MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please make sure of your target

Please make sure of your target

Yeah, it happens numerous times wherever we hunt. Woman taking pictures in rural area was shot and killed by hunter who thought she was a deer. Nw Arkansas but that really doesn't matter.

Guys, and gals, make sure it is a four legged animal you are shooting.

And if you dont have a clear view and shot, just wait. Better to pass up what you think is a deer than hurt or kill someone. If you can't see the entire deer, then you dont have a good shot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yes this is the one that just sticks in my head https://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4796252&page=1
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I know that's bad. And yes the hunter should make sure of his or her target. However was the person shot on public or private land? If it was public she had every right to be there. If its was private no she did not. Therefore you can't totally blame the hunter. Honestly the county or state should make a law prohibiting non hunters from just walking around during hunting season or they should be required to wear blaze orange like is required by my state while hunting or be fined. So in my opinion I can't completely blame the hunter.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I disagree. If I want to walk around the woods during hunting season I have every right and di so all the time. I use my head but I do so. That hunter is completely in the wrong, you don’t shoot what you are not sure of, period. Short of her wearing a brown fuzzy jacket and some antlers on her head that all his (assuming) fault. When Im huntin my rifle doesn’t even get pointed at something until Im DAM sure its a game animal.

What a travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Yes this is the one that just sticks in my head https://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4796252&page=1
    The man in the first article should have never separated from his eight year old son. The woman in the first post should not be in the woods where hunters are during a deer season. My son and I were sitting in our stand probably 10-14 years ago. Across a creek on someone else's property which we didn't have permission to hunt on. I had permission to be on the land I was on. She was walking between trees walking a brown dog wearing Carhart coveralls. At first glance the two of them looked like a deer. Of course I couldn't shoot, but a slob hunter as mentioned in the first post may have.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    this cuts both ways did she have on her orange ? In pa. you have to have on orange if you are in the woods during hunting season. then again I know some that shoot at anything and don't know or care what is behind the target. around here I see normal stable people turn into real idiots when deer season comes in. then revert back to normal rational people for the next 49 weeks. then the week of thanksgiving the fever starts. they shoot up the ranes at the gun clubs. buy up all the ammo in town. only good thing is brass picking is real good at the club.

Boolit Master

Some folks do not belong in the woods with a firearm. There are STILL slob hunters in the woods that take SOUND SHOTS. "I heard a sound and shot at it." What type of ETHIC do you call that?

No rifleman or hand gunner should point their weapon at something they do not intend to obliterate ON PURPOSE. There is NO ACCIDENT in that. The result of point the gun and pulling the trigger lies 110% with the shooter! Bad shoot. Now face the consequences.

Do I have a word of advice for the general public? Yes, and it is during hunting season, while you have every right to be there, it is BEST and for your own safety that you stay OUT of the woods. You won't know who is hunting there and that could mean the tragic LOSS OF YOUR LIFE.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ericandelaine1975 View Post
    Therefore you can't totally blame the hunter.
    REALLY?
    Man, I am sorry......there is NO excuse for "...mistaking her for a deer".....NONE WHATSOEVER!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I’ve hunted people and deer. Neither one can be confused for the other. Throw that sorry hunter in jail for the long haul.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    My grandfather always paints the word "Cow" on all his stock.

Boolit Master
    We like to ride horses, year round. I am an avid deer hunter also, wife not so much. When we ride during open season we only ride on the road side and not thru woods, and we wear hunters orange Evan the horses wear orange, tho I don’t believe they care that much. Hardly ever see hunters, except for in trucks pulling 4 wheelers, usually after hunt is over and toting deer. Lots of shooting, I’m happy when season opens, and happy when it closes so i can shoot more. 4 month season with archery till end of January.

So far the county hasn't filed any charges against the man. It hasn't been disclosed whether she was on public or private land, but around here, there is not a lot of public lands that allows hunting.
    TV shows an abandoned house by the road. I'm assuming she was photographing that, but we'll not probably know for sure. Don't know how far off road she was. NO, there really isn't any excuse for shooting what you can't determine identity. NONE. Wearing Orange when you aren't hunting? maybe a good idea, but NORMAL folks don't. Heck there are HUNTERS that don't wear orange knowing there are other guys with guns in the woods.

Just be safe and KNOW your target. In our current climate, you will probably be in jail for manslaughter otherwise.

Boolit Master

you pull the trigger, you are responsible for where the bullet goes. it is that simple. if a person is not smart enough to tell a person from an animal, they have no business in the woods with a gun.

Boolit Master

A lot of nitwits out there and too many have guns. I've been shot at - on posted, private property - by a hunter who came in "over the fence." Fortunately (for me), his marksmanship wasn't any better than his reading skills. During shotgun season last year, we had a guy wander out of the timber behind the berms on our club range; said he had no idea he was on private property...even though there's a county highway, a flowing creek, and, at least, two fences (one posted "Firing Range Boundary. Do Not Cross" every 50 feet) between the range and the public hunting area 3/4 mile down the road. Earlier this fall, I went out with one of the wife's cousins to help him clear a couple deer blinds off a piece of family property adjacent to another state hunting area. Land has been in family for well over 100 years, NEVER opened to outsiders, and the half-mile lane down to the untillable bottomland along Apple River is gated and posted. Like I said, too many nitwits...

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    this cuts both ways did she have on her orange ? In pa. you have to have on orange if you are in the woods during hunting season. then again I know some that shoot at anything and don't know or care what is behind the target. around here I see normal stable people turn into real idiots when deer season comes in. then revert back to normal rational people for the next 49 weeks. then the week of thanksgiving the fever starts. they shoot up the ranes at the gun clubs. buy up all the ammo in town. only good thing is brass picking is real good at the club.
    +1 on the one weekend hunters. some years I do.nt go out on opening weekend on my own place

Boolit Master
    We here in Ma had a similar incident,woman walking her dogs was shot by a hunter who was a state trooper. Sorry folks I agree with the can't identify target don't take the shot. Also most common folk are unaware about wearing hunter orange while on the woods during deer season or when deer season starts or stops

When you fire a weapon, you are entirely responsible for the consequences of the firing.

Shooting something and claiming you thought it was a game animal is inexcusable.
    My sig line refers to conquering challenges in life. NOT the discharge of weapons.

Boolit Master

I have also heard more than one guy say I got off a sound shot most left me mad

Banned
    Knowing what is behind your target is also very important.

Many use loads and boolits that will pass through the target and "go in its merry way" and occasionally (I'm not saying any of you would) they miss the target,

Boolit Grand Master
    once you pull the trigger you own the out come
    there is no excuse for not knowing what you are shooting at
    period
    just because someone is a police officer does not make them a hunter
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast