Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corn Bread

Boolit Mold

Corn Bread

I forgot to include this request along with my request for baked beans hints ----- Corn Bread is not so well known over here , therefore we dont see any recipes for it on the food blogs , so I'm asking for recipes for same . I'm a very basic learner , and pretty much learning as I go , and I would like hints / recipes that are easy to follow . Thanks once again for everyone's patience.
    MZLLDR

Here's the one I use. It's from the Alber's Corn Meal box:

1 cup Alber's Yellow Corn Meal
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 8-inch square baking pan.
    Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine milk, oil and egg in small bowl, mix well. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stir just until blended. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.

Note: Recipe may be doubled. Use greased 13x9-inch baking pan; bake as above.

Boolit Grand Master

1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin / Cornbread Mix
    1 egg
    1/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

blend ingredients - I use a whisk

Muffins - fill muffin cups 2/3 full .
    Cornbread - pour batter into greased 8 X 8 inch pan.

Bake 20 - 25 minutes .

This is my Mom's old family recipe
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

+1 jiffy mix !

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

I have my old family recipe, passed down from a long time ago. To me, there are 2 types of cornbread--crumbly and cake style. Cake style has more flour in it. Just depends how you like it, both are good. Our recipe is a crumbly style. My mother was from Missouri, moved to northern Oklahoma as a young girl. She didn't really make cornbread til she married dad and he brought her to Texas. It was a staple on my dad's family table. She got the recipe from My Great Grandmother "Mammy". This was in '41. Mammy was in her mid 90's at the time. It originated in Alabama.

1.5 cups corn meal
    .5 cups flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup shortening or butter
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees, putting in cast iron skillet to pre-heat. Mix egg and milk and when oven is ready, remove skillet to put shortening in it to melt it. Add wet and dry mixtures and mix well, pour in skillet and bake 15-20 minutes. Comes out with a crusty bottom and golden top.

Funny thing, those of us who love cast iron turn our nose up at anything not made in the Good Ole USA. I have a #8 skillet with "Made in Taiwan" on the bottom. The inside bottom is machined. It's the best skillet in the world to make cornbread in.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Thumbs up

I love cornbread and it is generally accepted that to cook it properly you need to bake it in a cast iron pan. Lodge (and others) make dedicated cornbread skillets with 8 segmented wedges to ensure that each piece is nice and crispy on the outside edges (and I have 2 of them), but in a pinch it can be baked as a single large "cake" in regular cast iron frying pan and then cut into wedges. Cast iron muffin pans work well too if you want to make "corn dodgers" which are individual round cornbread muffins (and I have 2 cast iron muffin pans too of course). This is my favorite recipe that I've settled on and I've never had any complaints from anyone who's tried it and in fact there are several of our friends who request it!

THE ULTIMATE CORNBREAD RECIPE

Dry Ingredients:

- 1 Cup of All Purpose Unbleached White Flour

- 3/4 Cup of yellow cornmeal

- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder

- 1 Teaspoon of salt

- 4 Tablespoons of sugar

- about 1 generous cup of mixed, grated cheese(s) (your choice of type)

Wet Ingredients:

- 3/4 Cup of Buttermilk

- 1/4 Cup of Whole Milk

- 2 Eggs, beaten

- 1/3 Cup of melted Butter or Margarine (I usually substitute with regular cooking oil)

- I can of Creamed Style Corn (optional)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray two 9" aluminum pie pans (if that is all you have to work with) using Pam or with cooking oil if you have a pump sprayer like we do. Cast iron is always the BEST for cooking cornbread, and a cast iron skillet, or an actual segmented cast iron cornbread pan is the very best way to cook cornbread properly.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and blend them well. In a smaller bowl or measuring cup, thoroughly mix the buttermilk, whole milk, eggs, and oil or melted margarine. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour the batter into the two pie pans evenly and place in the preheated 375 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

When the cornbread is done, place on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes, then place a plate on the top and flip it over so that the cornbread is inverted on the plate. Cut into pie shaped wedges and spread with butter or margarine while it's still warm. It's great plain with Butter or Margarine, or topped with Apple Butter or any type of Jam. If any of it survives until the next morning, it's great for breakfast toasted until crispy under the oven broiler.

Important Tips:

- Have all of the ingredients at room temperature.

- Stone ground cornmeal works best and gives a golden coloured bread.

- If using melted margarine in the wet ingredients, don't use "no fat" versions as they contain too much water.

- Mix the batter until completely smooth. I don't care what your Grandmother said about lumpy batter being OK!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

There are a myriad of other cornbread recipes of course and I've tried a bunch of them, so here are some more recipes you can try. They are all just variations on a theme, but with changes in ingredients to vary the taste.

Anyway, if you're feeling adventurous you can try some of the following cornbread recipes and see what you like the best. Enjoy!

$10,000 Cornbread

(won a $10K prize at a cooking contest)

3 cups self-rising corn meal
    3 beaten eggs
    1 2/3 cups buttermilk
    1 pack rapid rise yeast
    4 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 cup oil
    1 small-med can cream corn
    5 Jalapeno peppers - medium.dice
    1/2 bell pepper med dice
    1 med onion med dice
    1.5 cups shredded cheddar
    Mix well, pour into a preheated cast iron skillet, bake at 400 degrees until top browns!

A Different Cornbread

1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups self-rising cornmeal or
    1 cornmeal mix
    1 1/4 cups milk
    1 egg; , beaten
    1 1/2 teaspoons cracked fennel seed
    1 1/2 teaspoons cracked pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pour the shortening in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Place the skillet in the hot oven. Place the self-rising cornmeal or mix in a bowl and whisk in the milk and egg. Add the fennel and pepper and stir until thoroughly blended. Stir the hot shortening into the batter, then pour the batter into the hot skillet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until done. Serve piping hot with butter.

Amish Sour Cream Cornbread

Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 cup cornmeal
    • 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 large egg, beaten
    • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    • 1 cup whole fat sour cream
    • 1/2 cup whole milk
    • butter, room temperature, for serving
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 400º and lightly grease a 9x5-inch bread pan with butter or non-stick spray.
    2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
    3. Beat in egg, sour cream, milk and melted butter until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
    4. Pour mixture into bread pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
    5. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing and serving.

Beer Cornbread

1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup canned corn kernels, drained (or thawed if frozen)
    2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup beer
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
    1 egg, beaten
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
    In a medium mixing bowl, mix together corn meal, flour, salt, corn kernels, scallions, sugar and baking powder. Stir in milk, beer, melted butter, cheese and egg. Mix until combined. Place in oven and bake 20 minutes.

Cajun Couche Couche
    ( pronounced Coosh Coosh)

Ingredients: (this is a bunch of EXOTIC stuff, yeah…)
    2 cups of yellow corn meal. Okay, white will probably work, but Maw-Maw used yellow …
    a teaspoon and a half of salt
    a teaspoon of baking powder
    a cup and a half of water or milk
    oil (Maw-Maw used the grease left from cooking bacon. You ought to try this. Serve the crisp bacon as a side to the sweet couche-couche…)
    (this makes the couche-couche. You’re gonna want some more milk, some sugar, or better yet, cane syrup or fig preserves, to EAT the couche-couche)
    The procedure:
    Put a heavy skillet (cast iron’s PERFECT for this!) on the stove over high heat and pour in a bit of oil. You want enough oil to where when you tilt the skillet, you can easily see it run to one side…
    While the skillet is heating, mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Add the liquid a bit at a time. You don’t want a batter. You want a wet mixture that will hold its form when you squeeze a bit in your fingers.
    Just when the oil starts to smoke, dump the whole bowl of cornmeal mix into the skillet and spread it over the bottom in a layer. Turn the heat down to medium. Now comes the hard part: Let it be! You’ll see a bit of steam start to rise through the mixture. Carefully lift a bit off the bottom? Is it brown? No? Let it be some more. If it’s brown, then turn the mixture over in clumps and let the other side brown. What you want to end up with is thumb-sized clumps of cooked, browned corn meal mix. When it’s cooked all the way through, then serve. If you’re of the curious type, a quick taste of the cooking process will easily tell you the difference between the uncooked (wetter looking) and cooked (dryer looking) mix. Once you taste what you’re looking at, you’ll have no trouble understanding the difference. That’s how I learned…
    How do you serve this?
    My favorite way was to spoon a cup or so into a bowl, pour some cane syrup over it as a sweetener, then add some cold milk. Think Cajun corn flakes, except crunchier, WEEKS fresher, and flavors beyond anything that ever came out of Battle Creek. In lieu of the cane syrup, Mom’s (or Maw-Maw’s) home-made fig preserves served equally as well as a sweetener.
    Okay, folks, that’s so easy… The only exotic thing is just possibly the cane syrup, but here’s Steen’s in Abbeville, Louisiana. That takes care of the syrup. and this place ought to take care of fig preserves. (South Louisiana had plenty of sugar cane and fig trees, so it was natural that the two would be very commonly used as sweeteners.)
    You know what? This stuff’s good cold, too, with milk and cane syrup… It’s good, though, so it wasn’t a common leftover…
    You can try this one, folks, and eat it knowing that it’s as pure a Cajun recipe as there is…

Chipotle Cornbread

1 cup coarsely ground yellow cornmeal
    1 cup all-purpose flower
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 eggs; lightly beaten
    1/2 cup milk
    6 tablespoons bacon drippings
    4 canned chipotle peppers; pureed

These are my cooking directions as the recipe didn't cover this well: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Heat bacon drippings in skillet until HOT while you mix all the other ingredients in bowl. When drippings are hot, pour about 4 tablespoons worth into cornbread mix and stir in. Let skillet heat a few more minutes until barely smoking then pour mix into skillet and let cook on burner for a minute. Remove from stove top and place in oven, baking until top is golden brown with darker brown patches. Test with a knife or toothpick for doneness. If it pulls out clean, its done.

Cornbread Supreme

Makes one 9" x 13" pan

1 (16 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 (16 oz.) can cream style corn
    16 oz. container sour cream
    4 eggs, slightly beaten
    1 cup margarine or butter, melted
    2 boxs Jiffy cornbread mix (7 1/2 oz. each)
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

1. In a large bowl, combine cornbread mix, sour cream, butter, whole kernel corn, cream style corn, and eggs. Place in a lightly greased 9" x 13" baking dish and sprinkle with 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden on top and cooked through. (My oven is old and I would say I cook it for 55-60 minutes)

Dinosaur BBQ Honey Hush Cornbread

Makes about 9 servings
    • 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 3/4 cup flour
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1 cup buttermilk
    • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
    • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1/4 cup melted butter
    • 2 tablespoons honey
    1. Set the oven at 350 degrees F, Grease an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with shortening. Pop the pan in the oven to heat while you're mixing up the corn bread.
    2. Mix the cornmeal, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
    3. Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter in another bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and give them a good stir, just until everything is moistened. Pull the hot greased pan from the oven and pour in the batter.
    4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Take the corn bread out of the oven and brush the top with honey.
    5. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before cutting into squares.
    Variation: Cheddar-Jalapeno Honey Hush Corn Bread
    Follow the recipe for Honey Hush Corn Bread, stirring 1 cup cubed extra-sharp Cheddar cheese and 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, into the batter right before pouring it into the pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes and glaze with honey in the same way.

Heart Healthy Buttermilk Corn Bread

I like corn bread, preferably a little grainy, fluffy, and slightly dry.
    1 1/2 c. yellow corn meal
    1/2 c. all purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt (optional, to taste, may use salt replacements if preferred)
    Combine dry ingredients, and form a well, then add:
    1/2 c. egg substitute
    2 Tb. olive oil
    1 1/2 c. cold buttermilk
    Mix well; batter will be stiff and slightly lumpy (if too stiff, add cold sweet milk to thin). Turn batter into a 9x9 baking pan well coated with cooking spray, and bake at 400° F for 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with choice of toppings and spreads.

Lil’s Corn Bread

1 ½ cups of self rising cornmeal
    (or add 2 tsp of Baking Powder to regular cornmeal)
    ½ cup of finely chopped onions
    ¾ cup of oil + 1 Tblspoon
    2 eggs
    1 cup of sour cream
    1 8oz can of crean-style corn

Combine all ingredients, reserving the 1 tablespoon of oil. Heat a 10 inch iron skillet at 400 degrees until hot. Pour the tablespoon of oil into the skillet and heat. Pour hot oil into corn bread batter and stir. Pour batter into skillet. Bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Make Cornbread, Not War!

A true Southern Cast Iron Cornbread Recipe with no flour and no sugar
    • Prep Time: 15 minutes
    • Cook Time: 35 minutes
    • Level of Difficulty: Easy
    • Serving Size: 9 - inch round loaf
    Ingredients
    • 4 ounces bacon, preferably Benton's
    • 2 cups cornmeal, preferably Anson Mill's Antebellum Coarse Yellow Cornmeal
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1 1/2 cups whole milk buttermilk
    • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
    Directions
    1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
    2. Put a 9-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to preheat for at least 10 minutes.
    3. Run the bacon through a meat grinder or very finely mince it.
    4. Put the bacon in a skillet large enough to hold it in one layer and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently so that it doesn’t burn, until the fat is rendered and the bits of bacon are crispy, 4 to 5 minutes.
    5. Remove the bits of bacon to a paper towel to drain, reserving the fat. You need 5 tablespoons bacon fat for this recipe.
    6. Combine the cornmeal, salt, baking soda, baking powder and bits of bacon in a medium bowl.
    7. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat and combine the remaining 4 tablespoons fat, the buttermilk and egg in a small bowl.
    8. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just to combine; do not overmix.
    9. Move the skillet from the oven to the stove, placing it over high heat.
    10. Add the reserved tablespoon of bacon fat and swirl to coat the skillet.
    11. Pour in the batter, distributing it evenly. It should sizzle.
    12. Bake the cornbread for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm from the skillet.

Meltaway Corn Bread

1/2 cup margarine
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese, grated
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1/2 to 1 cup granulated sugar, to taste
    1 (16 ounce) can cream-style corn
    1/2 cup Colby cheese, grated
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    Butter a 12 x 8-inch pan and dust with flour.
    Cream margarine and sugar together. Add eggs, creamed corn, cheeses and salt; mix well.
    Sift flour, yellow corn meal and baking powder together. Combine this with corn-cheese mixture, not over-mixing. Pour into pan. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour at 300 degrees F.

Mexican Cornbread

Ingredients:
    • 3/4 cup yellow corn meal
    • 1 1/4 cup white flour
    • 3 tsp. baking powder
    • 1 tsp. sea salt
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1/4 cup melted butter
    • 3/4 cup skim milk
    • 1 egg beaten
    • 1 cup cream style corn, liquified in a blender
    Directions:
    In a large bowl combine the corn meal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Mix the dry ingredients well with a spoon.
    Beat the egg in a bowl and add the liquified corn, milk, and melted butter.
    Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix till the flour is just moistened. Do not over mix. Pour into a greased 8 inch square glass dish and spread evenly. You can use Pam to grease the pan. It works great.
    Bake at *375 for 25 -30 minutes.
    Try this cornbread right out of the oven with some warm butter. The texture is nice and moist and not too heavy. I added the cream style corn to add a little more corn flavor. I'm betting your family will love it.

Sourdough Cornbread

1/2 c Active Sourdough Starter

2 T Margarine, Melted

1/2 cup Cornmeal

1 t Salt

1 T Sugar

1/2 cup Sour Cream or Yogurt

2 Large Eggs, Stirred

1 cup Unbleached Flour

1/2 t Cream Of Tartar

1/2 t Baking Powder

Mix ingredients in the above order, stirring only enough to blend the mixture. Pour into a buttered pan. Bake in a 375 to 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

SOURDOUGH CORN BREAD #2

Thought some of you 'ol Sourdough's would like to try my cornbread recipe. It's a super one. Keeps fairly well, and is reminiscent of campfires and hearty soup suppers.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees (listed in the original recipe as 425 degrees, but that’s too hot for our oven and burns the cornbread if we cook it that hot)

1 cup of sourdough starter

1 ½ cups of corn meal

1 ½ cups of flour

1 ½ cups of evaporated milk (or regular milk)

2 eggs, beaten

Mix together and add:

1/4 cup melted butter (or oil)

1/2 tsp. Salt

3/4 tsp. Soda

Pour batter into 10" greased frying pan (an iron skillet is best for cornbread), or pour it into two 8 segment cornbread skillets if you have them. Bake for 25-30 minutes. (Does not require proofing). Serve hot with lots of butter, honey, or preserves.

SUPER SOURDOUGH CORN BREAD

1 CUP SOURDOGH STARTER

1.5 CUPS YELLOW CORN MEAL

1.5 CUPS EVAPORATED MILK

2 EGGS, BEATEN

1 TBSP. SUGAR

1/4 CUP MELTED BUTTER

1/2 TSP. SALT

2/3 TSP. SODA

Mix the starter, corn meal, evaporated milk, eggs, and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in the melted butter, salt and soda. Turn into a 10" greased cast iron frying pan, or a cast iron cornbread skillet, and bake in a hot oven (425 to 450 degrees) for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot with butter or honey.

Sweet Honey Cornbread

Ingredients
    • 1 c milk
    • ¼ c. butter, melted
    • 1 egg, beaten
    • 1¼ c cornmeal
    • 1 c all-purpose flour
    • ¼ c sugar
    • ¼ c honey
    • 1 tbsp baking powder
    • ½ tsp salt
    • ¼ c frozen corn

Instructions

1. Preheat oven (and cast iron skillet, if using) to 400 degrees.
    2. Whisk together milk, butter and eggs in a large bowl.
    3. Add in the remaining ingredients and then stir until just combined, it will still be lumpy.
    4. Pour into a greased cast iron skillet or baking pan.
    5. Bake for 20 min or until toothpick comes out clean after being inserted into the center.
    6. Allow to cool slightly then serve.

Sweet Potato Cornbread

1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
    1 cup mashed sweet potatoes or (one15 ounce can, drained and mashed)
    3 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk
    1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup granulated sugar (optional)
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    Put 2 tablespoons of oil into a cast-iron skillet and place skillet in oven to preheat. Combine mashed sweet potatoes, eggs and milk in a large mixing bowl. Blend until smooth. Add remaining 1/3 cup oil; cornmeal; and, if desired, sugar. Stir until just combined. Pour into preheated skillet. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
    Serve warm.

The Somerset Club Corn Dodger

The Somerset Club at 42 Beacon Street on the Boston Common is an elegant private club that is a pleasure to visit. Every morning at breakfast, each table is served a basket of remarkably delicious Corn Dodgers that are an Old Boston tradition. Recently, I contacted the club manager, and he sent me the Somerset Club Corn Dodger recipe. I tried it last week, and it is like a trip to the club for breakfast only you save the airfare. This is a classic Yankee winter breakfast bread treat served warm with butter.

Yield: About one dozen

5 cups water
    2 cups corn meal
    1/4 pound butter (1 stick)
    1/2 tablespoon salt

Combine water, butter and salt and bring to a rolling boil.
    Remove from heat and add cornmeal all at once, whisking constantly.
    Whisk until a thick mixture forms.
    Spoon mixture onto greased cookie sheets.
    (A heaping tablespoon works well and results in an elliptical corn dodger about 4 to 5 inches long, 2 to 3 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick)
    Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
    Turn each Corn Dodger and cook for an additional 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.
    Remove from cookie sheet and allow to cool slightly.
    Serve warm with butter.

Yeast-raised Cornbread Recipe

4 cups white or whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 cup organic cornmeal
    1 1/2 teaspoons fine grained sea salt
    1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water (~105 degrees)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    3 tablespoons honey
    3 extra-large eggs, room temperature
    2 cups of fresh or frozen corn (if frozen defrost to room temp)
    2/3 cup chopped chives
    Cornmeal and olive oil for preparing loaf pans or muffin tins
    This recipe yields two standard loaves of cornbread OR 1 1/2 dozen standard-sized muffins. Prepare your pans by rubbing them generously with olive oil, dust with cornmeal, then tap out any extra. Set aside.
    In a medium bowl whisk together the flour cornmeal and salt. Set aside.
    In the bowl of a Kitchen-Aid type mixer, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add about 2/3 of the flour/cornmeal mixture. Now add the olive oil, honey, just TWO of the eggs, corn, chives and begin to mix with the dough hook attachment at low speed. As the dough is starting to come together mixing begin adding more of the flour/cornmeal mixture a bit at a time, letting it incorporate along the way - you might not need to use all of it. Keep adding until you achieve a dough that is tacky. It should clear the sides of the bowl but stick to the bottom of the bowl. If the dough is too wet and doesn't come off the sides of the bowl, sprinkle in some more flour just until it clears the sides. If it clears the bottom of the bowl, add a teaspoon or two of water.
    Dial up the speed a bit to medium, and keep mixing for about seven minutes. Turn the dough out onto a floured countertop, knead a few times, gather the dough into a ball and rub with a bit of olive oil. Place in a large, greased (olive oil) bowl, cover with a kitchen towl or plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about an hour.
    Once the dough has doubled, turn it out onto the countertop. To make the rolls you see in the photo up above, start by cutting the dough into thirds - three big wedges. Pat each third into a square shape and cut each into six pieces - you will end up with 18 equal size pieces. Without over-handling, shape each piece into a ball and place in the muffin tins. Let the rolls rise in a warm spot until roughly doubled - another hour. Alternately, if you want to bake two loaves, cut the dough into two equal pieces, shape and place in prepared pans. I imagine, you can also bake this dough freeform if you like.
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Just before baking whisk the remaining egg and brush on the dough, sprinkle with cornmeal. Bake the rolls for 18-20 minutes on the middle rack, or until rolls are golden. If you are baking loaves it will take significantly longer. Turn out onto cooling racks. Serve slathered with salted honey-butter.
    Makes two loaves or 1 1/2 dozen rolls.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

For a bit more brown crust, and easy release, put the cast iron pan in the oven as it preheats.

Use bacon grease to coat it instead of cooking spray.
    Swish it around, and pour out the excess, then pour in the batter.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

(By the way, did I mention that I'm a "recipe collector" and that I REALLY like to cook and bake?)

Boolit Grand Master

No one has mentioned the grind - and corn flour (Masa) can be used alone, without white flour to make corn bread. The heavier the grind of the corn the more flour you need.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    (By the way, did I mention that I'm a "recipe collector" and that I REALLY like to cook and bake?):

Oh yeah, like so many of us, so do I.

I've got a stack of recipes that I've run across and printed out.

There is, or was a site where people had reverse engineered famous restaurant recipes that had a lot of great stuff.

Another good resource is 'The Smoke Ring'.
    Its a forum that has got a bunch people who have dedicated their life to making sausage and cooking on the grill.

Be careful if you go there and post about cooking in the oven.
    They might come after you like with torches and pitch forks like the villagers did to the Frankenstein monster.

Also, don't mention liquid smoke. Using it is considered blasphemy.
    They look on it like we do 'j' word boolits.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-13-2019 at 04:31 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Man
    Which ever recipe you make, the best ones I have had have fresh jalapeno diced in it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin / Cornbread Mix
    1 egg
    1/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

blend ingredients - I use a whisk

Muffins - fill muffin cups 2/3 full .
    Cornbread - pour batter into greased 8 X 8 inch pan.

Bake 20 - 25 minutes .

This is my Mom's old family recipe
    Gary
    up it to 2 eggs, MUCH better!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber1911 View Post
    Which ever recipe you make, the best ones I have had have fresh jalapeno diced in it.
    And when ya really want to get fancy, also add shredded cheese and whole kernel corn.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Hold the flour and sugar for my cornbread, please and thank you. In fact, to put it bluntly I don't consider it real cornbread if it has either of those ingredients. Here's my favorite recipe.
    If you feel a need to add anything to it, instead of flour and sugar might I suggest chopped jalapenos, crushed red pepper, cracked peppercorns, chopped onions, and/or shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

2 cups yellow cornmeal
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    2 cups whole milk
    1 egg
    1/4 cup shortening, lard or bacon fat

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat the fat to smoking in a 10" cast iron skillet on the stovetop, while mixing the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. When the oil just starts smoking, swirl it around to coat the sides of the skillet, then pour it into the batter and mix it in well. Set the skillet back on the stove, turn off the stovetop, and pour the batter into the skillet. Pouring it into the hot skillet will create a nice crust. Put it in the oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges or slices, add real butter, and enjoy.
    Actually, this cornbread is so good, you can leave out the butter if you prefer. It is amazingly sweet, even though it is not sweetened.

Source: http://www.possumliving.com/2010/10/...-in-world.html
    Last edited by Tracy; 05-13-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Now after reading all these recipes I am hungry for some cornbread. My way is similar to Mr. Der Gebirgsjager's way except the 1part unbleached flour and 1 part whole wheat. Something that I look for when buying corn meal is to see if it is degerminated or not. It is hard for me to find cornmeal that has not been degerminated. The germ is the most nutritious part of the kernel. I have watched cardinals and mice come to my feeder and pick up a kernel of corn and bite the germ out and leave the rest. That is from my perch on the tree stand. The birds fly up to a nearby limb and hold the corn with one foot and peck out the germ. The closest observation I made was about 3 feet away . The bird would drop the corn and go down and get another piece and repeat the process. The corn without the germ is mostly carbohydrates. Sidenote: Have heard it said that you could make 3 gallons of moonshine with one bushel of shelled corn. LOl

Vendor Sponsor

TRUE Southern cornbread doesn't have flour, or sugar. The secret is using whole grain stone ground cornmeal. This is actually Chef Sean Brock's Make Cornbread Not War cast iron cornbread recipe. It is the ONLY one I use these days. BTW... Jiffy mix is LOADED with trans fats, haven't eaten it in years.

4 ounces bacon, preferably Benton’s
    2 cups cornmeal, preferably Anson Mills Antebellum Coarse Yellow Cornmeal
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon baking powder
    1½ cups whole-milk buttermilk
    1 large egg, lightly beaten

1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Put a 9-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to preheat for at least 10 minutes.

2. Run the bacon through a meat grinder or very finely mince it. Put the bacon in a skillet large enough to hold it in one layer and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently so that it doesn’t burn, until the fat is rendered and the bits of bacon are crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the bits of bacon to a paper towel to drain, reserving the fat. You need 5 tablespoons bacon fat for this recipe.

3. Combine the cornmeal, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and bits of bacon in a medium bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat and combine the remaining 4 tablespoons fat, the buttermilk, and egg in a small bowl. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just to combine; do not overmix.

4. Move the skillet from the oven to the stove, placing it over high heat. Add the reserved tablespoon of bacon fat and swirl to coat the skillet. Pour in the batter, distributing it evenly. It should sizzle.

5. Bake the cornbread for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm from the skillet.

Same recipe, different pone:

Last edited by DougGuy; 05-13-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy

I like my cornbread batter fried into johnny cakes.

Boolit Master

Never ever use a mix or put sugar in corn bread. We never measure anything, we just make it. Start with a cast iron skillet with lard or similar grease melted about 1/8 " deep pre-heated to 425. Mix white self-rising corn meal an egg and enough butter milk to make a thick batter and pour into the skillet. The batter should fill the pan about half way. Cook until the top is brown.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005377.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	241656

click to enlarge.

I always use this pan. It is greased with butter. Sorry, mzlldr, this is chili, not baked beans. Chili is a dish enjoyed by higher forms of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast