WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 35-30 conversion.

Boolit Master

35-30 conversion.

Last month I posed a question on here about having a Super 14 contender 30-30 rebored to 35-30. Well after concidering that it would cost well over a couple hundred dollers for the rebore I decided against it. I also figured since I already had a 357 Max Super 14 I could make do with it. After doing some research it looks like on a lot of cast boolits the 14" 357 Max comes pretty close to the 35 Remington. The 35-30 will probably come close to the 35 Remington also. The big advantage of the 35-30 is that cases can be made from 30-30 cases. Cases for the 357 Max are limited, I know Starline is making them now but they are expensive in comparison to buying once fired 30-30 cases. At present I have about 200 cases for my 357 Max.most of them loaded and 500, 360 Dan Wesson cases. I can load those to the same OAL as the Max so I think I'll be ok for some time.

Then there is the cost of the dies.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...ding-2-die-set

The 357 Max is indeed an excellent chambering; I have two. My favorite Contender barrel is the one made for me by Bullberry, and marked 35RemR. It is a 35 Remington with the addition of a cut for the rim of the 303 British cartridge.

Making the cases is a bit laborious, but no more so than for the 30 or 35 Herrett cartridges. They seem to last forever, which makes my supply of extra 303 British cases redundant.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post

The 357 Max is indeed an excellent chambering; I have two. My favorite Contender barrel is the one made for me by Bullberry, and marked 35RemR. It is a 35 Remington with the addition of a cut for the rim of the 303 British cartridge.

Making the cases is a bit laborious, but no more so than for the 30 or 35 Herrett cartridges. They seem to last forever, which makes my supply of extra 303 British cases redundant.
    Your right, I hadn't even thought about the dies. Probably some where around a $100 bucks. Most standard rifle dies are in the $60 plus range.

No, $200. I don't know why, but they are very expensive.

Boolit Master
    The rimmed .35 Rem is more practical.
    Chamber reamers are production items.

Dies are production items.

Use .303 brass.

The rim recess can be cut with an ordinary lathe tool.
    Last edited by EDG; 03-15-2018 at 02:32 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    $200!!!!!! I guess you must really want a 35-30 to put out over $500 not including a rifle to have changed over. No thanks.

Who's this "you" you speak of. Certainly not me.

Boolit Master
    Who's this "you" you speak of. Certainly not me.
    I guess I phrased that wrong. I should have said a guy or person must really have to have one to go to that expense to get it, and I am deffently not one of those. It sounds like "you" aren't either.

I would think you could load fine ammo for the 35-30 using .35 Rem dies. Stranger things have happened.

Boolit Master

Interesting. I have the same, except it uses 30-40 Krag.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Banner Sponsor

You could always do the 358 JDJ. Go BIG or go home $95 to rechamber, not sure what dies cost.
    Years ago I read an article about the 35 Rem in a Contender and they were having ignition problems(light primer strikes) because of the small shoulder. I don't have a 35 Rem barrel, is this a real concern? It sounds like the 35RemR would take care of that issue.

The 35RemR does indeed correct the issue, and is the reason I had it made. Some people will argue that it isn't necessary, but the problem is widespread and hundreds of people have experienced it. It was definitely an issue for me. If it only happens once, it could be when the sights are aligned on the game animal of a lifetime. In single action guns, I prefer the absolute, positive headspace provided by a rimmed cartridge.

The 35 Remington usually doesn't display this problem in lever-action rifles. That's because the extractor holds the cartridge tightly against the bolt face.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Interesting. I have the same, except it uses 30-40 Krag.
    Looks like .303 would work for me also.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.