Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Black powder substitute and air temperature...

Boolit Man

Black powder substitute and air temperature...

As a new conversion from the smokeless realm, I am curious how much temperature effects the performance of black powder substitutes? In your experience, if you have your rifle load shooting 1/2" groups at 25 yds when it is 100 degrees out, what would you guess your loads performance be at 50 degrees? Point of impact change?

Thanks guys!

Jim

Boolit Master
    you will find shooting any kind of black powder in 100 degree weather miserable. As much as I love to shoot mine, I avoid anything over 85 degrees. But you can always get out there at sun rise and beat the heat. Also.... if you are hunting or planning on hunting dear in 100 deg. weather, I hope you have access to a chopper to pick your game up before it spoils.

Boolit Master
    I don't think the powder changes as much as the exterior ballistics. Change in temp and air density do a lot for big, slow bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think you'll see much difference. For one thing once you fire the gun, the barrel is already warmer so it will warm the powder. It's not like we are shooting out to 500y either. I also avoid it when it's that hot but sometimes do still get out in it. Around here it's either get out in the heat or don't get to shoot much.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the insight, guys! Stopped allowing shooting on Forest Service land due to fire danger. The public range is now being utilized much more due to that and am sure it would be packed at the 6am opening with people trying to beat the heat. So, I pussed out! Kid's sidelock showed in the mail today so decided to clean it and watch movies in the air conditioning.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaElkSlayer View Post
    Thanks for the insight, guys! Stopped allowing shooting on Forest Service land due to fire danger. The public range is now being utilized much more due to that and am sure it would be packed at the 6am opening with people trying to beat the heat. So, I pussed out! Kid's sidelock showed in the mail today so decided to clean it and watch movies in the air conditioning.
    you will find a way to get it done. shoot on a weekday.

Shooting anything in 100 degree heat is miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    you will find shooting any kind of black powder in 100 degree weather miserable. As much as I love to shoot mine, I avoid anything over 85 degrees. But you can always get out there at sun rise and beat the heat. Also.... if you are hunting or planning on hunting dear in 100 deg. weather, I hope you have access to a chopper to pick your game up before it spoils.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Shooting anything in 100 degree heat is miserable.
    Couple that with very high humidity and it becomes horrible! Yet I do it anyway because I want to shoot. I do refuse to go camping though...

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post

Couple that with very high humidity and it becomes horrible!

I do refuse to go camping though...

When I go camping in hot weather, I get a streamside "tent" campsite (no hookups) that allows me to place my tent trailer so the rear bed overhangs the running water.

Up goes an entranceway tarp, and I open the screened windows so that there's almost no canvas on the sides - just on the roof.

The sound of the running water is soothing to me, and the running water acts provides an air-conditioning effect as some of the moving water evaporates.

If I'm fortunate, a hapless Raccoon might even amble by one evening, and jump into my stewpot.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    When I go camping in hot weather, I get a streamside "tent" campsite (no hookups) that allows me to place my tent trailer so the rear bed overhangs the running water.

Up goes an entranceway tarp, and I open the screened windows so that there's almost no canvas on the sides - just on the roof.

The sound of the running water is soothing to me, and the running water acts provides an air-conditioning effect as some of the moving water evaporates.

If I'm fortunate, a hapless Raccoon might even amble by one evening, and jump into my stewpot.

Is this something that works from the bed of a pickup?

We generally primitive camp going in a few miles where it's quieter and less crowded. We've been conditioning our daughter ever since she was old enough to walk without wobbling. She has her second backpack and carries 8-10 lbs (her hydration bladder, clothes, sleep pad, kid binoculars, a book on animals and their tracks, and a stuffed animal). We will go right on up to about 30* (I've gone as low as 20* and had the whole state park to myself being the only fool who didn't care).

I hear you on the humidity. Where I am it gets in the high 90's with 50 to 80 % humidity in July and August. Those days it is just better to stay in the AC. Right now we are experiencing low humidity during the day but temps in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Couple that with very high humidity and it becomes horrible! Yet I do it anyway because I want to shoot. I do refuse to go camping though...
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.