RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Off center flash holes in primer pocket in Perfecta .45 Auto Brass Cases.

Boolit Buddy

Off center flash holes in primer pocket in Perfecta .45 Auto Brass Cases.

Has anyone else experienced off center flash holes in primer pockets in "Perfecta" brand fired .45 Auto. Brass Cases? I have had some flash holes off center enough to bend decapping pins when resizing and depriming the .45 Auto. Brass Cases. Remedy so far is to "go slow" and "feel" the recapping pin hit the inside of the case head and stop before enough pressure is applied to damage the decapping pin. It happens sooner than in a normal "resizing and decapping stroke", where the decapping pin goes into the flash hole and then engages the primer anvil, so there is some "warning". I have never had this happen before.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Master
    I've found many GFL cases in 223 Remington that had seriously off center primer holes. They were a little hard to decap-- but I could do it. The good news is that I did a large set of accuracy comparisons with different cases (20 cases per lot, all trimmed identical and loaded identical), including a set with off-center primer holes, and got the best accuracy from the off-center cases. I realize that doesn't make sense-- but it happened.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Bub

They can be a PITA to de-cap, but my reloads shot just fine. Granted it was at a indoor steel plate match, targets were at 28 feet away.

I noticed the flash holes were off center in some of their 40 S&W brass I recently processed.

Boolit Grand Master

Nothing new. Perfecta is not so perfecta and I typically trash it along with Amerc.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Nothing new. Perfecta is not so perfecta and I typically trash it along with Amerc.
    Ditto
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    My first experience reloading 45 acp PMC brass was the same. Offset flash holes. At first, I couldn't figure out why I was having such a difficult time decapping the brass. Off into the scrap pile it went.

Boolit Master
    MFS which was made in Hungary in 45acp was the same way. Got to the point when brass scrounging I'd pick it up and when I got home into the scrap bucket. Most if not all of the brass hounds did the same. Amerc was the same way. Frank

'Perfecta' . . . that's a cigar, right?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    'Perfecta' . . . that's a cigar, right?
    Horse track betting perhaps?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I have to agree with you. I will reload them once and let so one else pick them up on the ground.

I've had issues as of late, with the flash hole being too small. Resulting in the decapping pin being removed from the expander as the ram is lowered.

Boolit Master
    Safeshot - GONRA put a looonger handle on Largest Lee press that I use just for dealing with resizing Srounged Range Brass.
    Such a handle CAN (go slooow) let ya'll "feel" any "bad primer news" before screwing up and wrecking something.
    Try it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Notorious for off-centered flash holes.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I bought a hundred rounds of USGI 30-06 ammo in the early 1970s and everyone of those cases had off center flash holes.
    In order to avoid the inevitable bent decapping rod I just removed my decapping pin and knocked out all the primers with a Lee hand punch and plastic hammer. Now more than 45 years later I am still knocking the primers out of all my brass with a hand tool.
    I have never bent any decapping pins or stems and my press does not get covered with primer ash.
    EDG