WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: simple lube.

Boolit Grand Master

I gave it five stars this afternoon. I just wish I had more time to tinker like I used to.
    I bought all the stuff to make this lube 8 months ago. Still haven't gotten to it.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

[QUOTE=geargnasher;2366359]Well, we got it up to four stars now guys, keep it up! I agree, for 95% of the shooting most people do, it's great, and a wonderful "base" for experimentation if one fancies such. Just like Felix lube, every ingredient is there for a reason, not just because it "sounded good".

Gear[/QUOTE
    Gee Mr. Gear thanks for reminding me i need a third sizer loaded with felix lube.lol.
    Seriously tho that makes another good case for simple lube in that it is so easy to make for a first time lube maker.
    If you follow the instructions, which are easy and clear, you'll have success first try. Then if you want to try making Ben's Red or Felix which has more steps in the making you should be better prepared to have success in making them too or any other lube along those lines. You may find simple lube is all you need. I can tell you it and Ben's Red are both working in this mississippi heat.

Waiting for cold weather here in south central ms.to further test simple lube, but just wanted everyone to know it held together in the heat all summer. I started lubing only one groove and was doing fine but as it got into august the groups opened a little. I went back to both grooves lubed and the accurracy came right back.
    Been shooting this lube for three months every weekend ... results ALWAYS the same and i have'nt seen it purge yet. 1800fps to 2500fps and it hasn't said calf rope yet.
    Now to see how cold i can go with it when the weather changes.

Banned

the ester oils will handle the cold just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Waiting for cold weather here in south central ms.to further test simple lube, but just wanted everyone to know it held together in the heat all summer. I started lubing only one groove and was doing fine but as it got into august the groups opened a little. I went back to both grooves lubed and the accurracy came right back.
    Been shooting this lube for three months every weekend ... results ALWAYS the same and i have'nt seen it purge yet. 1800fps to 2500fps and it hasn't said calf rope yet.
    Now to see how cold i can go with it when the weather changes.
    Good to know because I live in west-central GA.

I am a first time lube maker and so far I like the performance of the lube, I just wish it was a little softer. It seems to crumble or break when I put my bullets in a bucket. Any ideas with out adding 10 new ingredients?

R5R,

I read through the whole thread a few months back but can't remember how much finished product you get from the basic recipe listed in post #1. Did it make enough to fill your lubrisizer once, twice, thrice? I'll be pan lubing but knowing how many fills of your sizer you got will give me an idea of the volume of finished product the recipe makes. Please advise, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by grubbylabs View Post
    I am a first time lube maker and so far I like the performance of the lube, I just wish it was a little softer. It seems to crumble or break when I put my bullets in a bucket. Any ideas with out adding 10 new ingredients?
    I keep my boolits lubed and stored in old bullet and shotgun boxes jammed packed to overflowing and they don't do that. The lube stays firm in the grooves. Not saying you did anything wrong but when i measured my vaseline i dipped the teaspoon into the jar packing it full then scraped it flat level with the edge of a kitchen knife. It didn't come out crumbly at all. It has a solid dryish feel to the outside when it sets up but when squeezed it mashes pretty easily and you immediately feel the slick slightly tacky texture. Just saying that might have made the difference in my batch. Not saying i did it right but it worked out well. I love this lube. Maybe take a small amount of it and add a titch more vaseline?

r5r will know for sure and i'm no expert but it sounds a bit dry.

I was thinking a tad dry also. So add 11 not 10 new ingredients. All though in a serious answer I think its the atf that helps make it less sticky. If I am thinking of the correct lube.
    Change? Not this type. Can we just have a refund?

I made my first batch per his instructions, and like him I used regular kitchen measuring utensils as it appears r5r did.

Looks like adding a little more petroleum jelly may help my situation out after re-reading some of the early posts

Banned

the vaseline is the modifier.
    not all beeswax is the same and that is how to adjust the firmness.
    some also don't add the lanolin.
    this adds flexability and tackyness to the lube [a little more vaseline will help here too] and the recipe has been modified with the addition of some [ 1-2tbs] alox which hurts nothing but adds a bit more softness too.

Taco.
    i use star sizers and don't make sticks.
    i just cut the lube into strips and push them into the sizer, most solid sticks are about 2oz's though.
    and i think hollow ones are about 1.5 oz's.
    4 oz's of lube will fill a star and leave me a bit over to refill with after about 3-500 boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post

Taco.
    i use star sizers and don't make sticks.
    i just cut the lube into strips and push them into the sizer, most solid sticks are about 2oz's though.
    and i think hollow ones are about 1.5 oz's.
    4 oz's of lube will fill a star and leave me a bit over to refill with after about 3-500 boolits.
    3-500 boolits? That should be enough to get me started. Like I said, I'll be pan lubing until further notice. I'm not against a sizer but its a cost thing. Plus, the dies are more costly than the Lee set up. Thank for the input!
    Last edited by taco650; 09-15-2013 at 09:06 AM.

I've used paraffin, beeswax, (with bee parts), and Vaseline for years. Lately started adding a few squirts of LLA since I've got so much of it buying the Lee sizing dies. Seems to work at a little higher speeds maybe.

I've been talking with r5r about his lube and decided to make a batch tonight before work. I've been getting fliers in my pistol shooting and think it has to do with lube purging. Can't swear it’s that but seems I've hit a wall on accuracy and I'm wanting more so I'll give simple lube the ol collage try.

One thing I did change was the 2 stroke oil; I used was full synthetic made by Husqvarna. It didn't want to blend at first so I kept stirring the mix (a solid 15 mins) and it finally blended in after about 10mins of stirring. I poured the lube into my pan lube setup and it was lacking about .100" from covering the 2nd lube groove so after work I'll make another batch to finish up these boolits. I do have pics but ran out of time before work so I'll post them in the morning. The lube does look like post 61 page 4 so it must be close to being right.

I'll start load development from scratch with this lube and see if accuracy comes in. I'm hoping it will keep flies to a min. or none at all which would be great.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Maken the brew last night.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	82273

And the lube this morning

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	82274
    your ass tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by warf73 View Post
    Maken the brew last night.

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	82273

And the lube this morning

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	82274
    You made it in the house? You must not be married or else your wife can't smell LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    You made it in the house? You must not be married or else your wife can't smell LOL!
    LOL yup made it in the house with the wife in the kitchen while I was doing it. The top pic shows a sliding glass door(facing south) on the left once the bees wax was melted it came open. We had a front come in and had a nice north breeze so the wife couldn't smell anything unless she was beside the stove. Really unless you put your face near the pot all you could smell was bees wax.
    your ass tomorrow."

Banned

Name:	IMG_20130930_185255_8851835706261.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	83227

Ok...

Made a batch of simple lube. All went well, followed the directions exactly except i didn't use the lanolin.

The only variance I had was I used Peak brand 2 stroke and Mercron for the trannny fluid..... And I got THIS.

Appears that I got some kind of separation going on on the top as it cools. I melted it back down and stirred the be Jeebus out of it. Same result. The bottom and sides of the block dont have the tiger striping, just the top. There is no visible separation when it's melted in the pot.

Any thoughts??

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast