Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: WST Data for .38/.357

WST Data for .38/.357

Hello to all,

I got given a large jug of WST from a good friends father, it is still sealed.

I had a bit of a look in my current reloading manuals and very little is available for .38 spec/ .357Mag.

I was informed by my mates father that he used WST very successful for many years in his .38spec. Unable to get any data from him unfortunately, the reason for selling or giving away his guns and related paraphernalia is due to the onset of Alzheimer's.

Anyone have some good loads using WST for mainly .38 Spec for paper punching?

Mike

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Its a fast burning powder between Bullseye and Winchester 231. You may have to work up your own loads accordingly.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Boolit Master
    I had the same problem and have been sucessful in resolving it to my satisfation. I have been using the following data. first let me say that WST seams to be about like 231 and when it dout I have used that data. So far I have been using the following data in my guns with reasonable resultys:
    38 Spl. 125gr cast bullet 4.5 gr WST
    148 and 150 gr bullet 3.5 to 4 gr WST
    158 gr 3.5 to 3.8 gr WST
    I have also used it in 9mm Luger, 45 ACP and 45 Colt.
    I usr 4.5 gr and a 124 gr in the 9mm, 4.5 to 4.8 gr in the 45ACP and 6 gr with a 250 gr in the 45 Colt. All loads seam to be safe and I have fired several hundred of each in several different guns with good results

Boolit Master
    in my internet searching have not found any reliable data for 357 and WST

several loads for 38 special and some for 38 special + P loads

W231 and WST are close but data is not interchangable
    pressures are higher for WST using less

I did find a copy of Winchester free reloading catalog

Boolit Buddy
    My .38 spl load is 158 grain SWC with 3.5 grains WST. Love it.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Quote Originally Posted by truckmsl View Post
    My .38 spl load is 158 grain SWC with 3.5 grains WST. Love it.
    Mine is the same.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 63 Shiloh View Post
    Hello to all,

I got given a large jug of WST from a good friends father, it is still sealed.

I had a bit of a look in my current reloading manuals and very little is available for .38 spec/ .357Mag.

I was informed by my mates father that he used WST very successful for many years in his .38spec. Unable to get any data from him unfortunately, the reason for selling or giving away his guns and related paraphernalia is due to the onset of Alzheimer's.

Anyone have some good loads using WST for mainly .38 Spec for paper punching?

Mike
    3.5gr. works for me with a 148gr. solid WC or a 158gr. FP or SWC. Right around 750 fps or so. Real tack drivers.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester2002.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	293185

Here you are. From the 2002 Winchester loading guide.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve used the above +P data for years.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

A ww manual with wst data for the 38spl

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...hester1997.pdf

Boolit Buddy
    Among bullseye shooters, 2.7 WST under a 148 gr full wadcutter is considered "the load" in 38 Spl. At 710 fps it's not a screamer, but boy is it ever accurate. 3.3 WST with a 158 gr. SWC or LRN will give you the same velocity. WST has the same burn rate as Green Dot. I also use it in my 45 ACP guns. WST is my "go to" powder for cast bullets.
    Last edited by oldsalt444; 12-19-2021 at 03:04 PM.

Given that this thread was started over 11 years ago, I suspect the OP had his question answered and the powder either used or disposed of in the time since.
    All the recent information is useful but very late to the original question.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Given that this thread was started over 11 years ago, I suspect the OP had his question answered and the powder either used or disposed of in the time since.
    All the recent information is useful but very late to the original question.
    Yep I'm sure the op has it figured out by now.

Myself, I simply posted because in this day and age of powder shortages people are buying anything and everything. Went to a gunshow a couple weeks back and a guy had a table with 4 1# cans of ww571 sitting there for $30 a #. Tempting but having 40+ #'s of pistol powders laying around I left it for someone else. Sure enough went back by 10 minutes later and it was gone/sold.

Never hurts to have the older info around, that link I posted above has the ww571 data in it.

it's a good 45ACP powder

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Bub
    Count me among those who experimented with WST due to lack of availability of more familiar powders to me. I made it work well enough, but I don’t expect to buy it ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    it's a good 45ACP powder
    It is that. I use it for both 200 grain target loads and 230 grain full power loads. Very clean burning powder.
    A lot of the target shooters in my area prefer it over anything else due to consistency and clean burning qualities, for both 38 Special and 45ACP.
    I also use it under a 125 grain boolit with a very light charge for practice and introducing new shooters to centerfire revolvers.
    2.8 grains gives about 700fps and shoots very close to the same impact point(about 2 inches low or less at 12 yards) of a full power 158 grain boolit due to time in the barrel.
    Last edited by tazman; 12-31-2021 at 11:09 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Yep I'm sure the op has it figured out by now.

Myself, I simply posted because in this day and age of powder shortages people are buying anything and everything. Went to a gunshow a couple weeks back and a guy had a table with 4 1# cans of ww571 sitting there for $30 a #. Tempting but having 40+ #'s of pistol powders laying around I left it for someone else. Sure enough went back by 10 minutes later and it was gone/sold.

Never hurts to have the older info around, that link I posted above has the ww571 data in it.
    Yes, good data shared with friends is never out of date. JMHO-YMMV
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek