Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What brand of Brass do you all like for 9.3 x 62?

What brand of Brass do you all like for 9.3 x 62?

I have an old 9.3 x 62 Bolt Rifle on the way, and so I am feeling fired up about gettig the items I will need for Loading for it.

What brand of Brass do you all favor for this Cartridge?

I was pleased to see quite a few brands offering Brass for this when I did some 'googles' a little while ago...and I would like to hear of your own preferences.
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 09-13-2016 at 02:16 AM.

Hi Oyeboten,
    I would stick to the Euro brands if possible. It seems as if the US makers are using 30-06 basic brass to make the 9.3x62. The original mauser specs have the base being slightly larger than 30-06 brass. The result is bulged cases just above the webb.
    Great calibre by the way.
    LuckyLes

Boolit Master
    I used Grafs brass for many years. Don't know who makes it but it is good stuff.
    East Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLes View Post
    Hi Oyeboten,
    I would stick to the Euro brands if possible. It seems as if the US makers are using 30-06 basic brass to make the 9.3x62. The original mauser specs have the base being slightly larger than 30-06 brass. The result is bulged cases just above the webb.
    Great calibre by the way.
    LuckyLes

Ahhh!

Okay, I will see about finding European Brass then.

I did a few 'googles' about Shell Holders for the 9.3x62 and lots of issues there on account of differing rim thicknesses and even diameters with various makes of Brass, so, indeed, looks like the Brass Makers are not always staying to true specifications, and one may have to decide a Brand, and then elect one's Shell holder based on that brand's specs.
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 09-14-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Boolit Master

Go to Lapua and look no further.

When my father and I were in the midst of our Highpower competition career, we used a lot of Benchrest case prep techniques - sorting by weight, uniforming primer pockets & flash holes, turning necks in some cases, etc... - which in retrospect was overkill for the accuracy needs of Highpower, but hey, live and learn. When we discovered Lapua brass, we rapidly realized there was no longer a need to do ANY of that stuff. Yes, it's expensive, and you may not need that level of consistency for a medium range big game gun, but it absolutely, positively eliminates variability in your cases for any application short of true Benchrest work.

Badazz cartridge BTW. Constructing a .35 Whelan due to better logistics in my casting supplies, but you got a real contender for all those "one rifle" discussions that pop up all the time.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Go to Lapua and look no further.

When my father and I were in the midst of our Highpower competition career, we used a lot of Benchrest case prep techniques - sorting by weight, uniforming primer pockets & flash holes, turning necks in some cases, etc... - which in retrospect was overkill for the accuracy needs of Highpower, but hey, live and learn. When we discovered Lapua brass, we rapidly realized there was no longer a need to do ANY of that stuff. Yes, it's expensive, and you may not need that level of consistency for a medium range big game gun, but it absolutely, positively eliminates variability in your cases for any application short of true Benchrest work.

Badazz cartridge BTW. Constructing a .35 Whelan due to better logistics in my casting supplies, but you got a real contender for all those "one rifle" discussions that pop up all the time.

Thank you Bigslug!

I was just about to ask about 'Lapua'.

Looks like it is about $140.00 or so for one Hundred 'Lapua' Cases, to my Door...so, 'expensive', yes, but heck, this is 2016 and a pack of Pall Malls if 8 bucks! Eeeesh!

I am not sure if I will even bother getting any Factory Ammunition for it.

At 3 to 4 bucks a round, the joys and variety and satisfaction of loading my own, is more appealing than ever..!

I need to find some old Molds, and try out 'Paper Patching' with it, so, with me luck on that.
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 09-14-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Boolit Master

I have used Lapua and Norma. Both are great. Both are expensive.

I have to jump in and recommend Privi Partizan from Grafs. Loaded ammo, brass & bullets- all good all inexpensive. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    I have a Westphal Bolt action. I have only used 06 brass for Years without Problem.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Only 3 brands you need to think about here:

Lapua
    Norma
    RWS
    --------
    SISU

Any tips on where to find good Loading Data for the 9.3x62?

The couple of Lyman Books ( newish ones, 'Lyman Cast Bullets Handbook', and '48th Reloading Handbook' do not appear to include or even mention the 9.3x62

Where should I start looking?

I had a hunch 'Norma' Braass would be well thought of also.

Maybe I'll get 100 of the Lapua and the Norma...and that ought to last me I think...and I will keep my respective loadings to the two respective Brands to minimize any variables there.

Has anyone who's actually owned and used a 9.3x62mm had a problem with PPU brass or bullets? My CZ 550 American would put three of their 286 gr factory loads in one inch at 100yards. $28 a box from Grafs. They outshot the Hornady $50/box ammo easily. No Fanboy just fact. Best, Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Has anyone who's actually owned and used a 9.3x62mm had a problem with PPU brass or bullets?
    Have you actually tried Lapua, Norma or RWS?

I'm not saying that all PPU products are bad. On the contrary, some times they are just great. Excellent for the price. The problem is that next batch you buy can be totally different.

Couple of years ago siluette shooters noticed a certain .30 PPU-bullet was very cheap and very accurate. If I recall correctly is was 150 gr FMJBT. They bought everything the distributor had in stock. I saw them shoot less than 3" at 200 meters (5 shots with pistol..) The distributor naturally ordered more of the same bullet, and eventually the next batch arrived. The accuracy was gone. And of course the shooters went back to Lapua, Sierra and Nosler.

The latest example are PPU's .308 Win cartridges, that will not chamber in 50% of the rifles.
    --------
    SISU

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Has anyone who's actually owned and used a 9.3x62mm had a problem with PPU brass or bullets? My CZ 550 American would put three of their 286 gr factory loads in one inch at 100yards. $28 a box from Grafs. They outshot the Hornady $50/box ammo easily. No Fanboy just fact. Best, Thomas.

These are loaded Ammunition/Cartridges? vis a vie 'Brass'?

Hi Oyeboten,
    Here in "The Land Down Under", PPU is quite popular and seems to be quite accurate. It's almost as cheap to buy loaded PPU as it is to buy unprimed brass here. A lot of guys buy PPU factory loaded cartridges, shoot them, and then load their own from there on.
    LuckyLes

Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Have you actually tried Lapua, Norma or RWS?

I'm not saying that all PPU products are bad. On the contrary, some times they are just great. Excellent for the price. The problem is that next batch you buy can be totally different.

Couple of years ago siluette shooters noticed a certain .30 PPU-bullet was very cheap and very accurate. If I recall correctly is was 150 gr FMJBT. They bought everything the distributor had in stock. I saw them shoot less than 3" at 200 meters (5 shots with pistol..) The distributor naturally ordered more of the same bullet, and eventually the next batch arrived. The accuracy was gone. And of course the shooters went back to Lapua, Sierra and Nosler.

The latest example are PPU's .308 Win cartridges, that will not chamber in 50% of the rifles.
    Yes I have. When I was enjoying my 9.3x62 those brands were out of stock and after getting 40 Hornady and 40 PPU cartridges to shoot for the brass- they weren't needed. Every experienced reloader knows that Lapua and Norma are the best. That's not in question. So- is the problem with the .308 ammo or 50% of the rifles? Best, Thomas.

I imagine any Brass is going to work better once one has fired it in the actual Arm one intends to be loading for.

Far as that goes anyway...given how various Brands of Brass will differ a little, just as individual Chmbers may.

As for Loading Tables...would I do well to have a look to .35 Whelen? And to carefully work from those figures?

Or..?

I am not finding anything for Loading Tables for the 9.3x62 so far in my various 'googles' nor in the two large Lyman Books I sent off for.

Boolit Grand Master

And the shell holder should be the same one for all those cartridges, including the 30-06 and .308, 7x57, 8x57, 45ACP, etc..
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I worked up some loads with the Hornady 286 interlock bullet, Norma and Lapua cases. Winchester large primers. Started with 55 grains of IMR 4064 and ended with 60 grains. COAL of 3.29 inches which I noted was no where near the cannelure, but it chambered in my CZ 550. 60 grains filled the case to the top and I had to shake the powder down to make room for the bullet. Compressed load needless to say. Velocity was 2185 fps at 55 grains and 2341 fps at 60 grains. I noted that 59 grains gave 2300 fps and I didnt have to work as hard making room for the bullet. I noted no difference observed between Lapua and Norma cases given the same loads. The short barrel on the CZ 550 didn't help velocity much. No pressure signs noted. But in my experience a large bore rifle with slow burning powder can basically take a full case. I have more data somewhere but cant locate it. I will look for it.

Boolit Master

found my data. PM sent. it is in PDF format.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast