Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee's press mounted priming system

Lee's press mounted priming system

Just ordered the Lee Classic cast turret press. I have not read many good reviews of Lee's press mounted priming system.
    Would like to hear experiences and opinions of this system.

Thank you!

Boolit Master
    My Lee classic turret has the Lee safety prime and all I can say is it works fantastic.It was easy to set up.I have not had one bit of trouble with it except my small prime broke a spring and it was a easy fix. It does fail to feed the last 2 or 3 primers but I can live with that.

Boolit Bub

I recently converted from a couple of Lee Pro1000 presses to the Lee Classic Turret press with Lee Auto Drum measure and couldn't be happier!!

The safety prime system takes a bit of getting use to but once it's setup and you get a feel for the rhythm of motion it takes to use it then it works quite well. I also appreciate the fact that the fear of a mass detonation of primers is now gone. Never had one in the 20+ years I used the Pro1000s but the thought was always in the back of my mind.

I kept my primer trays from the Pro1000s and use them on the safety prime system. I drilled a hole thru the center, super glued a rubber washer to act as a spacer between the lid and tray then added a screw and nut.

I don't have to worry about the primer tray popping open and the round trays allow enough clearance for the Lee Auto Drum measure WITHOUT the need for a disk riser!! The new primer trays from Lee leave something to be desired.

Here's a pic of my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear. Thank you for the pic

I have the CCT as well with the safety prime, I read somewhere to set it up so it comes in a little from the left. I set mine up that way and haven't had many problems other than when primers get low.
    As mentioned, there is a feel to it to get the rythem down and you kinda have to hold your tongue right and not force it. It's not as hard as it sounds and works better than most people make out to be. I really like mine!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tranders View Post
    Just ordered the Lee Classic cast turret press. I have not read many good reviews of Lee's press mounted priming system.
    Would like to hear experiences and opinions of this system.

Thank you!
    I use a Lee Safety prime on my Classic Turret press and it works very well, you just have to adjust its position to get it to work properly.

Using the Lee safety prime with the indexing rod installed and a Lee Auto Disk powder measure mounted on the 4 hole turret, I can crank out up to 200 rounds/hour of 44-40 or 45 Colt ammo without breaking into a sweat once I get a rhythm going.

ukrifleman

On the Midway site it is saying I need another bracket to mount the Auto Prime to the Classic Cast Turret,but I can't find this bracket anywhere. Any help??

Tried calling Lee,but their line is busy.

The bracket needed came with the Classic Cast Turret press when I bought one. Don't know if it is still that way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    The bracket needed came with the Classic Cast Turret press when I bought one. Don't know if it is still that way.
    It either comes w/ the press or the safety prime itself. So you will have the part you need.

Once the Safety Prime is set up properly it works very well. It won't feed the last 2-3 primers reliably. This is due to the design. W/out the weight of the column of primers pushing on the last few it won't feed them reliably. I'm willing to live w/ this quirk.

Ok, great. Thank you for the help

Boolit Bub
    I use this system on my Lee Classic Turret. Works great for me. My dad used it, and then bought the same systemfor his Lee single stage press, and it works well for him also.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tranders View Post
    On the Midway site it is saying I need another bracket to mount the Auto Prime to the Classic Cast Turret,but I can't find this bracket anywhere. Any help??

Tried calling Lee,but their line is busy.
    The bracket that comes with the safety prime kit is for a Breech Lock challenger press and is held on with 2 screws.

The part you need for a turret press is part No. TP2260 and is held on by one of the bolts supporting the turret mounting. (See photos)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SDC19803.jpg   SDC19804.jpg   SDC19805.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ukrifleman View Post
    The bracket that comes with the safety prime kit is for a Breech Lock challenger press and is held on with 2 screws.

The part you need for a turret press is part No. TP2260 and is held on by one of the bolts supporting the turret mounting. (See photos)

Last I saw it comes with both brackets so it works on which ever press you have.

GD

Boolit Master
    My safety prime came with both brackets. Now my safety prime is a couple years old and came with the round tray.

Boolit Master

Though I now prime off press, the safety prime worked like a charm for years when I used it.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I got in touch with Lee and they confirmed that the press and the priming system will come with the correct bracket. Thank you all for the fantastic help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I use Lee's safety prime, while it seems a bit hookey and cheaply made, I really like. There is a bit of a learning curve, to get the "feel" of how to use it, but once you do, you'll love it. I've primed thousands of cases with it, broke a spring as TCFAN mentions, actually I broke it a couple times, it's easy to fix.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

When I had my classic cast turret, I had to put a washer under the bracket to raise the safety prime up far enough so it would feed a primer while the ram was all the way up. Did they fix that with a new bracket?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    When I had my classic cast turret, I had to put a washer under the bracket to raise the safety prime up far enough so it would feed a primer while the ram was all the way up. Did they fix that with a new bracket?
    This wasn't the case for everyone. Mine will feed almost every time w/ the ram fully raised. But if I back it off slightly it feeds every single time. I could move the washer that comes w/ it under the bracket but I never bothered. I've gotten used to the rhythm of backing off the ram and then priming.

Boolit Bub
    No issues with it at all. Prime all my pistol on the press and I've probably reloaded 25-30000 rds of 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast