Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: Shot Making

Boolit Master

Shot Making

Well I decided to set everything up and attempt to make some #10 shot, since we are under a "shelter in place" order here in Ohio.
    After a lot of different hurdles, I was able to produce about 11lbs of #10 shot (.063 - .069 diameter)

I have a Shannon Shotmaster Shot Maker, 2 singe hole drippers. According to all the paperwork these units are supposed produce 25Lbs an hour, I'm wondering if anyone else out there has one of these, and what sort of production rates are achievable.

Here's what mine looks like when it's up and running.
    https://imgur.com/cVZmsMO

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    It's spitting them out , but it must be a lot of them in a pound .

Boolit Master

Very nice !!

What will you be using the #10s for??
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Very nice !!

What will you be using the #10s for??
    I want to try my hand at loading some shot shells for my 357, I hope the #10 are small enough, if not I'll try to make some #12 next.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Looks like it's working very well Scott. Good job. Gp

Boolit Master

Here's today's run, running .014 drippers. Dropping shot @ about .060 - .065 diameter.

https://imgur.com/ToyEvxb

Scott
    Scott

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Scott, I have a Better Shot maker (Brand) called Black max or something like that and has 7 double drippers, even with very clean wheel weights I can only get about 50-60 lbs an hour if you can get 25lb an hour with 2 single drippers you will be doing very well, other friends have 2 dripper models not sure of brand name but they only get about 5lb an hour, I've had mine about 6-7 years and biggest thing I've found to keep them efficient is good clean alloy and clean the dripper nozzles each time you use it,

cheers

Boolit Master
    Scott, looks like it's running well, did you use graphite spray on the ramp where the shot drops ? And what do you use for coolant ?
    thanks, Jim

Yep, I have one. Used it a bunch when my son was on a trap team and a bag of shot was around $60 a bag, that was 12 years ago. If you run your ladle close to full like you are, it suppose to make shot on the smaller size. If I recall swapping the original soup cans with cool coolant, I making about 15# per hour. That was with the 8-9 size nozzles. And I tried to keep the ladle on the lower size so I would get closer to number 8 shot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Leadmad View Post
    Hi Scott, I have a Better Shot maker (Brand) called Black max or something like that and has 7 double drippers, even with very clean wheel weights I can only get about 50-60 lbs an hour if you can get 25lb an hour with 2 single drippers you will be doing very well, other friends have 2 dripper models not sure of brand name but they only get about 5lb an hour, I've had mine about 6-7 years and biggest thing I've found to keep them efficient is good clean alloy and clean the dripper nozzles each time you use it,
    cheers
    Thanks for the info, I'm only getting about 5#'s per hour with this size shot. I was able to get about 8 1/2 #'s per hour with the large size shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Scott, looks like it's running well, did you use graphite spray on the ramp where the shot drops ? And what do you use for coolant ?
    thanks, Jim
    I'm using Crown 6080 - Dry Molly Lubricant - https://www.amazon.com/Crown-6080-Dr.../dp/B00PKXHURI
    I'm using fabric softener - walmart brand - about 95% softener to 5% water. Using a fountain pump to circulate the softener back into drop tank.

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Yep, I have one. Used it a bunch when my son was on a trap team and a bag of shot was around $60 a bag, that was 12 years ago. If you run your ladle close to full like you are, it suppose to make shot on the smaller size. If I recall swapping the original soup cans with cool coolant, I making about 15# per hour. That was with the 8-9 size nozzles. And I tried to keep the ladle on the lower size so I would get closer to number 8 shot.
    Are you using diesel fuel for your lubricant as the original setup showed?
    Scott

No, no diesel fuel. Nasty stuff. I am using the pet friendly Sierra antifreeze.

Boolit Buddy
    As a new skeet shooter and the price of lead shot so high, I have been looking at shot makers myself. Not ready to jump into yet but it is something for me to consider. I am wanting to just shoot #9 shot and it is hard to find in factory shells, but I have some clean lead but I need to really think this out before jumping in head first. Thanks for the post.