Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure

Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure

I inherited a Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure. Anyone know where I can get an up to date list of powders and what this thing throws?

ACC

Boolit Master
    You might call Lee they might send you one .
    Or if someone does not chime in with a link to one send me a PM , and I will try to make pdf of mine and send it to you.

Boolit Master
    IDK about up to date but here's the .pdf http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...e_autodisk.pdf
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 12-04-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    All charts related to the Lee Disk Powder Measures are posted here at Lee:
    https://leeprecision.com/instructions.html
    All are .pdf files that can be downloaded/printed.
    https://leeprecision.com/files/instr...D_AD_Chart.pdf
    https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/AD3398.pdf
    https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/VMD.pdf

There's a link to the Lee site at the top of every page of this forum.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    IDK about up to date but here's a the .pdf http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...e_autodisk.pdf
    Way to go.
    If your chosen powder is not on the chart drop a few charges and you should find a powder that has a similar volume per grain to use as a reference to get close enough to simplify adjusting up or down .

Boolit Master
    ACC it’s a great measure. I use it for my pistol rounds and I’ve even used it on 5.56 with a double disk kit and a riser. Heck I wouldn’t mind a second! Anyway You can everything you need off the LEE precision website! It’s all downloadable. Heck they would probably send you a hard copy if you called him up and told him you bought one and it wasn’t in the package . Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

I made this my post Before I checked out link That nyfirefighter357 posted it’s what ya are looking for. There is another single disk chart that’s available from Lee
    Last edited by poppy42; 12-04-2019 at 08:34 PM.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I have 3 of these measures and can say with complete honesty that the data sheets do not match the actual weights dropped. Best thing to do is to set it up with the powder you want to use and just start dropping charges. I recorded more than 50 drops with each cavity that I thought I would use, which was 2 of the smallest disks.

Boolit Buddy
    Or you can order the Lee Auto-Disc Adjustable powder drop, I've replaced the discs on my two Lees, makes measuring the proper amount so much easier.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012823739?pid=150005
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I have 3 of these measures and can say with complete honesty that the data sheets do not match the actual weights dropped. Best thing to do is to set it up with the powder you want to use and just start dropping charges. I recorded more than 50 drops with each cavity that I thought I would use, which was 2 of the smallest disks.
    There must be some lot to lot variance causing your issue. I have six of them permanently mounted on turrets that I use for loading 38 special, 357 mag, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 223 rifle with a variety of powders. All of mine drop either right on or within a tenth of a grain of the charts.
    That said, I use granular powders rather than flake to insure more consistent powder drops.
    I test the charge weights every time I change to a new bottle of powder and every tenth load that gets dropped for the rifle and every 25th load for the handguns.
    The Adjustable auto-disc insert works a tunnug says.

Boolit Master
    I pretty much agree I just use the data sheets as a guide I’ve never actually been able to get the right drop using just the data sheets . I’ve never had one drop over what it supposed to but they generally drop less so I found I usually have to go up at least one this whole size to get the correct measure . But using data sheets at least It gives me a place to start

Boolit Master
    I have 4 of them my favorite measure for many of the cartridges I load. Keep a log of the disk powder and charge and they are really quick to setup

tazman after checking my log I have 3 powders that I have run thru the Disk; AA#5, Silhouette and HP-38. The only one that was right on was the Silhouette in the #.34 cavity The worst was the AA#5 in the #.34 which was off by .4gr., light..

With the 3 powders listed above plus AA#2 I have been able to find a mid range load for the 115gr, 124gr, 9mm and the 185gr and 200gr 45acp.. For the 380 I was able to find one light load and one heavy load using Silhouette and AA#2 and the one load that measured for the 380 with the HP-38 didn't shoot worth a dang using a 100gr bullet. Though that powder did much better with a cast lead bullet.

The Micro Adjustable disk works fine as long as you are not trying to drop the smallest of charges. I cannot get it to drop anywhere near consistent with HP-38 when closed all the way down to it's smallest adjustment.

After using these measures and disks with all 4 of these powders when I make a label for a box of loads I will list the bullet weight and manufacture, Primer and powder. If I use the Auto Disk to measure the powder I just list the cavity used, such as AA#2. #.34 or HP-38 #.40 so when I use that up I know what I need to load again.

OK, is there a hack for this measure where you can use it by hand, with out using a press?

ACC

There used to be a manual kit for it but I haven't seen one for a long time.
    You might be able to rig something up if you take the return spring off.

kmw1954-------we don't really have any powder use in common other than maybe the HP38. I use Bullseye, Titegroup, 231, AA7, CFE Pistol, Longshot, WST, WSH, and 296. I use BLC2 for the 223.

I have one of the microdisk that throw charges smaller than the regular disks. It is useful for light loads with Titegroup.
    Last edited by tazman; 12-05-2019 at 05:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    OK, is there a hack for this measure where you can use it by hand, with out using a press?

ACC
    As tazman said, take the spring off and just actuate the lever. You could be creative and fabricate a handle.

All of mine have been converted to "Pro" with the update kit and the lever actually has two holes you could bolt a make shift handle too.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy

ACC
    if you have access to a 3d printer, I can model up a manual handle pretty easily.

I already have a 3d model for the discontinued microdisk along with models that can be configured for a specific volume throw.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    There used to be a manual kit for it but I haven't seen one for a long time.
    You might be able to rig something up if you take the return spring off.

kmw1954-------we don't really have any powder use in common other than maybe the HP38. I use Bullseye, Titegroup, 231, AA7, CFE Pistol, Longshot, WST, WSH, and 296. I use BLC2 for the 223.

I have one of the microdisk that throw charges smaller than the regular disks. It is useful for light loads with Titegroup.
    Tazman,
    I don’t know if ya know it but HP38 and win231 are the exact same powder! This is a quote from Hodgen “ they (the powders) come out of the exact same vat the only difference is the packaging “
    Win 231 is the powder I use for my Makarov and 9 mm Luger. When I couldn’t find it locally I did some checking. There was plenty of HP 38. That’s when I called Hodgdon. Funny part is when win231 is available, HP38 is cheeper! The auto disk is one of my favorite measures! I had some inconsistencies when I first upgraded my measure to the auto disc pro, but I have to run around some powder through it everything seem to level out. I guess it had a break in period. I’m still having problems with the auto disk. My loads range from about 3.5 to 5.1.Depending on the powder I use( I also use unique and titegroup.
    Last edited by poppy42; 12-05-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Damn auto correct !

ACC
    Instead of using the Auto Disk measure maybe you should look for a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. It is a drum type measure and is hand operated. They can be bought new at Titan Reloading, https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...powder-measure and at this price you can't even hardly find them used on ebay.

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...powder-measure another example.

Boolit Master
    For me the pro auto disk was a big improvement over the standard and I did the upgrade kit on my standard soon after I got my first pro.
    My standard came with the Lee 1000 I bought when the 1000 first came out it has been used a lot.
    I have the adjustable charge bar but don't use it preferring the fixed cavities that are quick to set up and can't change adjustment for the loads these measures are used on .
    I would not want this to be my only measure but it is my favorite measure for most of what I load these days.

I won't use mine with the smallest cavity disc (3-4.3) with flake type powders (unique, the dots, W231 ect) because of powder bridging which results in inaccurate powder drops. Works just fine with the next disc up (4.6-6.6) and the the larger ones. For lighter load I'll use a ball or granular type powder like tazman suggested. It's my favorite powder measure for most pistol cartridges. If yours has the pullchain linkage, get the case activated spring linkage and chuck the pullchain linkage in the garbage. If you reload a lot you'll snap the return spring every 80K-100k rounds about the same time that the nut washer ears wear through the nut sleeve if you don't have a replacement for both sitting within view of the measure. If you do, then they never seem to break. Every ten thousand rounds check the powder hopper rubber seal if yours has it for a burr. I've had that cause powder bridging also, but it likely took 100k to be an issue. Removed the burr with a utility knife and continued to use it for several years. Eventually replacing the seal when ordering parts to convert my buddies measure from the pullchain version over to case activated/spring return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast