Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Tumbler Question

Boolit Master
    https://youtu.be/9bXLq_9CW4c This is the one I'm building. Most if not all of the material can be scrounged for free. 12v wiper motor (Got one from my buddy who's a mechanic), 12v laptop power supply ( Found an old computer power supply someone didn't need or you can use a small 12v battery and low amp charger), an old bed frame ( I always find these being thrown away I keep 1 or 2 around) , 3 position 6 pin switch (You can use 2 single throw toggles to reverse polarity also), 2 rubber casters ( I had these kicking around), extension nut and bolt (I bought these mine needed metric thread), The feet I'll make with 4 bolts and rubber or cork stoppers if I don't have something else that will work. The barrel is 2-5 gal. bucket and I'll bought a screw on lid that fits 3.5gal to 5 gal bucket from Home Depot for $8 (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-...MMA6/203205720) All totaled I have about $12 invested in the project.
    This is the overview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MchjmCIvzlY

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    https://youtu.be/9bXLq_9CW4c This is the one I'm building. Most if not all of the material can be scrounged for free. 12v wiper motor (Got one from my buddy who's a mechanic), 12v laptop power supply ( Found an old computer power supply someone didn't need or you can use a small 12v battery and low amp charger), an old bed frame ( I always find these being thrown away I keep 1 or 2 around) , 3 position 6 pin switch (You can use 2 single throw toggles to reverse polarity also), 2 rubber casters ( I had these kicking around), extension nut and bolt (I bought these mine needed metric thread), The feet I'll make with 4 bolts and rubber or cork stoppers if I don't have something else that will work. The barrel is 2-5 gal. bucket and I'll bought a screw on lid that fits 3.5gal to 5 gal bucket from Home Depot for $8 (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-...MMA6/203205720) All totaled I have about $12 invested in the project.
    This is the overview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MchjmCIvzlY
    You will find quickly that the 1A-2A power supply you have won't have fun running the motor because the motor draws more current than the supply can put out.

This guy uses a 5 amp laptop power supply that works fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXLq_9CW4c

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Windshield wiper motor would require a hefty 12VDC power supply or a battery. Consider the cost of the battery or the power supply or battery and battery charger and its no real cost savings.

One needs to consider this direct drive option, yes. I believe one needs to find a frequency drive motor that one can adjust the rpm to suit the need and the tumbler load.

Yes, this type of motor is more costly. This type of design however will eliminate some of the more costly assemblies needed with other designs.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    This guy uses a 5 amp laptop power supply that works fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXLq_9CW4c
    Never seen a 5A laptop power supply. Most are around 2A-2.4A. At any rate not the best supply for the windshield motor in my opinion. Switching supplies generally work better with a constant load.

Banned
    Looked at the video and I guess its ok. Looking to make one myself that will handle a 5 gal bucket full of 308's with SS pins. The windshield motor will probably be ok provided it isn't loaded too heavy and the duty cycle is below 100% since it wasn't designed to run the load it is being used for. In other words its easier to run the wipers on a Toyota than it probably will be to run the bucket full of brass, pins, and water. Myself I will opt for a decent motor up to the task. Just my opinion.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TWC941 View Post
    already ordered it.... any suggestions on actually making it work out or am I better off just paying the return shipping and getting a different one?
    Just sell it on eBay.

Find a free or nearly free treadmill on Craigslist. Use that at your power source it will be set up to turn at the speeds you desire.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/spo/6021191318.html. 50 bucks.
    Last edited by DanishM1Garand; 02-27-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Link added.

I had started down the road of pulleys, jackshafts and pillow blocks, when I set out to build one.

As luck would have it, I found a suitable gear motor for less that the bearings would have cost before I went to work on it. I used 2 100lb 12.7 gallon chlorine buckets (any pool guy will give them to you) they are stronger than your normal 5 gallon bucket and hold a lot more. One is mounted to a case plate permanently and the one with agitators in it just slides in and out of it.

Boolit Master
    You might check the local scrap yard , I have picked up some heavy duty electric motors and gearboxes for a few bucks at times that they got from the local poultry plant , check the lead price wile your their .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I had started down the road of pulleys, jackshafts and pillow blocks, when I set out to build one.

As luck would have it, I found a suitable gear motor for less that the bearings would have cost before I went to work on it. I used 2 100lb 12.7 gallon chlorine buckets (any pool guy will give them to you) they are stronger than your normal 5 gallon bucket and hold a lot more. One is mounted to a case plate permanently and the one with agitators in it just slides in and out of it.

I've put together a lot of stuff over the years so I will throw my two cents in here. The only decent, smart, and sensible way to build one of these tumblers is shown in the bottom picture.

By the time you buy pulleys, belts, shafts, and all the assorted BS you could have a motor and a setup like this one. There is no guess work because its a jmorris design. Make it like shown and you will have something that will last a lifetime.

So, get your calculator out and start adding up all the pulleys, shafts, bearings and stuff you will need to put one of these together and you will be surprised that your probably 90% toward buying a motor for a direct drive setup. This is the best in simplicity and functionality that you will ever find.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DanishM1Garand View Post
    Just sell it on eBay.

Find a free or nearly free treadmill on Craigslist. Use that at your power source it will be set up to turn at the speeds you desire.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/spo/6021191318.html. 50 bucks.
    I went the with a free treadmill; came with power switch and speed control.
    another-cheap-wet-tumbler

Boolit Mold
    so... to update everyone on my status, I just send the motor back for return. What kind of motor should I be looking for now? I want to make sure I get it right this time lol :P

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TWC941 View Post
    so... to update everyone on my status, I just send the motor back for return. What kind of motor should I be looking for now? I want to make sure I get it right this time lol :P
    You need to say how big a tumbler want. A 5 gal bucket or smaller? Answer that and you can figure which direction you want to go. Want to do a lot of cases? If so then the 5 gal bucket is right for you. Less cases then scale it down.

Do you need a picture of a motor so you know what to look for? Basically you will want a motor with a mount like the picture jmorris posted.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    You need to say how big a tumbler want. A 5 gal bucket or smaller? Answer that and you can figure which direction you want to go. Want to do a lot of cases? If so then the 5 gal bucket is right for you. Less cases then scale it down.

Do you need a picture of a motor so you know what to look for? Basically you will want a motor with a mount like the picture jmorris posted.
    I want to do a 6 inch pvc pipe approximately 2 feet long. I have a metric **** ton of brass that I am in the process of decapping and after than will be cleaning.

I have been looking online and really like the idea of the treadmill like was posted above. currently browsing the wonderful world or craigslist seeing if I can find a cheap one.

Boolit Master

Here's one I built recently. Simple & straightforward.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...umbler-Project

Boolit Master
    My son built this in a couple of hours for under a $100.00. The reducer cost more than the other parts as they were all used.

Boolit Buddy
    Why do all you guys use pillow block bearings? At the speeds and loads of a tumbler, greased oak is all you need. It's like none of you have a clue as to what will work.

Like the 17,000rpm motor; obvious misprint. I have a die grinder that runs near that speed, but that's what you need to have a 1/2" grinder wheel do some work. Not a dishwasher.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm building mine out of the wifes ice cream maker(she won't notice until its summertime) and a 5g bucket and resealable lid from Home Depot. A frame welded up by me, some casters, a shaft, then some baffles in the bucket. I should have it done in a few days.

Boolit Master
    If you must use an excessively fast motor, the simplest drive is to support the drum on two rollers surfaced with rubber hose, and drive one of the rollers.

A gear motor, slow enough to keep the contents tumbling rather than held in place by centrifugal force, is by far the best thing for the job. A windshield wiper motor can be good for a smallish one, and can be powered by a car battery charger. A good way to get a free and quiet bearing which will outlast greased oak is to have a slow motor spindle connected to the bottom or lid of the drum by a piece of stiff hose, and float the drum in water.

Banned
    Some prefer bearings over oak because it is a more precise way to put it together. Some here have mechanical/engineering backgrounds and while the oak may work they choose not to do it the red neck way ( no offense meant) If its worth doing its worth doing correctly and you certainly cannot fault bearing as a proper way to impliment the design.

It's like none of you have a clue as to what will work.
    Cleaning each piece of brass by hand will work, that said we all know there are better ways to do it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast