MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10ga super buck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    6pt,

Have you recovered any of the wraps? If so, does it look like they actually protect the RBs from flat spotting in the bore? I guess recovered RBs from the right medium would provide that answer too.

BB
    Yes I have . And to be honest I'm not overly sure if they did what you ask or not . I use the wrap more to cut down on the lead skid marks inside the barrel more then anything .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I have never gotten good result from wraps vs wadcups.
    In the short 10's I use the shotcup on the SP-10 wad from size #3 up to 00 . I'm still kinda on the fence with 000 and I remove the petals and use a wrap for 0000 and 00000 . In the 12 gauge I mostly load #0 in shotcups , for the 16 I use the CB WAA16 wad with petals still attached but mostly #1 and 0 . In the 20 gauge I also keep the petals attached in the CB WAA20 wad and the REM SP-20 with #2 and #3 . In the 10 gauge I've tried everything from #4 to 00000 and all did well enough to meet my parameters BUT I have very little inclination to use buckshot over 25 or so yards . I will say all my buckshot use is for deer or on paper and I've not been overly happy with #4 , I have used #3 in the 10 gauge on deer with adequate results . I'm sure #3 and #4 are great for predator stuff but that's not something I've gotten involved in .

I realize most of you are shooting screw choke guns . I do have one Benelli with screw ins but all the rest of mine are close to 100 years old if not well over and it's "run what ya brung" . I've also found the old saying of full is to tight for this that or the other isn't always true . So generally each time I purchase a new to me 10 gauge I pattern both barrels with several sizes of buckshot typically before I'm done I try them all and of course there's always one or two far better then the rest .

I made my decisions this morning and loaded a half dozen test loads.

1x fired fed hull trimmed to 3.07" (eliminate the fold crimp)

XX grains of Blue Dot (i might post charge weight after firing)

209A

(1) x10x GS

(1) 0.125 NC

(12) 0.375" WQ RBs in layers of 2

No wrap (my kid wants this load so he can scrub the lead out of the bore)

#47 buffer to top of stack

(1) thin paper OSC

Roll crimped. (BPI crimper, drill press and channel locks)

In regards to the powder charge it is a couple grains under a book load for 2 1/4 oz of shot. The 12 pellets weigh 2.15 oz.

Should be fun to test.

BB

BB, as you know I have loaded all manner of buckshot. The key to success seems to be 1) a 2 stack of HARD shot; 2) moderate velocitiy; 3) buffer. Powder charge dictated by equivalent weight, fast lead shot load which is generally a slow ish powder. If 3/8 balls will 2-stack in a standard 10 ga wad I would put enough buffer in the bottom to cover interior base of cup and start stackin. It's ok to go above shotcuup for a stack. Add buffer and shake down even with top of shot then thin overshot, fold crimp. Load constructed like this shoot best out of full choke. You can get more pellets in 3 stacks of varying heights but I have never seen them pattern as well. Here's 70% of 00 in a 10" circle at 40 yds constructed this way.

PS: I have never gotten good result from wraps vs wadcups.
    HT,

I have your items 1, 2 and 3 covered.

I have SP10 wads but the petals are way to thick for a 2 stack of anything bigger than 000.

The sxs 10ga has screw in chokes, full (0.740") and cylinder. I plan to test both.

I copied fairly closely your "perfect" 12ga buckshot load last summer. I scaled it up to 3.5" and out of my friends benelli it will take a yote at 60 yards. The benelli has the kicks buck kicker choke that Leon puts to good use. I do my best loading when i steal ideas from the pros.

BB

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Post some loading pics please. I have an 1890's charles daly SxS 2 7/8" that is away getting replacement hammers as we speak. I'd like to load some ammo for it some day. I bought some 2 7/8" loaded #5's I want to use for turkey.

Not perfect but good enough for my sons intended purpose. I fired three rounds this morning and they will put 7 or 8 pellets in 8 inches at 30 yards. Since i know my son is planning a 15 yard shot this will work. Recoil is tolerable. Powder charge is 40g of BD.

BBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	8092.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	242704

Boolit Master

boom flop on both ends ��
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    boom flop on both ends ��
    Of all the 10 gauge guns I’ve accumulated the one that would get the shooter is a circa 1850-1860 MacFarlane 10 gauge double percussion and only when I loaded it with 730 home cast slugs pushed with 90+ grains of 777 2Fg . Shooting that albatross actually put a knot in my right shoulder from shooting at the bench . Think i shot about 20 times , no recoil pad but rather a metal buttplate

Boolit Master
    AH "The good olds of Copper BB'S.. Buy a shoulder pad and wear every time you take a gun.. IT WILL TAKE A YEAR OR TWO TO GET OVER FLINCHING...". If nothing else use a shot bag or towels...

USMC 77, USRA 79

Yikes.. that’s all I can say.. I must be under age for this thread.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Yikes.. that’s all I can say.. I must be under age for this thread.
    MP,

I am too old as well. This load is for my mid 30s F16 pilot son. I fired 3 rounds standing and two days later my right shoulder is still sore. The 10ga has a recoil pad and i put a limbsaver slipon pad over it! After i finished with the ten ga i had an enjoyable shooting session with 20ga and 410 slug guns.

BB

BB: A bit off track here my friend but the young man with a love of recoil might give this a try for me. I noticed that by inserting a .562 RB in the hollow of the 12ga. foster slug like a tru-ball expands the foster to what could be fired out of a cylinder bore. Measured on my scale this makes a payload of 731gr. I'm trying to convince my shoulder that it's worth a try. Gp

gp,

I had a 12ga HB FB mold that dropped a 730g slug. Velocity at or below 1,200 fps the recoil wasn't so bad. Anything over 1,300 fps was nasty. I think the lead "truball" might cause problems with the weight forward design of your foster. I still have some of these slugs if you want to try them.

I am thinking my son might like a 10ga 2-ball load with 69 cal RBs. I could probably fit (3) 69 cal balls in a 3 1/2" 10ga but i have no clue on a smokeless powder charge. Maybe some FFg goex would work?

BB

BB: Yes, you're likely right about it being unbalanced but I do have 3" 12ga load data for heavy loads (1 5/8 and 1 7/8 ) I might still give it a try. I do know I don't have it in me to try anything like that 3 ball load. I probably should have just stuck with my 22-250 and my 223's I can actually hit something with those. Gp

Went from 10ga superbuck to 10ga superduper buck. Yesterday i tried some 10g loaded with (2) 69 cal round balls. The balls were tumbled, very round and smooth, and heat treated. I fired these from an American Arms SxS with screw in chokes that measured 0.735". Target was at 60 yards, a lot better group than i expected.

BB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8524.jpeg  

BB That should knock a bear on his Bee Hind. Gp

Boolit Master
    Went from 10ga superbuck to 10ga superduper buck. Yesterday i tried some 10g loaded with (2) 69 cal round balls. The balls were tumbled, very round and smooth, and heat treated. I fired these from an American Arms SxS with screw in chokes that measured 0.735". Target was at 60 yards, a lot better group than i expected.

BB
    I would like to have tried a pair of .690 balls in my 10’s but being only 2 7/8” i was only able to got one to suit me while using an SP-10 wad .

6pt,

Copy that. I used fired 3.5" hulls that i trimmed to 3.07" for a good roll crimp.

BB

Boolit Master
    6pt,

Copy that. I used fired 3.5" hulls that i trimmed to 3.07" for a good roll crimp.

BB
    I bought some steel shot wads from BPI to nestle the .690” roundballs but they make the loaded shell just to tight to go in the chamber . I think I have a .662” roundball mold . I might just try those and see how it goes and maybe I can get two in a 2 7/8” folded crimp she’ll .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12