Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Have you purchased Steve Gunz action video?

Vendor Sponsor

Have you purchased Steve Gunz action video?

Ive got a Rossi that needs some help and searching the interweb, i see this video comes up often as the "go to" to DIY action work. Have you watched or purchased this video and whats it worth? Did the video help you?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    Ive got a Rossi that needs some help and searching the interweb, i see this video comes up often as the "go to" to DIY action work. Have you watched or purchased this video and whats it worth? Did the video help you?

Yes, I found it useful and well made. Turns out my R92 has had all or most of the described work already done. The video was useful in figuring out how to install the bolt-mounted peep sight IIRC.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Yes, I found it useful and well made. Turns out my R92 has had all or most of the described work already done. The video was useful in figuring out how to install the bolt-mounted peep sight IIRC.
    Thanks! Want to sell it?

I smoothed out both my Rossi 92's (.357 & .45 Colt) and made/installed a bolt peepsight (using a Skinner LoPro) just before Steve came out with his DVD & bolt peep.

However, folks that I've known a long time online said they needed his DVD and were glad they bought it.

If you order his DVD, he can also send you his lawyer safety replacement bolt peepsight, and a metallic magazine follower to replace the plastic Rossi item.

Both items are a definite improvement in accuracy (bolt peep) and reliability (plastic is NOT fantastic).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I think it is a good resource to have.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    Thanks! Want to sell it?

No, it's part of my reference library. I'll probably go thru this gun and tweak it a bit someday or buy another R92.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I had numerous issues with my 1980s Puma in 357. Called Steve got the video he told me what parts I needed and most importantly, what parts I didn't need. Followed his advise and directions on the DVD works like a champ. I have made up dummy rounds and can cycle them through that rifle with ease, and no the DVD is not for sale. If a large corporation made the video maybe, but this is the mans livelihood. He treated me well and I will not cut him out of his small profit. It is worth the money.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by fordwannabe View Post
    I had numerous issues with my 1980s Puma in 357. Called Steve got the video he told me what parts I needed and most importantly, what parts I didn't need. Followed his advise and directions on the DVD works like a champ. I have made up dummy rounds and can cycle them through that rifle with ease, and no the DVD is not for sale. If a large corporation made the video maybe, but this is the mans livelihood. He treated me well and I will not cut him out of his small profit. It is worth the money.
    Thanks for the feedback! I believe in small businessmen, wasnt trying to cut him out, rather getting it quicker... i called and emailed him a week ago and have had no response. Wasnt sure if he was still around or only part time...

Boolit Master

I bought the video and watched it a couple times. I was concerned about how much metal he was taking off the parts with a grinder. I used the video as a guide for the parts to be worked on. IIRC I did all the work with files and did a lot of polishing with stones. When I was done it was one smooth working carbine. Smooth as butter, as they say. I don't know if it was because of the I did but it would feed any .38 Spl or .357 Mag I fed it except WCs.
    Chuck

Boolit Bub
    Youtube has several videos on slicking the Rossi 92.

Boolit Master
    Every time I come on this site, I find something else to buy. After looking through Steve's products, I'm thinking of giving my 92 an action job, new follower, getting rid of that stupid safety, and a tang sight along with a brass bead front sight.

Boolit Master

I have a few winnie 92s. Did action jobs based on info available on the but was still looking to get the last hink out of the cycling. Steve's video identified the problem and fix. From the spring work in steve's video, i would say if you have a Rossi you need to see the info first hand several times. It is worth the money since I worked over three 92s with it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    I have a few winnie 92s. Did action jobs based on info available on the but was still looking to get the last hink out of the cycling. Steve's video identified the problem and fix. From the spring work in steve's video, i would say if you have a Rossi you need to see the info first hand several times. It is worth the money since I worked over three 92s with it.
    Out of curiosity, how idiot proof is the action job DVD? Is a single slip going to ruin the gun, or is it hard to mess up that bad?

Boolit Grand Master

I generally take things a bit slower than Steve does with his video but he's done this job dozens, maybe hundreds of times. I'm living proof that no aspect of gun repair can ever be "idiot proof" but as I recall this video gets about as close as we can expect. Camera work is quite good as I recall and it's easy to see exactly what he's telling you to do.