Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michigan lifts firearm deer restrictions....a little.

Boolit Master

Only thing this changes for me is that my little girl.shoots the 94- 44 better than the 20 guage slug gun. That and the price of a Ruger 10/44 I was locked into some serious haggeling over with a buddy just went up in value; as far as he's concerned anyhow, and the value of my trade goods went down by the same %

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I wonder if cutting down a 45-70 case to 1.79" as Djones suggested would be considered legal in MI.
    I guess it would. The rules specify limitations based upon case length. No mention is made to rifle type or chamber dimensions so as long as your wildcat case meets the measurements you should be OK. Legally they would have nothing to ding you with.

Of course, I'm no expert. That's just my guess.
    ~Charlie U.

Boolit Grand Master
    Those Ruger 44 Mag autoloaders can be a little ammo-sensitive. One of the later leverguns (Model 96/44, now out of print) or bolt rifles (77/44, still made or recently dropped) is likely a better expenditure, and both use a detachable spool magazine like the 10/22s. My own rifle that would work in this venue is a RiceChester Model 92 in 44 Mag, and it's a dandy. Miroku makes NICE repros.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Hornady FTX case, is shorter than standard. Just trim more work up load. DNR might balk, but what the hey... their rules. Michigan is following Ohio's lead on this. A 357 magnum is enough, 357 maximum, better.

45-70 handgun http://www.gunauction.com/buy/805227...45-70-revolver
    Last edited by wallenba; 09-13-2014 at 11:11 PM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master

Nice to see all the MI boys reporting in when it isn't bad news!!! Hey y'all how about a chili cook in and shoot some time? Also have lots of garden toddies still to give away and always looking for a.new shooting hunting casting partner.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie U. View Post
    My interest in the 460S&W has nothing to do with some misconception of whitetail toughness.

The rule changes that allow us the limited use of rifles has the potential for something that will have a flatter trajectory and greater range than shotguns. Sure, I could use a lever gun like your Marlin in .357, .41mag, and 44mag. However, those calibers don't offer me any greater reach than my 12guage slug gun using sabots.

If you are happy with the .41mag then God bless you, enjoy the hunt. I am interested in finding the flattest shooting caliber possible within the goofy limitations they have imposed on us. That's why I opened the thread asking about the 460S&W....it's the most rifle-like pistol caliber I know of.

Sorry, I should have explained that in my opening post.
    I'm considering getting one of the Rossi 92's and having a 357 maximum reamer passed through it. Should shoot pretty flat.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    I'm considering getting one of the Rossi 92's and having a 357 maximum reamer passed through it. Should shoot pretty flat.
    Will the 357 max cycle with or without modifications?
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Buddy Blackhawk Convertable's Avatar
    Essentially, what you did was turn the 45-70 into a 45-65 case. Well done!

In Remembrance

This might be what you want. try this link to the 45-60 wcf
    http://www.loaddata.com/articles/PDF...0%20pearce.pdf
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Djones View Post
    Will the 357 max cycle with or without modifications?
    I think he had to do a little tweaking, but I don't think it was too bad.

I'll likely keep plugging em with my muzzel loader, but I do have a pristine mod94 16" trapper in .45lc in the safe. Might be time to get it out and blow the stink out of it.

Boolit Master

It must Suck to have to put up with idiotic laws made from uninformed whoevers. IMHO you are settling way less than what should have been. 12 gauge Sabots are better IMHO and guess what they ricochet better than lots of real rifle calibers.

DO not settle from the supposed authorities who know nothing.

Boolit Buddy

Yeah, idiots are why we have no dove season as well.

Banned

oh we have one.
    all the doves have long since left by the time it opens,, but we have a season.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think Jesse Ocumpaugh (JES Reboring) has a 405 JES. Its basically, IIRC, a 38-55 with little taper and takes a .410" bullet. Otherwise, the 450 bushmaster would work well for you.

Boolit Master
    Rossi M92 in 454Casull. Mine launches a 312gr cast at 1950 and if you wanted to drop weight a little to about 250gr you should be able to hit 2200. That should give you a little more range than a shotgun without any custom work.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie U. View Post
    My interest in the 460S&W has nothing to do with some misconception of whitetail toughness.

The rule changes that allow us the limited use of rifles has the potential for something that will have a flatter trajectory and greater range than shotguns. Sure, I could use a lever gun like your Marlin in .357, .41mag, and 44mag. However, those calibers don't offer me any greater reach than my 12guage slug gun using sabots.

If you are happy with the .41mag then God bless you, enjoy the hunt. I am interested in finding the flattest shooting caliber possible within the goofy limitations they have imposed on us. That's why I opened the thread asking about the 460S&W....it's the most rifle-like pistol caliber I know of.

Sorry, I should have explained that in my opening post.
    What are the potential shot distances you are looking at in your hunt area? Also, have you looked at the Ruger 77/44 bolt guns? I realize they're not the caliber you're talking about but the 44 can be a pretty flat shooter with 180/200 gr projectiles which are plenty for deer.

Boolit Buddy

A potential downside of the 77/44 bolt gun is the max oal in the rotary magazine. A friend mentioned that to me when I was looking at them. Not a deal killer for everybody but it was for me for now.
    I think the Rossi Circuit Judge in .44 mag looks like a hoot, sorry if I mentioned that earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    What are the potential shot distances you are looking at in your hunt area? Also, have you looked at the Ruger 77/44 bolt guns? I realize they're not the caliber you're talking about but the 44 can be a pretty flat shooter with 180/200 gr projectiles which are plenty for deer.
    I hunt from stands and blinds. Usually overlooking fields and lanes along woodlots. Shots in excess of 200 yards can present themselves. My primary deer getter is a H&R Ultra Slug. With sabots I can reach them out to 150 yards with utter confidence. For kicks I also carry a Super Redhawk 480Ruger so if something inside of 60 yards presents itself I switch to the handgun. Usually get one or two each season that way.

Yes, I like the 77/44 and was recently drooling over a 77/357 at a gun shop. They are nice guns, but lack the reach I would like to have out of a rifle.

Rockrat,
    The 450 Bushmaster was not something I was familiar with till now.....thanks for the suggestion. Always wanted to try an AR rifle so that might be a good option.
    ~Charlie U.

Boolit Buddy

I see no reason you can't use 44 mag out to at least 150 in a rifle, but I run with a pretty adventuresome crowd.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast