Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Considering glock 19 few questions

So if I get a glock I'll completely lose the ability to shoot my 1911? That wouldn't be much of a loss, but a shame all the same!

? Not sure where that came from.
    Getting a glock will make you shoot every gun in your safe better. It's far less forgiving than many other pistols out there, and when you get good with it, anything fancy pants you got seems like space age magic.
    I've put many a 1911 guy to shame with a stock glock 9mm.
    I distinctly remember that sorry smirk as a guy next to me pulled out 2-3 custom 1911's and printed shotgun groups at 7 yards. He left real quick when he saw a kid chewing out the X ring at 25 yards with a LE trade-in glock i could barely afford with birthday money I saved up for years.
    That smirk made me feel real bad , especially when he started showing off the nice guns I couldn't afford.
    Won't forget his face until the day I die, running with his tail between his legs.

As much fun as tribalism is, let's not forget we're still just cavemen who just found a more complicated way to throw fast rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Kids are annoyingly good at things. I quit skiing for largely that reason too haha

Boolit Master
    Yea, youth is wasted on young people.

Quote Originally Posted by zubrato View Post
    ? Not sure where that came from.
    Getting a glock will make you shoot every gun in your safe better. It's far less forgiving than many other pistols out there, and when you get good with it, anything fancy pants you got seems like space age magic.
    I've put many a 1911 guy to shame with a stock glock 9mm.
    I distinctly remember that sorry smirk as a guy next to me pulled out 2-3 custom 1911's and printed shotgun groups at 7 yards. He left real quick when he saw a kid chewing out the X ring at 25 yards with a LE trade-in glock i could barely afford with birthday money I saved up for years.
    That smirk made me feel real bad , especially when he started showing off the nice guns I couldn't afford.
    Won't forget his face until the day I die, running with his tail between his legs.

As much fun as tribalism is, let's not forget we're still just cavemen who just found a more complicated way to throw fast rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds about as much fun seeing the seething Glock fanboy faces when a shooter shows up with a Hi Point, and out shoots them.

Boolit Master

You can spend a lot of money on a Glock and still not get as good of a trigger as you would get on the cheapest M1911 out there.

RIA makes mid-size and full-size M1911s in 9mm that use double-stack mags. The mid-size one is basically an Officer's Model size. I have one in .22TCM that comes with a 9mm conversion barrel. I've put a .38 SUPER barrel on it and make my brass from .223 brass, so with the 9x23 loadings, I've basically created a .38 Super Cooper from what I understand.

The CZ-75 has a nice feel though. Pretty much *anything* has a better grip feel than a Glock. I have a CZ-75D Compact and when I'm carrying a 9mm, it's usually either it or the above RIA.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    You can spend a lot of money on a Glock and still not get as good of a trigger as you would get on the cheapest M1911 out there.

RIA makes mid-size and full-size M1911s in 9mm that use double-stack mags. The mid-size one is basically an Officer's Model size. I have one in .22TCM that comes with a 9mm conversion barrel. I've put a .38 SUPER barrel on it and make my brass from .223 brass, so with the 9x23 loadings, I've basically created a .38 Super Cooper from what I understand.

The CZ-75 has a nice feel though. Pretty much *anything* has a better grip feel than a Glock. I have a CZ-75D Compact and when I'm carrying a 9mm, it's usually either it or the above RIA.

While I don't own a CZ I have to respect the long standing, out standing reputation they have. There are CZ clones with poly frames, and the grips are much more ergonomic than a Glock. Plus a person can use a safety or not. A witness price is competitive with Glock, some even less. I have been toying with buying my wife a Pavona, she hates her Glock, most unused gun in the safe. Didn't help that it broke after only ten factory rounds new. The Pavona is a double stack compact that is available in 380acp, she has some wrist issues.

I did get her a Ruger 22/45 last week, WOW! That is some out of the box accuracy, one hole groups with that itty bitty bullet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    While I don't own a CZ I have to respect the long standing, out standing reputation they have. There are CZ clones with poly frames, and the grips are much more ergonomic than a Glock. Plus a person can use a safety or not. A witness price is competitive with Glock, some even less. I have been toying with buying my wife a Pavona, she hates her Glock, most unused gun in the safe. Didn't help that it broke after only ten factory rounds new. The Pavona is a double stack compact that is available in 380acp, she has some wrist issues.

I did get her a Ruger 22/45 last week, WOW! That is some out of the box accuracy, one hole groups with that itty bitty bullet.
    I don't particularly like plastic framed firearms, but I do own a few. The CZ that I posted a photo of in the above post has a metal frame and the grips feel like rubber, not plastic. If I remember correctly, it's an alloy frame and the slide is made of steel. I wanted one that was all steel, but this one just kind of came up and the price seemed reasonable.

I forgot to ask, what is the recoil like on the 22TCM? It is one of the guns I am considering for her if I can find one with the alloy frame.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    I forgot to ask, what is the recoil like on the 22TCM? It is one of the guns I am considering for her if I can find one with the alloy frame.
    Not much recoil, but some consider it a bit loud. If you're an old fart whose hearing is gone anyway, you won't notice it being loud.

I wasn't aware that they were making one with an alloy frame...

So... Quick look at their website...

http://armscor.com/firearms/tcm-seri...ombo-22tcm-9mm
    mid-size, all steel, 17+1 rounds, 9mm/.22 TCM, 2.5 lbs empty

http://armscor.com/firearms/tcm-series/rock-ultra-cs-l1
    sub-mid-size, alluminum frame, 8 round mag, .22 TCM R, 2.81 lbs empty

So, the smaller gun with less round capacity weighs *more*???? Hmmm... That doesn't sound right...

Personally, I would stay with a model chambered in the original .22 TCM instead of the .22 TCM 9R. The .22 TCM 9R was a compromise to the design that allowed them to create conversion kits for firearms designed around the OAL of the 9x19 round.

The .22 TCM has basically the same ballistics as the 5.7x28, but it supposedly easier to reload.

Wow that cartridge is a new one to me. Nice gun although still single stack. Part of the reason I am considering glock is the weight reduction for open carry, the iconic nature of the brand and the trust I put into it that it will function. I trust my 1911 to function every time, it's been very reliable and I know it well, but I have even more faith in a glock I've never owned to be 100% reliable. Maybe this comes from hype and never owning one though.
    Wish I still had my cz75. I bought it off a housemate who bought it overseas on military base. But it was heavy. I also find double action triggers to be awkward in autos, not sure why. Probably because deep down I'm truly a 1911 guy.

Wow neat bottleneck on that tcm. Does that form down in one shot or need intermediate dies?

Wiki:

A sub-variant, the 22 TCM 9R, with a shorter, more deeply-seated bullet, is designed for use in Glock magazines limited to standard-length 9mm cartridges. Standard factory loads are 40-grain jacketed soft hollow point, 39-grain for "9R".

Does this mean glock mags in a 1911 frame or rebarreled glock to accept this cartridge?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Wow that cartridge is a new one to me. Nice gun although still single stack. Part of the reason I am considering glock is the weight reduction for open carry, the iconic nature of the brand and the trust I put into it that it will function. I trust my 1911 to function every time, it's been very reliable and I know it well, but I have even more faith in a glock I've never owned to be 100% reliable. Maybe this comes from hype and never owning one though.
    Wish I still had my cz75. I bought it off a housemate who bought it overseas on military base. But it was heavy. I also find double action triggers to be awkward in autos, not sure why. Probably because deep down I'm truly a 1911 guy.
    Well, they did make some of the CZ-75s with a safety so that you could carry it cocked-and-locked like a M1911, if you so desired.

With mine, I *could* do that, but it doesn't have a safety, so I prefer not to. If you chose to do that, you would need one of the hard kydex type holsters that would cover the trigger guard so that it could act like a safety, like with the Glocks.

Boolit Master

Wow neat bottleneck on that tcm. Does that form down in one shot or need intermediate dies?

Wiki:

A sub-variant, the 22 TCM 9R, with a shorter, more deeply-seated bullet, is designed for use in Glock magazines limited to standard-length 9mm cartridges. Standard factory loads are 40-grain jacketed soft hollow point, 39-grain for "9R".

Does this mean glock mags in a 1911 frame or rebarreled glock to accept this cartridge?
    I make my .22 TCM brass from .223 cases. Or from .300 AAC cases where the neck has split. You really need to anneal the neck to keep it from splitting when fired though. It forms down in a single die. I use the Lee dies on it.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I make my .22 TCM brass from .223 cases. Or from .300 AAC cases where the neck has split. You really need to anneal the neck to keep it from splitting when fired though. It forms down in a single die. I use the Lee dies on it.
    wow fun. I make 300bo also but it has much less step on the shoulder.

Where do you find load data?
    Last edited by Drew P; 03-01-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Boolit Master

wow fun. I make 300bo also but it has much less step on the shoulder.
    It's like the ultimate recycling...

Start with .223, shoot it until the neck splits and convert it to .300 AAC. Shoot that until the neck splits and then convert that to .22 TCM or .38 Super Cooper...

I agree. Very fun to repurpose. My friend is obsessed with the idea of making bullet jackets out of old brass cases. That's going a little far for me though lol.

Boolit Buddy
    Drew, don't be confused about Glocks. Everytime someone asks about them, a crapton of folks always chime in and bash them. You either love them or hate them and the 1911 crowd can't accept them. I really like the G19 best but use a G17 for competition. As for heavy bullets, I have used Bayou 160 grain with Titegroup and it works well. My GSSF load is a Hi-Tek coated 147gr. with 3.0 grains of Titegroup.
    Since you seem to have an open mind, either a 19 or 17 should serve your intended purpose well, but the 17 might be a better choice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
    Drew, don't be confused about Glocks. Everytime someone asks about them, a crapton of folks always chime in and bash them. You either love them or hate them and the 1911 crowd can't accept them. I really like the G19 best but use a G17 for competition. As for heavy bullets, I have used Bayou 160 grain with Titegroup and it works well. My GSSF load is a Hi-Tek coated 147gr. with 3.0 grains of Titegroup.
    Since you seem to have an open mind, either a 19 or 17 should serve your intended purpose well, but the 17 might be a better choice.
    And some of us actually own a couple and still bash them. They serve a purpose, but elegance in design or ergonomics is not one of their strong points.

Personally, I don't see a need for a Glock in 9mm. The only reason I bought some were for 10mm and a conversion that I call a .45 SUPER +P+.

Functional, but butt-ugly...

But, if you are wanting to hear good things about them, go over to GlockTalk.com and the fanboys there will be happy to share their Kool-Aid with you.

Well, We stopped in Kendale Pawn on lunch to let the wife feel up a Witness Pavona 9mm. WOW! Trigger about three pounds, almost a hair trigger, comfortable grip, 1911 grip angle. Probably hers will get in early next week in 380acp. Thirteen round + one capacity. I will be able to get rid of both her Glock, and Hi Point. The Hi Point CF380 was the only full size 380 I could find for her. If this Pavona lives up to it's reputation she will not need either.

Only drawback it only comes with one magazine, but fourteen rounds is plenty for carry. Plus she will still have her purse gun as backup.

BTW the Witness compact is about 100 or more dollars less than then a Glock. Gimme a sec, and I will research the price on GOG.

At my shop this one goes for $341. 9mm 16 round +1 capacity, 3.6 inch barrel. The 4.5 inch barrel(same gun) is only $5 more.
    Last edited by Walkingwolf; 03-01-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast