Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malware/adware distribution via this forum

Malware/adware distribution via this forum

Lately, I've been getting warnings from my browser and/or firewall about malware being distributed by the CastBoolits.Gunloads.Com site. Especially when I click on a Google search link that ends up here, ofttimes (not always) it will end up redirecting me to a URL such as http://myfilestore.com/download.php?id=2b5c7c20 which appears to be a site trying to lure the user into downloading a "update" to a browser extension. Clicking on the link takes one through a series of full-screen ad websites that require multiple Alt-F4 strikes to eliminate.

Anyone else noticing these? I don't think it's my computer, because I'm on Linux, which has few if any viruses. Also my firewall checks incoming websites for malware and viruses. And this site is the only one that's been acting like this -- none of the other websites I frequent have this issue. I suspect something is wrong with the web hosting of the forum. Or perhaps one of the in-line advertisers is having problems? Would seem to explain why it doesn't happen on every link click.
    Last edited by CometJo; 12-06-2016 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added statement about advertisers

Perma-Banned

I am getting it and I don't come here from Google...it had stopped...but, it has started, again.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not getting anything like that, happened once last week but not since. Running Linux with Palemoon as a browser. Also using the NoScript extension to prevent any surprise scripts on sites.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roadie View Post
    I'm not getting anything like that, happened once last week but not since. Running Linux with Palemoon as a browser. Also using the NoScript extension to prevent any surprise scripts on sites.
    Yeah, but you did get it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Yeah, but you did get it.

Yes, but if there were a problem with this site, I would expect to keep seeing problems. I made no changes to anything. I think the problem lays elsewhere.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roadie View Post
    Yes, but if there were a problem with this site, I would expect to keep seeing problems. I made no changes to anything. I think the problem lays elsewhere.
    I agree...I don't think the problem is on his site, either.

Boolit Master

I have seen nothing like that since the Late Unpleasantness. Apple iMac 10.9.5 and Safari.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes this is a problem and have to shut down and reboot to get rid of this. then the next time when I click on cast boolits it will work just fine. This site seams to be getting hacked!

In Remembrance

I use Chrome or Firefox and XP. No problems here since the nonsense last week.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Moderator Emeritus

It is not the site, it is google flagging us...

Boolit Buddy
    Went away with my linux box when I installed firefox exension popup blocker ultimate.
    Haven't seen it since.

Rich

Cast Boolits Owner

We work hard keeping this place hack free. I did get the warnings a couple weeks ago but after updating all the forum software the issue was resolved. I am not currently getting any warnings and with the exception of just a few members we are getting no complaints which leads us to believe the issues being experienced by those members is not related to the site however we will look into it again.

R.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Banned
    There is not a problem with this site. The problem is your computer. Clear the cookies and storred files and run a scan.

Boolit Grand Master

Cometjo: That was exactly what was happening to me last week with a re-direct to the same sight you mentioned. Since then I have run a scan on my comp (found nothing) and set my browser to automatically clear history and cookies when it closes. This has solved the problem and I've gotten nothing since.

As a reminder to everyone NEVER CLICK ON A RANDOM LINK OR OPEN ANY ATTACHMENT YOU DO NOT RECOGNIZE. IF YOU GET A WARNING TO UPDATE SOMETHING GO DIRECTLY TO THE WEBSITE ITSELF LIKE ADOBE AND CHECK YOURSELF
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Worst I had when that was going on was the site would not display. Using an IPad.

It's not my computer. To verify, I browsed to this forum today on a different computer that I hardly ever use, a linux laptop running a brand new install of Opera. I also am on a completely different network today. I think it's Opera's adware/malware protection filter system kicking in. The red Opera warning page shows that this forum was reported by yandex.com, a Russian (ahem) Internet company, as having malware issues. I am sure Google Chrome has a similar malware/adware warning system, too.

And yeah, I rarelyclick on/open strange file downloads and such, unless I'm trying to test. Most threats are for Windows anyway, which I stopped using a few years ago, except for my gaming PC which also runs Quickload.

Interesting to see that I'm not the only user experiencing this issue, though.
    Last edited by CometJo; 12-07-2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: note about windows

Boolit Master

I click on a photo link on one of the posts yesterday and things went bad. Bogus pop ups say to click on OK to acknowledge from Microsoft? Had to shutdown to get rid of it and then do a clean up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I click on a photo link on one of the posts yesterday and things went bad. Bogus pop ups say to click on OK to acknowledge from Microsoft? Had to shutdown to get rid of it and then do a clean up.
    Which post/photo? Sometimes pic hosting sites such as photobucket have popup ads which are frustrating but harmless, while some may host adware that can be harmful such as those that warn your computer may be infected etc.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CometJo View Post
    It's not my computer. To verify, I browsed to this forum today on a different computer that I hardly ever use, a linux laptop running a brand new install of Opera. I also am on a completely different network today. I think it's Opera's adware/malware protection filter system kicking in. The red Opera warning page shows that this forum was reported by yandex.com, a Russian (ahem) Internet company, as having malware issues. I am sure Google Chrome has a similar malware/adware warning system, too.

And yeah, I rarelyclick on/open strange file downloads and such, unless I'm trying to test. Most threats are for Windows anyway, which I stopped using a few years ago, except for my gaming PC which also runs Quickload.

Interesting to see that I'm not the only user experiencing this issue, though.

Ya, I just tried a fresh install of Opera and I'm getting the same warning. I did a fresh install of four different versions of Firefox and got nothing. I have no idea why Firefox or Palemoon is not picking it up.

Boolit Buddy
    i was getting the same redirect , i cleared my cookies and cache and the problem went away .

the google search page shows cast boolits as a hacked site