Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22LR Boltgun recomendations

Boolit Buddy
    The CZ's either the 452, 455 or the new 457 are all top shelf rifles. The action is basically a copy of the Winchester 52 with a few changes and modernizations. The original BRNO #1 copied the trigger from Mauser, then the #5 copied the Win Model 70 trigger. The CZ 452 carried on the tradition. The newer ones don't have threaded barrels but they seem to shoot well. I like the ones with the American style stock.

For an older rifle you will have a hard time beating a Winchester 69A, especially one made after 1955 with the grooved receiver. They often can still be had for decent prices.

Boolit Grand Master

If I were to get a new 22 rifle around 500 I’d look at the

CZ 455 Varmint
    Browning T bolt

Boolit Master

The 452 is the older version without the ability to change barrels - the tube on those is threaded into the receiver Olde Schoole. Bought my hardwood stocked "Military Trainer" version cheap in the mid-'90's when they first started importing their wares, upgraded the trigger with an Automation Solutions sear (probably better options now, but it serves), and count it among the last ones in the stash I'd part with. The quick change barrel feature I think was done more for production cost reduction than for the likelihood of folks actually using the feature, but it should not adversely affect anything.

The thing I like about the CZ's is that they don't cut corners because "it's just a .22". The trigger guard is stamped steel, as is the band that retains the extractors, but otherwise, there's a lot of milled & polished metal that you don't see much today. The Mil Trainers have probably the best set of open sights you'll ever find on a rimfire.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    The 452 is the older version without the ability to change barrels - the tube on those is threaded into the receiver Olde Schoole. Bought my hardwood stocked "Military Trainer" version cheap in the mid-'90's when they first started importing their wares, upgraded the trigger with an Automation Solutions sear (probably better options now, but it serves), and count it among the last ones in the stash I'd part with. The quick change barrel feature I think was done more for production cost reduction than for the likelihood of folks actually using the feature, but it should not adversely affect anything.

The thing I like about the CZ's is that they don't cut corners because "it's just a .22". The trigger guard is stamped steel, as is the band that retains the extractors, but otherwise, there's a lot of milled & polished metal that you don't see much today. The Mil Trainers have probably the best set of open sights you'll ever find on a rimfire.
    I have the budget version of the 452 Trainer that has the beech stock instead of the oiled walnut stock.
    My only complaint is that they didn't properly free-float the barrel since many were made with the barrel abutting or rubbing up against the wood on one side of the barrel channel.
    I didn't alter mine to free float it by sanding the channel but many people reportedly do.
    And I didn't notice any accuracy issues but it's only been shot indoors at 50 feet, mostly by my son for local club light rifle competitions which he's always done quite well with it.
    The more expensive 452's with the American style walnut stocks that I've seen were properly free floated.
    Last edited by arcticap; 05-06-2019 at 01:12 AM.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I bought a Browning T-bolt in left hand while waiting for CZ to chamber a left hand in .22 magnum ( still waiting ) The Browning shoots good and does very well compared to other hunting rifles .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

photo

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Sorry , I can't seem to keep up with the seemingly ever changing ways to post photos . I never did post a lot of them anyway .

Company websites are good but I like visiting the gunshops , it's harder to resist that way .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Last summer I bought the Tupperware version of the Ruger American Rimfire, and it continues to be a favorite. I can't believe they can make a rifle that shoots that well for $300

My serious hunting 22 BA is a 77/22 that I got soon as they came out. Blue & walnut/ 4x Redfield and it out shoots a lot of more expensive rifles. My nephew bought the plastic Ruger American and ugly as it is it shoots as well or better than my 77/22. My SIL won one in 22/250 at a gun blast. I had a new 4x12 Pentax for it and with factory ammo and cheap scope it shoots right with 700rems. They are ugly but they shoot.

I have a walnut stocked 77/22 that I put a Volquartsen sear in and floated the barrel. It will shoot almost as good as either of my Kimber 82's at half the weight. It's just a fun gun to shoot.

Just saw what looked like a new one sitting on the rack at the LGS.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Old Remington 581, if in good shape.
    X2

Got my 1st 22 in 1968. 581 Rem clip feed. Have it still and it's the best 22LR I've ever owned. Look around at shows and on rimfirecentral.com for any of the 500 series of Rem 22 bolters. You can't go wrong. 580 single shot, 581 clip feed, 582 tube feed. For real rimfire info hop over on the link below. 10

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Had a guy at the range today with a Ruger American, Shooting CCI Standard Velocity, at 25 meters, it shot 5 shot ragged one hole groups. I watched him do it.. Kind of embarrassing
    as that what my MS64 does at 5 times the price

Boolit Master
    The improvements that CZ made with the 457 are worth looking at it. The safety pushed forward to take off safety, like a Remington style safety. The 455 has a Winchester model 70 looking safety that works backwards. You pull it back to take the safety off. The bolt handle does not rotate as far as the 455. So you don't have as many issues mounting a scope. The Action is shorter and the trigger is supposed to be much better than the 455.
    I don't have the 22LR, I have the 17HMR. I love my rifle more every time I shoot it. I have killed a pile of chucks with it from 25 yards out to 223 yards.
    It shoots so well I took a 10 year old girl on a Rock Chuck hunting contest with it. She never shot the gun before and she won 3rd place all age group. The 455 shoots awesome.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I was looking a new 22 rifle one I looked at was 975.00 bucks if it did not shoot MOA they refund your money very nice rifle but I could not talk myself into it. I looked at CZ was on the fence about them and one day I stopped in a gun shop and picked up the Ruger precession it was om the shelf no waiting and I like to feel a gun before I buy. Its a shooter I do not like the 30moa base since I not shooting long range.My son has a savage I forget the model and it is also a shooter. My brother got a savage mk 2 it was a cheap buy came with a scope that was worthless. He asked me to set it up and sight it in for him. Man that cheap rifle is a shooter even with the carton fedrals, At 50 yards 5 shots one hole CCIs same thing. If I was to buy another one it would be the MK II so far savage seems to be the best buy for the money.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Mold
    I got a CZ 452 from Buds early this year. great looks and great shooter. Trigger is good too. It likes the win dyna points. It was a little more money than 455 but walnut and gloss blue steel

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with deadeyeBly. Win 69A is a sweet rifle and easy to maintain. As a kid, I thought it was too accurate so I took the Weaver 4X .22 scope off just to increase the challenge. Didn't work - I still hit everything I looked at.

Boolit Master

Awesome rifle 725!!!

Cw
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    CZ all the way. I sold all my other rim fire after buying a CZ452 except for a few family airlooms.

I don't see any mention of the Remington 541-T. Mine's a keeper and shoots cheap Federal bulk like it was built for it. It's not been in production for close to 20 years now that I'm aware of. I have it topped off with a 3X9 Leupold and on a good day (for me) it will shoot a 2" group at 100 yards.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Anschutz! But if your not wealthy my CZ 457 MTR (with apature sights) will hold it own against my Anschutz 1903, but my 1813 will out shoot both of them..

Spend once cry once !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast