Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: WWII bore cleaner

Boolit Master

WWII bore cleaner

An old friend who was in WWII gave me a couple of small 2-ounce cans of bore cleaner. Cans are in very good condition. No rust. Specs on the can: RIXS-205 (REV. 1)P.O. NO. (28-024) 44-40700.2.

I haven't opened either can. Is this good stuff? Any precautions need to be taken other than what is printed on the can? 'Tuck

It's made for cleaning rifles after the use of "corrosive" primers, which means just about everything they used in World War II, except M1 Carbine ammunition, which was never loaded in the U.S. with corrosive primers. It's for removing the potassium chloride, which is hygroscopic, from the firearm. The only precaution is to not drink the stuff, since it's highly poisonous. Also, like everything else associated with shooting, wash your hands after use.

I've got a whole case of the stuff that I reserve for cleaning after shooting my Mausers with the Turkish surplus ammunition that was sold to me as "non-corrosive", but really is.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 09-16-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Correct brain fade...

Boolit Master

Thanks, ReloaderFred. Any information helps. Does this stuff work to any degree on lead or j-word fouling? 'Tuck

Boolit Buddy

GI Bore Cleaner, oval cans

I have some of that GI bore cleaner, mine is in small oval tin cans with a screw cap in the center. I bought a case of it from the old Barnicle Warf Surplus Company many years ago. The stuff started to eat thru the cans. So I opened each can and poured it into a glass jar with a screw lid.
    So i f you guys have any of that old bore cleaner, Keep a close eye on it !! Seems to eventually eat up the solder seams in the cans !!
    I would imagine that will clean out lead fouling...... "Papa Jack "

Boolit Master

Thanks Papa Jack. 'Tuck

Boolit Master
    Only precaution I can think of when using the stuff is to hold your nose. It works great but is powerfully stinky.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Only precaution I can think of when using the stuff is to hold your nose. It works great but is powerfully stinky.
    Amen...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    It's for removing the mercuric salts from the firearm.
    One small point: the primer residue from corrosive-primed USGI ammo is potassium chloride, and does not contain mercury in any way, shape or form. The U.S. Army stopped using mercuric primers back when the .30 U.S. Army cartridge (.30-40 Krag) was the issue item.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

nicholst55,

Oops, my mistake. I'll correct the post. Thanks, and I knew better, too.

Fred

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I do know while on punishment duty myself and few other knuckle heads were cleaning M-14's using a bucket of solvent. The weapons had been exposed to salt water. I told the sarge that I was from Louisiana and all they needed was soap and fresh water. He told me that I was a wise so and so and to use the bucket of cleaner. One of my fellow idots lit up a smoke and drop it into the spillage around us. The entire area was in a hot and high blaze. Yes weapons and all and we all hauled butt to escape. So it is possible that it will burn. And yes we had punishment stacked on top of what was already in place.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet