Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast Bullet Coating with Epoxy Paint

Boolit Mold

Cast Bullet Coating with Epoxy Paint

Cast Bullet Coating with Epoxy Paint, has any one tried coating their cast bullets with epoxy paint, are there any pros ang cons regarding the coating?

Cast Boolits Owner

In my experience, epoxy paint is very ridgid / unflexable when dry. I would believe that when the boolit is deformed in the firing process that the epoxy paint would just crack / flake off but I may be wrong....

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Depends on what is embedded with epoxy itself, i.e., colorant. Some work better than others. Need to play with the "lube" like any other. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

I would avoid it.
    Have you ever tried to sand epoxy paint?
    It drags heavily. You have to change sheets constantly.
    The casting goes down the bore, metal to paint contact. Then there is heat and pressure following.
    It sounds like a mess about to be made to me.
    They used to seal the case to bullet seam with butyrate dope. A very small amount. The dope is nitrocellulose. It burns up with the flame front.
    It sealed the case, burned clean.
    I might avoid epoxy paint to coat the casting.

Boolit Mold

re epoxy paint coating.

here in the philippines there are alot of colored bullet heads they call it teflon coated, but I think it is not teflon but only epoxy paint because it is very hard to scratch by the nails, the thing I noticed , becaused I tried shooting one that has been coated versus the none coated one, I noticed when I cleaned my barrel, my barrel shows no lead deposits compared to the none coated bullet head which shows a lot of lead deposits.

Hope any one could give their insights regarding my findings.. thank you!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelfrancis79 View Post
    has any one tried coating their cast bullets with epoxy paint?
    What would be the purpose for said coating?
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

epoxy

The epoxy used on fishing rods when wrapping guides on with thread is flexible. The rod bends, the epoxy bends.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

welcome to the board first,

Now, I would love to see some pictures, do any of the suppliers have web sites?
    can you get pictures yourself?
    I am open to the idea, theory would be the same as jpw or liquid alox I suppose, not a subscriber to the "not invented here, can't possibly work" here.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Banned

it seems[to me] it would be pretty hard to control the thickness.
    i am thinking he is seeing moly or boron nitride coatings. or even the ny-clad stuff that was banned here.

Boolit Mold

the purpose ...

the purpose is that you have a cleaner barrel to improve accuracy, also I noticed that the barrel is more easier to clean, the coatings on the bullet is localy made, one coat only is applied as I inspect the bullet head and so the thickness has a very minimal change. Today I tried it my self with some epoxy paint and got a desame result with the finished coat... I have to range test the material if I can get a similar result. I also think epoxy paint is elastic..
    Last edited by michaelfrancis79; 01-13-2009 at 08:13 PM.

I read this thread earlier and it got me thinking about Gunkote or Durakote for cast boolit coatings. It's sprayed on and dries very thin. Might get similar results as the old Nyclad ammo. It'd be interesting anyway.
    Μολών Λaβέ!

"Since you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of
    freedom - I'll go from you in peace...Enjoy licking the hands that feed you. May your chains sit lightly
    upon you, and may posterity forget that I was your countryman." - Samuel Adams

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelfrancis79 View Post
    has any one tried coating their cast bullets with epoxy paint?

What would be the purpose for said coating?
    CM

Same question. Why would you want a coating?? Why not just use a jacketed bullet??
    What is the purpose?

Shiloh

Boolit Mold

the purpose

I noticed while shooting with lead cast bullets, the are lead deposites on the grooves on your barrel after shooting a couple of rounds, in my opinion coating it will reduce the lead deposites on the grooves on your barrel... so thats the main purpose... that why I also need insights regarding the issue. and besides jacketed bullets cost more than cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    Welcome, if you could post a picture it might help. These boolits that are mode locally, are they loaded or do you load them?

anachronism
    If you're getting leading, you probably have a bullet size issue. This should be corrected first.

Boolit Mold

I load them

I load them

Boolit Master

That sounds like either a sizing or alloy.
    Instead of lead in the grooves, you might end up with epoxy. Harder to remove.
    You need to slug the bore, then add .001, or .002, depending on how it behaves with .001.
    I pan lube, run .001 over bore, and get no leading. I push them pretty hot also.
    If it don't fit right, you will get skidding. Once a trail is left, more is deposited.
    In the beginning, I used to fire a full round of jacketeds when I was wrapping up. Once I found my size, I didn't need to.

Boolit Master
    It would depend on the texture and strength of the cured epoxy. It might be a good way to get those extra few thousanths that we sometimes need. I am pretty sure that you will not get a clean release on exit so a complete adherence all the way to the target will be needed. Woudl you be able to apply it as a dip to leave the lead tip exposed?
    Good luck and have a plan to remove the residue from your failures from the bore and don't get discouraged. New lands are discovered by those who sail out of sight of land.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by michaelfrancis79 View Post
    I noticed while shooting with lead cast bullets, the are lead deposites on the grooves on your barrel after shooting a couple of rounds, in my opinion coating it will reduce the lead deposites on the grooves on your barrel... so thats the main purpose... that why I also need insights regarding the issue. and besides jacketed bullets cost more than cast bullets.
    You have a size issue and possibly an alloy issue. I would also note that the color (pigment) in paint is often made of really abrasive minerals. Dutch Boy used to make some really fine paints using a mineral near me that was known for it's abrasive quality also.

Sounds to me like the epoxy paint might be solving your boolit fit issue more that acting as a lube or jacket.

Nyclad Question

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it seems[to me] it would be pretty hard to control the thickness.
    i am thinking he is seeing moly or boron nitride coatings. or even the ny-clad stuff that was banned here.
    rfr,
    What is in your memory banks about these old Nyclad bullets?
    I found a supply(from 80s?) of them the other day I had evidently decided against loading.
    Now I'm not sure why I decided that?
    CRS is a crippling disease!
    Any information?
    Thanks.
    PS Still banned? Thought I read something about Federal selling something called nyclad.
    ??
    Last edited by kywoodwrkr; 12-03-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Last minute thought surge!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast