RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Need a good machine shop to flute, cut and re-thread my bolt action barrel.

Need a good machine shop to flute, cut and re-thread my bolt action barrel.

Anybody have a good experience or know somebody they can recommend to cut and rethread a Savage bolt action barrel and do fluting? Thanks!
    BT
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Boolit Grand Master

Define "rethread"? I can barrel a rifle, and set back the threads, but I'm not set up to do fluting. Why not buy a prefluted barrel blank that has been air gauged at the gittin place?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Sorry Goodsteel, I didn't explain this enough. I have a 26" barrel and with the suppressor on it it is 33 1/2" long. too long. so, I need a shop that can at least cut the barrel down to 18 1/2" and thread concentric to the bore the 5/8" threads for the YHM suppressor. Was thinking about having that barrel fluted as well, but having second thoughts as to how much weight I would save as to how much barrel whip and deflection I will pick up.
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltipper View Post
    Sorry Goodsteel, I didn't explain this enough. I have a 26" barrel and with the suppressor on it it is 33 1/2" long. too long. so, I need a shop that can at least cut the barrel down to 18 1/2" and thread concentric to the bore the 5/8" threads for the YHM suppressor. Was thinking about having that barrel fluted as well, but having second thoughts as to how much weight I would save as to how much barrel whip and deflection I will pick up.
    I do the threading jobs like that almost daily, and can flute barrels, but I don't recommend fluting unless you REALLY have to. It doesn't remove much weight, takes a whole day to do, and costs quite a bit. As Goodsteel mentioned, you're better off buying a already fluted barrel blank.

-Nobade

I have been doing the research and have decided to not do the fluting. I need someone to cut this barrel and rethread for my suppressor. Anyone want the job?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltipper View Post
    I have been doing the research and have decided to not do the fluting. I need someone to cut this barrel and rethread for my suppressor. Anyone want the job?
    PM inbound.

-Nobade

Boolit Grand Master

Good on ya Nobade. I'm covered over.

Boolit Master
    barrel fluting looks cool, but i bet it's a pain in the backside to do. i was looking at a friends Marlin 308MX the other day and noticed that the breech bolt had be fluted, i guess they did that make it lighter, or less drag on the action.

Boolit Grand Master

The new marlins flute the bolt to reduce drag. This allows them to leave a much rougher finish and still be able to cycle the action with some semblance of smooth action.
    Every part if the process has been changed so they can crank those babies out like TP. I just reworked one awhile ago for a customer. The wood to metal fit on the tang was about 1/8" proud on the righ side, and flush on the left.
    All I can say is be carful when buying a Remington lever gun.