MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone own A Norinco JW-15?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I spoke to my friend at Western Firearms here and he said he probably would have one in stock and could order them in, but was not sure about exporting them because they were a firearm part.

He said that Norincos were about to be marketed in America under the Taurus brand. He was not sure if they were to be still produced in China or were to be made in South America. Check with the Taurus distributors. Good luck.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold
    I have a JW 15 and am interested in the mods you have done. I also find my safety to be very stiff but the rifle is extremly accurate. I believe Boyds also made, or maybe still does make, stocks for them.

I also have a Poly Tech M14 that I love and it just keeps on shooting. The metal finish is OK but the wood leaves something to be desired. The serial number is only etched into the receiver with an electric engraving pin. I heard an interesting story as to why. It was told to me that the Chinese first produced these to arm the insurgents in the Phillipines with no serial numbers. When it appeared that there would not be a large uprising they sold them on the American sporting market.
    Last edited by psj12; 09-20-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by psj12 View Post
    I have a JW 15 and am interested in the mods you have done. I also find my safety to be very stiff but the rifle is extremly accurate. I believe Boyds als made, or maybe still does make, stocks for them.

I also have a Poly Tech M14 that I love and it just keeps on shooting. The metal finish is OK but the wood leaves something to be desired. The serial number is only etched into the receiver with an electric engraving pin. I heard an interesting story as to why. It told to me that the Chinese first produced these to arm the insurgents in the Phillipines with no serial numbers. When it appeared that there would not be a large uprising they sold them on the American sporting market.
    If it is any consolation, the BRNO which the JW15 is a clone of also had an impossibly stiff safety. I have had a model 2 BRNO since since 1980 or thereabouts and the safety is still as stiff as an old man in winter.

If you were going to equip Phillipino soldiers with a Chinese weapon, I would have thought that the M14 clone would have been a poor choice as they are invariably smallish people. AK47 would be the way to go.

I could never get the necessary expendible together when they were legal and on sale here.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I really like my JW 15, it was so so on the accuracy, nothing under an inch @ 50yds until my Buddy told me to try some of his CCI mini Mags. They don't usually group worth a #@% in anything I have but I tried them anyway. They shoot 3/8th of an inch all day long. Will wonders never cease? LOL. A new and nice stock is in it's future. If I ever find another I will buy it also. What I really want is the 22 mag version, the JW23 I believe.

Steve E............
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
    They do. I've owned several JW-15 rifles and all shot quite accurately. They are NOT a CZ or BRNO but they aren't priced like them either. I also purchased several additional Chinese magazines for use in my BRNO and CZ .22 rifles. They required a small amount of file work but work as well as factory mags.
    Do you (or anyone) know of a source of the Norinco mags? J&G Sales is long out.
    FWIW; AFAIK; IMHO; YMMV; yadda, yadda, yadda.

Regards, Ed Mann edlmann@embarqmail.com

Always remember this: "The wind may blow in many directions, but only God can make a tree."

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1862.png

Boolit Master
    The absurdity of some things. Most things purchased here are imported from China but no Chinese firearms..... makes not one bit of sense.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Did you try Taurus? They are being advertised here with a Puma logo attached (beside the Norinco).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Red River Rick. I hope the quality of the knock off m-14`s is better than the 2 I bought about 12 years ago or so. The quality and fit and finish were about on a par with a cinder block. About that same time an article was published about how these rifles were dangerous after only firing 100 rounds due to little or no heat treating the actions. Even the clips were pitiful, came with 3 I believe 20 rounders. I put them in a gun shop on commision and sold both the next day to a guy that actually knew about them and still wanted them. The only Norinco rifle that I now own is the copy of a German M-98 .22 training rifle. I`d like another clip for it, but can`t find any. Robert
    The quality of the Norinco M305 is very much better than reported by those who tried the early import polytech M-14 clones. I have 2 of the later version M-14 Norinco clones and they are durable and reliable. With Norinco products quality depends on the factory they are manufactured in. Norinco has possibly fifteen or twenty factories manufacturing various firearms. Some of their guns are great, some do not function that well.

I bought an early JW15 in the 1980s. The stock inletting was horrendous and the bolt holding the action to the stock put a gentle bend in the barrel as the stock bolt was tightened. Bedding with JB Weld (mixed with powdered glass wool) and green fibreglas release agent on the action and barrel trued up the bedding. The gun now holds under an inch at 50 metres with subsonic (target) ammo. It does not like any ammo that goes over the speed of sound and groups will open up. Later Norinco 22 rifles have not had that issue.

Marstar in Canada has magazines, as does Lever arms. Thanks to Mr. CLinton and the trade agreement he set up with China some chinese made firearms can not be imported into the U.S. I don't know if this applies to magazines for 22 rimfire. How could you guys elect putz's like Clinton and Obama? Mind you Canada had Chretien and Trudeau who were far worse....

I have at least 5 of the JW15 military trainer models, a browning semi auto clone, a couple of heavy barrel JW15s, and a couple of M-97 trench gun clones. All work well. Some have small faults that are easily put right. All have cost me very little.

Oh did I mention the Norinco SKS rifles - some are right nasty but the majority are the same fit finish and function as the Russian SKS rifles, and of the numerous SKS rifles there were a significant number that would group surplus chinese ammo under 1.5 inches at 100 metres. The Norinco ammo was marked "non Corrosive" - that was a lie, and it was also loaded so hot that the recoil from the bolt slamming back would destroy a scope in between 20 and 75 shots. The Bushnell warrantee works BTW.

Chezk ammo is still corrosive but is not loaded as hot.

Bottom line the Norinco 22 rimfire rifles are great value for the money. Some need a little tinkering and cleaning in order to get to shoot accurately. In fact ever norinco I ever purchased needed a thorough cleaning to get rid of the cosmoline that sometimes had bits of metal from the machined castings it it.

In fact the only gun I did not like was the Norinco NP-18, a copy of a FEG, which was a copy of the browning hi power. It was built for small hands and skinny fingers.

Maybe they meant non corrosive in that it wouldn't rot the brass around the primer before you shot it, 'Hah! you think this stuff is corrosive, you should have seen the old stuff!' Unless it is a well known brand I treat it as all corrosive.

I only have one Norinco now, a 1911 in 9mm, great gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Maybe they meant non corrosive in that it wouldn't rot the brass around the primer before you shot it, 'Hah! you think this stuff is corrosive, you should have seen the old stuff!' Unless it is a well known brand I treat it as all corrosive.

I only have one Norinco now, a 1911 in 9mm, great gun.
    Their "non corrosive" ammo certainly turned the bolt of my AKS56 a very nice fuzzy brown within about 24 hours. It was steel case ammo as well - and loaded to the nines putting out a 123 grain bullet at 2610 fps over the chronograph. A scope that lasted 50 shots was doing well. The chronograph and the slam bang of the action in my SKS told me the ammo was just a bit high pressure.
    BUt it was very accurate ammo - shooting into under an inch at 100 metres until the lens elements in the scope shook loose.

I used to have a Russian SKS, real old beater, but shot like a dream. I forgot to clean it once and the gas piston siezed up. No amount of soaking would shift it, so I got a drift and progressively larger hammers. My smallest sledge hammer shifted it (after about 5 blows). I didn't think it would ver work again, but after I de rusted it all and oiled it, it was good to go! One tough rifle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12