Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning the quest for a 338-06ai hunting load....

Boolit Bub

Beginning the quest for a 338-06ai hunting load....

A while back when I got my Ruger Blackhawk I started casting bullets for it...and found out that casting bullets is easier than I thought it was. So I ended up ordering molds for my 7x57 and my 338-06AI too....
    I decided I wanted to try to come up with a load that would take a deer at 100-150yds and shoot accurately... So...I have been on the hunt for that load and have found that my cast bullets shoot very well when all the planets align and you get up on the right side of the bed!
    I started out testing Unique...my first test group shocked me... I shot at 50yds because I was not sure the cast bullets would even stay on the paper..but the pic below shows the results!

Great accuracy with Unique..but the velocity was not enough...so I moved on to test IMR4227 and H4895.... this morning my testing gave me this group at 100yds..and a velocity of 1800fps..

I got up close to 2000fps with the H4895 but the groups opened up closer to 3" at 100yds...so the testing will go on. I plan to run both of these powders up farther to see if I hit another accuracy sweet spot...

The bullet is the Lee 220gr RN GC. To this point I didn't think that weight sorting them would be worth the effort, but my scale is out on the table and the sorting will be done before the next set of test loads get shot! I would like to have a load running at 2200-2400fps for hunting...but I could probably get by with that IMR4227 load doing 1800fps for deer out to 100-150yds....

The quest will continue..

Zee

So the quest will go on!
    Zee

Banned

when you get to the medium rifle powders quite often a little bit of filler will help shrink those groups...
    I have also seen a primer change make quite a difference with those same powders.

Boolit Master

The Lee 220 gave me some really great groups out of 338 Mag and the same loading gave equally good groups with the Hornady 200 grain flat nose 33 Winchester bullet.

One of the gunzine writers used the same load of 3031 in 338-08 (as it was called at that time) and got a bit more speed (1800s as I recall), but listed it as a very accurate load. The article was in one of the bigger "annual" publications.

Have tried equaling the groups I got with the Lee boolit and hornady 200 grainer using the 200 grain RCBS FP boolit and have not succeeded . . . yet. I thought if the Hornady 200 flat nose would perform with the load, then 200 grain cast would too. So much for assuming!

I wish Lee would offer that boolit with a flatter nose for hunting.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 09-20-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Additional info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Bub
    Runfiverun...Thanks for that...I may have to study up on the filler threads and give them a try if I get up to the velocity I am looking for and still have mediocre groups...

Z

Banned

I would probably just jump over the medium powders if I wanted to go faster than 2-k.
    I'm thinking the 338-06 is comfortable with jacketed loads and the slower powders like 4831.
    exchanging some powder for a buffer [not a filler] would keep the powder in it's comfort zone, lower the velocity, and hold your accuracy.
    2 steps slower than a slow for the cartridge powder is generally a good bet for a full case with reduced velocity's.
    your load might end up being something like 60 grs of bmg-50 with 3 grains of poly-fill buffer lightly compressed by the boolit and a federal 210 primer.
    I don't have quick load to run the numbers and that's just off the top of my head real quick but something like that should put you in the 22-2300 fps area.
    it would also be consistent from shot to shot and at any angle that you choose to point the rifle at an animal.

Boolit Bub
    Runfiverun---Well, I will keep messing with load development some...but after doing a bunch of reading here, there is a good chance that with my short barrel (18") and my 1:10 twist rate, that may be a limiting factor...

Zee

Moderator Emeritus

You might try bumping a flatnose on the rn Lee. Use a 1/4" bolt with the flats ground down to fit in the sizer die as the top punch.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    MT Gianni...That's a good idea, and I would try it too, if I had more than a push thru sizer...

Z

Boolit Master
    In my experience, you're pretty much at the top velocity for the accuracy you seek.
    I've got the same mould and run it through a .338/06 (not AI) and .338marlin.
    I use 41.0gr of RL15 for both, and get 2,050fps and similar accuracy to yours.
    This is enough speed for any reasonable purpose. The only advantage additional velocity will give you is flatter trajectories. And even that is a diminishing returns endeavor due to b.c. limitations of the bullet.
    Be satisfied with what you've got. It'll shoot broadside through anything game you'll shoot it at.
    I've found that flattening the tip with a flat punch in the Lyman Sizer/lubricator and using that to index an automatic punch to start a drill hollow point and drilling with a ~1/8" drill bit 3/8" deep that I get even better accuracy through the .338marlin.
    I've gotten 5-shot 1.5" groups with the .338MX, though I'll settle for a little less due to the time involved in modifying the bullets. I've got 10 modified bullets to use expressly for hunting this year.
    H4895 will be difficult to beat for the application your using it for. If you have any (new is almost impossible to find) RL15, try it. It'll give you the velocity you're looking for, and perhaps the accuracy.
    It's my accuracy champ in the .338/06 whereas RL17 is the velocity champ. (2,600fps w/250gr j-bullet!).
    FWIW; my .338/06 is more accurate with top cast boolits than with best j-bullets.
    Who'd have guessed ?

Another suggestion; tumble lube the bullets before sizing and gas-checking. Size to .339" and lube (pan lube if you don't have lubricator/sizer) with either NRA 50/50 or SPG (I use SPG).
    I was having fits with RCBS 200gr FNGC in .358 in .358win and .35Rem. I figured out it was because of inadequte lubrication for higher velocities from 20" bbls. Lubing with the LEE TL and then finishing them with SPG if found that .360" sizing was not better than .358". In fact, I slugged the bbl on the .35 and found it was .350" and .3575" with MicroGroove barrel.
    who'd have thought that, too? (but rifle is erie-accurate with 200gr Rem. CorLokts....).

Boolit Bub
    GG--thanks for that! I do have some RL-15 so I may give your load a try... Yeah, I have pretty much decide that even at 1800fps that bullet out of the 338-06ai will do anything I need on deer out to 150yds...so I will not stress much about it. I would like to try hollow pointing that bullet, but really, I am not set up with the right equipment to do it correctly. I may try filing or grinding a flat on the nose......that might help intitate expansion a little...

z

Vendor Sponsor
    +1 on the RL-15. An excellent powder for 338-06 jacketed too. Highest velocities and best accuracy in my 338-06.

Banned
    Keep up the info flow guys, cause I'm making a 338/06 also & can use all I can get. lol

Boolit Master
    What diameter are you sizing the bullets to and with what alloy?

Boolit Bub
    .339 and using straight WW that is air cooled...

Zee

In Remembrance

As I think I suggested to you in a previous PM use some tin with the WW`s and for a surface toughened boolet water quench them.Robert

Boolit Master

I made my 338/06 from a Sears model 55 3006. Had it re-bored by a smith in MI and chambered and throated for the @!) Nosler partition. IT shot sweet with that bullet. Sorry it went in a trade for a SMG, big mistake on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    As I think I suggested to you in a previous PM use some tin with the WW`s and for a surface toughened boolet water quench them. Robert
    +1. Water quenching would harden them several points and is easy to do. Just drop them into a bucket filled with tap water (what I do with all my boolits). A suggestion I saw on youtube was to put a towel over the top of the bucket with a 4" slot in the middle so you wouldn't get water splash back on you, the lead pot or your mold.

It has been a month sense any one has posted, I hope no one minds.

I am am shooting a 15in Encore in 338-06. I ended up settling on 30gr of SR 4759 with a 220gr GC bullet from Accerate Molds. Vel is 2100+. I tried RL 7, but I wa getting leading at the 2200 mark.

I did most of my homework with the Lyman book an the loading data for their 15in Encore in 30-06. It was at least a starting point. FWIW. I also found it very helpful to reference the 308 data when working on my 15in 338 Federal.

Duane
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Sorry, shooting WQ WW's sized to .339 with Felix lube.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

TCTex,

Sounds like you're getting good success with your loads. Don't know how you hang onto that Encore with that much power but that's another story I'm sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast