Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Happy with the results today!!

Boolit Master

Happy with the results today!!

I have watched the videos of guys bulk baking and no sticking problems.

I tried couple different ways and never really got what I liked. Part is me being picky, but most is simply not what i would accept.

I watched another video last week and with all I have been casting I really need to coat faster than I currextly do standing each bullet like a line of soldiers.

So, I stopped in a store that had some mesh baskets recomended by one of the videos. I robbed the wifes drawer of a couple more take out plastic containers amd took about 100 culls from todays casting and shake n baked them all at once. Using the basket, 300 degrees and 15 minutes time.

They came out and I dumped them into a bucket of water basket and bullets. NOTHING STUCK!!

I took a 40 bullet and pounded it into a nickle sized green disc. NOTHING CAME OFF!
    I took a second 40 bullet and pounded that into a cube again nothing chipped or flaked off!! WINNER WINNER!!

So I grabbed about 150 175g 40 bullets and shake n baked them same methods. Another good batch!

Last batch was about 250 ish 145g 40’s. I also changed up colors to grape. Same methods. SAME RESULTS!

I am very happy!! This will save me allot of time on these bulk bullet processes. Ill still powder coat with my stand up method as it does make a “prettier” bullet these look real good. Im sure there will be no difference in preformance. But looks are important sometimes too.

This was very first batch just dumped in the mesh basket and baked. (These are cull bullets. They where headed back to the pot)

This was second batch the 175g 40’s. I miss takenly dumped second in with the first that where CULLS.

This last batch is the 145g 40’s coated in grape.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 07-05-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    cool !!
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Nothing stuck? I'll have to try dropping my basket in water next time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Nothing stuck? I'll have to try dropping my basket in water next time.
    Part of the reason why nothing stuck is because he is baking at a lower temperature.

Boolit Master

Your not the first to mention 300*. I might have to try that because my cheap dinking toaster oven struggles over 350*. 20 bucks for thing and i will use it till it melts.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Your not the first to mention 300*. I might have to try that because my cheap dinking toaster oven struggles over 350*. 20 bucks for thing and i will use it till it melts.
    I powder coat at 275 for ~15 minutes.

Boolit Man
    The mesh baskets work good. You have to figure out how much powder to shake off. It's always more shaking than you think. Once you are shaking enough excess powder off, the water drop at the end will make them more or less not stick to each other, with just a few in the bin that will come apart easily by hand or a light tap.

We still cook at 400-425 for over 20 mins.

Boolit Master

I agree, I was concerned I would not get the desired adhesion results. But my worries where misplaced as they "test" just fine!

I have a large quantity of .314 bullets to coat tonight and looking forward to trying this again. I should be complete in three bakes so under one hour. But the old way, I would have been more like 10+ bakes and far more tedious standing each bullet up...

Yes, Advil I agree, the coatings are appreciably thinner this method. Must help with them not sticking too.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 07-09-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Boolit Mold
    what/where are the baskets from and how about a shot of the entire basket?

dave

Boolit Master

Hello and welcome Dave,

My baskets are from Bed Bath and Beyond. They are drawer organizers. Grmps uses office store desk file organizer shelves.
    Id thibk most any metal mest would work as well.

Good luck!

CW

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the reply. Been lurking for awhile and thinking getting the casting equipment up and running again. the last time I was using it was many years ago and the impact plating of Moly was my lube of choice but never had great results and my hands get dirty each time I handle the rounds. This looks much cleaner after I get the more elaborate process down.

Dave

Boolit Master

I made my own to fit my toaster oven

found some mesh pizza trays at wally-world. cut them into shape and bent sides to form basket that would clear PID prob that comes in from side. Pop riveted corners of sides

they work great and can PC 17 lbs of 45 cal 200 gr bullets in less than 90 minutes
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Nice work! I’ve yet to try a mesh basket but after using 100s of sheets of non stick tin foil I just powder coated the tray for my toaster oven, now nothing sticks!

Boolit Master
    Yeah, these dumb ole polymer chemists telling us we need 400 degrees to properly achieve the molecular cross linking of the molecules and derive all the benefits the polymers have to offer. What do they know?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Nice work! I’ve yet to try a mesh basket but after using 100s of sheets of non stick tin foil I just powder coated the tray for my toaster oven, now nothing sticks!
    The mesh baskets work at 400- 425. Not expensive either