MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eastwood Powder

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PBaholic View Post
    HELP!

I tried 'shake and baking' Eastwood Mirror Black, and I didn't get good coverage. Then I tried the vibrating tumbler, but it just doesn't seem to stick very well.

30 seconds of shaking HF Red in a #5 Tupperware used to make a perfect bullets. I feel like a newby now, but I've been using HF Red for years with GREAT results.
    This is the reason I recommend Smokes Powders since they have been tested by so many and the work with the shake & bake.
    All powders will spray and that is the clients Eastwood services, but all powders will not tumble coat.

Over the years I have done a lot of business with Prismatic Powders, Prismatic is a manufacturer, and have had good luck with then. So far all the Prismatic high gloss solid color powders I have tried have worked with the tumble method. If you venture away from those I would recommend you invest in a powder gun.

To salvage what you have I would suggest doing a pre-heat on your bullets, but you must have an accurate thermometer like the glass Taylor Oven Guide to monitor the temperature. Heat your bullets to 140 degrees then do the shake, keeping them constantly moving until coated. If you overheat or don't keep the bullets moving you can end up with a ball of bullets. I personally use pre-heating as standard practice as I am in the high humidity Gulf Coast, but I am also dropping the bullets into my just for bullets homemade tumbler. Good luck.
    Last edited by Dragonheart; 01-21-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by borg View Post
    Tell me,, does the Eastwood powder do an easer coating shake and bake than HF?
    I have a HF sprayer, but afraid to use it fear of shock.
    That's funny. Just don't stick your tongue on the pointy metal prong on the end of the gun and you will be OK.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonerboy View Post
    That's funny. Just don't stick your tongue on the pointy metal prong on the end of the gun and you will be OK.
    OH, that's okay just as long as you don't press the button!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Thread just cost me 13.99.........
    I'm guessing you got your Eastwood powder off Amazon, heh. As I mentioned in my other, and first post here, I to ordered some Eastwood. 4 different colors. I have a notion to send them all back. I think they will all be fine, none are yellow, by the way. My itch with them is their add, every add, lists a pound of powder, for the $13.99 to $17.99 range. What I received today was 4- 8 ounce bags. For the powder coat schooled in value, I prolly got a decent deal, no shipping and all, but their adds all state a pound.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    I'm guessing you got your Eastwood powder off Amazon, heh. As I mentioned in my other, and first post here, I to ordered some Eastwood. 4 different colors. I have a notion to send them all back. I think they will all be fine, none are yellow, by the way. My itch with them is their add, every add, lists a pound of powder, for the $13.99 to $17.99 range. What I received today was 4- 8 ounce bags. For the powder coat schooled in value, I prolly got a decent deal, no shipping and all, but their adds all state a pound.
    If you got 2# for $13.99 that's a good deal, assuming they will tumble coat.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    If you got 2# for $13.99 that's a good deal, assuming they will tumble coat.
    You misunderstood. I ordered 4#, but when it came, package said 1/2#. But here's the embarrassing thing. i read the little note that said how many sq. ft were covered per 1/2#. 1# was indicated elsewhere on the package. My bad. I did receive 4# of powder.

Used up the rest of the black HF powder I picked up several weeks back. Coated about 50# of 230 gr 45 ACP pills today. Wife made me take her to pizza tonight for commandeering her oven all day. Every batch took at least two trips through vibratory tumbler and oven to coat well. Before I ordered the 4#, I did get a sample 8 ounce container of Eastwood powder, and it covered perfectly with one short tumble and bake. I look forward to the better powder.

But, even after querying, I can't find out what is magic about this #5 plastic container to shake the boolits in. Clue me in on this specialty. I have three tumblers, so will likely just continue that method, it's working well for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    You misunderstood. I ordered 4#, but when it came, package said 1/2#. But here's the embarrassing thing. i read the little note that said how many sq. ft were covered per 1/2#. 1# was indicated elsewhere on the package. My bad. I did receive 4# of powder.

Used up the rest of the black HF powder I picked up several weeks back. Coated about 50# of 230 gr 45 ACP pills today. Wife made me take her to pizza tonight for commandeering her oven all day. Every batch took at least two trips through vibratory tumbler and oven to coat well. Before I ordered the 4#, I did get a sample 8 ounce container of Eastwood powder, and it covered perfectly with one short tumble and bake. I look forward to the better powder.

But, even after querying, I can't find out what is magic about this #5 plastic container to shake the boolits in. Clue me in on this specialty. I have three tumblers, so will likely just continue that method, it's working well for me.

I read you “commandeered your wife’s oven” ...... For PC coating baking?

You may want to do a search on the subject of gassing off of the PC as it bakes. I would be concerned with then cooking food there afterwards.

My bad if I am reading too much into your post.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I read you “commandeered your wife’s oven” ...... For PC coating baking?

You may want to do a search on the subject of gassing off of the PC as it bakes. I would be concerned with then cooking food there afterwards.

My bad if I am reading too much into your post.

Best regards

Three44s
    You read that right. At present, I do not have a toaster oven. I tried a few batches at first, and basically smelled nothing. From all the reading on here, and youtoobing, I never picked up on the "gassing" thing. However, I did tell her this would be the last I did in her kitchen. Kind of a crappy day here, the reason I chose to do it. She told me later in the day she was wanting to bake some goodies for some bake sale later this week. So now it looks like I may be poisoning those who buy her goodies.

Eastwood semi-gloss clear powder is my go-to powder for shake n bake. Great coverage and I usually add a pinch of my favorite color for a transparent color. An electrostatic gun is the best bet for some powders like the old HF flat black and many others. Just the way some of the powders were designed to work. Gp

Boolit Master
    La5676, I guess I did misunderstand I understood 4 half pound packages for $13.99, but a half pound for $13.99 is high. I would call and at least complain about the mis-information as I would think they would want to correct it. You might want to go to the Prismatic site and price their powder, it varies but price is posted. The last powder I purchased from them was 5 pounds for $40 delivered, so that's $8 a pound. Every time I have checked their weight I received more than a pound.

Using an oven for food after it has been used for PC is a no/no according to the paint manufacturers, but you now already know that. I wish you were in the Houston area as I know of two neighbors that are giving away working wall ovens and another a 30" stove just for hauling them away. Full size ovens are typically better quality than the cheap toaster ovens if one has the room to set it up.

The #5 plastic as I remember is Polypropylene which generates more static than others, but I think the difference is slight as I have used Polyethylene and found no noticeable difference. I think the Polypropylene is a little denser product. I use "Polypropylene Pellets for Weighted Blankets" mixed in with the powder to increase the static charge as well as adding a cushion. These pellets are about the size of a steel BB and can be purchased at Amazon or a hobby store.

If you have three tumblers I would suggest converting one for a bullet tumbler. I have a couple., nice thing is the vibration is adjustable by the tension on the allthread supports. I typically tumble 6 pounds of bullets at a time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1736.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	255660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1738.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	255661

Just want to share a funny with you guys. I use Eastwood and Cardinal powders.I like to mix Eastwood clear with a pinch of Cardinal powder of one color or another, my favorite being dark blue or green (sometimes both) gives a very nice semi-transparent sea foam kind of color and doesn't pixilate (sp) I have so may coated this way I decided to give other colors a try. Going for Tangerine I mixed clear in some air soft BBs that had been used with red and a pinch of orange. When the bullets came out of the oven they looked just like they had a heavy coat of Lee liquid alox. LOL Well, at least it was good coverage and the bullets aren't a gunky mess. Some mixes just work better than others. Gp

I'm looking into PC'ing Boolits. I was looking at The Powder Coat Store's Flat Army Green PC as this is my favorite color. Has anybody tried this powder? I prefer flat colors like flat black or a flat Army tan. It seems everybody is using shinny colors and not flats and I am curious if the flats work well. Also is The Powder Coat Store a reputable site. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

https://thepowdercoatstore.com/colle...en-powder-coat
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Cheeto303 I've used Eastwood flat army green powder. As with most (if not all) flat color powders. You need to spray them with an electrostatic gun. Flat colors don't "shake and bake" well. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Cheeto303 I've used Eastwood flat army green powder. As with most (if not all) flat color powders. You need to spray them with an electrostatic gun. Flat colors don't "shake and bake" well. Gp
    Ok, Thank you for the info.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Master
    Gp is correct, all powders will spray because that is the way they were intended to be applied. What we are doing with shake & bake I found amazing that it worked to begin with. If you don't want to spray I would suggest not trying to reinvent the wheel when first starting out and just pick a shiny solid color as greens & blues tend to work the best. Tractor Green is one of my favorite colors.

Boolit Master

I have had very good luck with most colors bought from a number of retailers

Powder by the pound & The Powder Coat store BOTH sell on eBay. I find this easiest for me. But there is a couple dollars increase over other places. They all work well.

Solid colors are best as recommended.

Eastwood ford blue coats quick and easily. Costs TOO THICK even for me!!

Tiger dry lack and some Cardinals as well as Sherwin Williams and we all love Smokes all have worked exceptionally well for me.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 03-13-2020 at 05:12 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I am going to have to disagree with you guys. I have 5 or 6 different flat colors from the powder coat store. They tumble just fine. No bb's, just powder and bullets.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123