there?

HollowPoint, is yours the Bisley grip by any chance?

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...l=862&return=Y

Boolit Master

It's The Standard SBH, Not The Bisely

Greetings Sir:

In answer to your question. The Super Blackhawk Hunter I just purchased is not the Bisely model. Even though I could have gone either way; in mean, with the Bisely model or the standard model, the opportunity to buy at a decent price came only with the standard model.
    I have yet to shoot it. Right now I'm basically trying to get it ready to shoot. I want my first time out to be a pleasent experience. (Is that's possible with a 44magnum?)
    I've ordered a set of the appropriate grips. I'm now looking at replaceing the Base-Pin with a slightly larger diameter pin. Even though I have very, very limited experience with this type of gun, it seems to me that the cylinder on this new revolver has too much play in it. It could be normal for all I now. I just seems too loose to me.

HollowPoint

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    Greetings Sir:

In answer to your question. The Super Blackhawk Hunter I just purchased is not the Bisely model. Even though I could have gone either way; in mean, with the Bisely model or the standard model, the opportunity to buy at a decent price came only with the standard model.
    I have yet to shoot it. Right now I'm basically trying to get it ready to shoot. I want my first time out to be a pleasent experience. (Is that's possible with a 44magnum?)
    I've ordered a set of the appropriate grips. I'm now looking at replaceing the Base-Pin with a slightly larger diameter pin. Even though I have very, very limited experience with this type of gun, it seems to me that the cylinder on this new revolver has too much play in it. It could be normal for all I now. I just seems too loose to me.

HollowPoint
    The play in the cylinder is not only normal but desirable. You are not feeling pin slop only rotational movement and replacing the pin will not change that.
    Don't worry about the gap either.
    The Hunter is heavy and recoil is actually mild, we shoot heavy 330 gr loads from it. The gun is super accurate as is, no need for anything but a good trigger job.
    The Pachmeyer grips for the SBH work great with a round trigger guard because there is some flex right behind the trigger guard that makes it easier on the knuckle.
    The standard grip is easier to shoot accurately then the Bisley. The Bisley MUST be held exactly the same shot to shot.
    Use a good firm grip, do not let it roll and don't use a death grip either.
    With the calibers we shoot today, the .44 is a ***** cat. Do not fear the recoil or fight it, just control it and you will grow to love shooting it more then any other gun you have.
    Use a good lube on the pin, ratchet on the rear of the cylinder and on the front bearing point of the cylinder. I use STP or RCBS case lube (I think it is just STP!) It doesn't take much, just don't shoot it dry and it will last forever.
    Enjoy your gun, quit worrying, it is a good choice.

Hollow Pt, you must have a lot of self control.....I would have the bluing smoking on that pistol by now....44Man has it right , don't fight it, it Ain't going to bite you , I understand how you feel about the grips, but you haven't even shot it yet, how do you know it is going to be so uncomfortable to shoot? From your post , I think you have been told to get ready for PAIN....IMHO
    While you wait, get a box of mid-range loads, or load some at about 1,000fps and Try it out.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master
    Hollowpoint, I have the SS SBH Hunter with the Bisley grip, and I really, really like this gun. It seems to be fit just a little better than the standard Rugers I have had in the past, and really shoots well with either full power loads or cream puffs. BTW, the B/C gap on mine is .006, which is pretty normal for these guns. As Slow Elk and 44Man have stated, don't get caught up in worrying about technical stuff; just grab you some loads, head to the range, and enjoy shooting that thing! It's a great piece of hardware!
    lathesmith

In Remembrance

Hogue phone #

1-800-GET- GRIP Get a catalog or talk to a rep about grips fitting. A big "You Betcha" on a bit of STP on the cylinder pin. I have Hogue`s on all my RSB`s even the single six. My hands are comparable to bear paws in size so the grips fit me very well. As an aside, take a grain of salt with what a show salesperson will tell you about something you are unfamiliar with. Robert

Boolit Master
    Greetings to 44man, Lathesmith and Hardcast:

And thanks alot for the encouragement. I must be giving the impression that I'm reluctant to endure a little recoil from this new gun. I'm not.
    As I stated in my initial post, this new SBH is a replacement for the Desert Eagle 44 that I'd been reloading and shooting for the last three years. It was a fun gun to shoot but, I was limited to shooting jacketed bullets out of it.
    Since I'd taken up casting my own bullet for a couple of milsurp rifles I owned, I thought I'd sell it and by a 44 magunm that I could cast my own bullets for in this caliber as well.
    From an economic standpoint, I thought it was a good move. As far as recoil is concerned, shooing this SBH shouldn't be all that much different than shooting the Desert Eagle.
    For me, the Desert Eagle's recoil was pretty much straight back and then a quick snap up at the muzzle. Because of the shape of the grip on this SBH, I expect the recoil to be kind of the opposite; more up at the muzzle and then back.
    Having never shot a revolver any larger than a 22, I could be mistaken about my assumptions about recoil. I'll find out this weekend. I believe it will be a fun gun to load for and shoot.
    The majority of the handguns I've shot have been semiauto's. I also own and shoot single shot Encores and Contender pistols; both in 223.
    I may be comparing apples to oranges but, I've always gotten better accuracy from handguns and rifles that had a tight lockup. That's why I mentioned the loose fit of the cylinder on this new SBH.
    If the new Belt Mountain Base Pin that I'll be installing does nothing more than provide me with some psychological relief, well, that's ok with me. It will be one less thing to distract me from having fun shooting it.
    I do think I'm going to try that STP suggestion. That sounds like a pretty good idea. Here in the desert, I don't think I'll have to worry about freezing temps to seize up the internals on this revolver.

Thanks again everyone for your input.
    I'll try to get back on here again after
    I've put a few round through this new
    toy.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

The Pachmayr Grips won't Fit my Super Blackhawk Hunter

This second set of Pachmayr Grips Are Identical to the first set I bought. The Grip Frame on my SBH will not fit into these Grips.
    These same Pachmayr Grips were recommended by another fellow on this forum that said they fit his SBH very well. I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve him.
    I'm glad he got them to work on his gun. Just wish they would have worked on mine.
    It's midway product number 297021. They don't even come close to fitting properly.
    The first set of grips I bought (the ones I destroyed by splitting down the middle) can be set right up against the grip frame to allow me to see that the frame of the revolver is larger than the interior dimensions of the grip itself.
    Even If I were to attempt to meticulously cut away some of the interior walls of the Pachmayr grips, I might be able to get them to fit but, not permanently. The screw hole on these grips falls right in ling with the hammer spring. There would be no way to secure them in place.
    I guess I'll have to send these back and shoot with the factory grips for now.
    Oh well; no sense in whinning about it.

Over and Out.
    HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    This second set of Pachmayr Grips Are Identical to the first set I bought. The Grip Frame on my SBH will not fit into these Grips.
    These same Pachmayr Grips were recommended by another fellow on this forum that said they fit his SBH very well. I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve him.
    I'm glad he got them to work on his gun. Just wish they would have worked on mine.
    It's midway product number 297021. They don't even come close to fitting properly.
    The first set of grips I bought (the ones I destroyed by splitting down the middle) can be set right up against the grip frame to allow me to see that the frame of the revolver is larger than the interior dimensions of the grip itself.
    Even If I were to attempt to meticulously cut away some of the interior walls of the Pachmayr grips, I might be able to get them to fit but, not permanently. The screw hole on these grips falls right in ling with the hammer spring. There would be no way to secure them in place.
    I guess I'll have to send these back and shoot with the factory grips for now.
    Oh well; no sense in whinning about it.

Over and Out.
    HollowPoint
    I've got the same exact gun as you, you ordered the wrong grips. The 4 5/8 and the 5 1/2 SBH round guard take a smaller grip than the 7 1/2, 10 1/2 grip with the square back trigger guard. Even though your SBH Hunter has a round trigger guard it will take the same grip as the SBH 7 1/2 and 10 1/2 square back grip. Send them back and order these:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=263618

Boolit Master
    I despise Hogue grips... All of the ones I've seen have an exposed back strap that bites into my hand when I shoot.
    I put Pachmayrs onto all my revolvers if at all possible. The grips totally surround the metal handle in rubber.
    Good Luck, I hope that you find the right set!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Boolit Master

Not Sure Which Pachmayr's Are Correct

Greetings Mr. Heavy; and Tom:

I checked out the link you posted. I kind of like the finger groves and the fact that they are said to be softer rubber grips.
    When I checked the the Midway "reviews" on this set of grips I noticed that one of the guys that posted a review stated that, "These Grips Didn't Even Come Close To Fitting My Super Blackhawk Hunter so they got sent Back."
    I have no doubt that the grips you posted the link for fit your SBHH Mr. Lead. Your statement about my present set of nonfitting grips being made for the shorter barreled rugers sound about right on the money.
    I will be sending my present set of grips back this weekend. I'll try to get hold of someone at Pachmayr before Saturday. Hopefully I can get some confirmation about the Decelerator Grips that you've had good luck with. I do like the look of them.
    Tom; As far as the Hogue grips are concerned' I can't say that I blame you. I'm sure they are functional and all but, the profile of a revolvers with a set of these grips installed seem to look to far out of proportion. The revolver no longer has the flowing lines that it does with the factory grips or custom grips that flow in the same manner.
    Anyway, I guess it's back to the drawing board with these grips.

Many thanks gentlemen, for your input.
    HollowPoint

I have the Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley. I have never fire the regular grip but the Bisley grip is perfect the way it is shaped and think a rubber grip would not be a plus. I would prefer the gun be able to roll with stout loads.

Boolit Master
    I talked to a Pachmayr representative today in order to find out exactly which set of Pachmayr grips would fit my new Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter.
    He said that presently Pachmayr does not make a set of Grip that will fit the SBH Hunter. I kind of have to take him at his word but, now I'm really confused.
    I've had a couple of guys on this forum tell me that they were able to get a couple of different sets of Pachmayr grips to fit their SBH Hunter revolvers. Now this guy's telling me that right now Pachmayr doesn't make a set of the "Presentation Grips" or the "Decelerator Grips" that will fit my gun.
    Out of curiousity I asked him if or when Pachmayr would have a set of Grips made specifically for the SBH Hunter. He stated that it wouldn't be till the first of next year when they release their new product lines.
    Oh well; it looks like I better get used to the factory grips.

Good shooting everyone.
    HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    HollowPoint,
    Sent you a PM last night, did you get it? I've got a set of Uncle Mikes (very similiar to the Pachmayer) grips that I know for sure will fit it, because they fit mine. I'm not using them as I'm using Hogue oversized finger groove wood grips on it and like them. I'll send them to you for postage. By the way these grips fit my SBH Hunter and all my SBH square back grips too exactly, so I wonder if the guy you talked to at Pachmayer knows they are the same grip short of the round trigger guard.

Boolit Master
    Greetings Heavy:

I got a chance to go out this morning and put about 40 rounds through my new SBH Hunter. I started out with 200 grain JHP Minimum Loads straight out of the loading book just to get a feel of the recoil.
    Those factory Grips must be made more for looks than recoil mitigation but, it wasn't any more or less than the recoil I felt when I shot the Desert Eagle I just sold. However, after about 35 rounds I started to feel those factory grips.
    I shot 10 of each. Starting with Blue Dot, then 2400, then H110, then the last 10 rounds were full power loads of 240 grain Gold Dots. At the Minimum charge weight the H110 Powder and the 200 grain JHP's definately had a little more snap to them. At just a little below the maximum charge weight of H110 and the 240 grain Gold Dots, I began to feel the need for a better set of grips.
    If your offer is still good, I believe I'll take you up on the Uncle Mikes Grips you mentioned. Please let me know how to procceed with aquiring these grips.

Many Thanks.
    HollowPoint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast