Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hatch peppers are happening !

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

The Hatch peppers are happening !

Hatch peppers are in my local grocery store . Time to fire up the grill !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Hatch peppers are in my local grocery store . Time to fire up the grill !
    They are in the stores here too. The FFA is setting up their roasters and Walmart too. Love the smell of roasting chile.

Moderator Emeritus

I used to order a box. Now I need to cut back on the heat some(heartburn issues)...

Vendor Sponsor

I got some in the freezer we grew last year, cook with them often. Didn't grow any peppers this year.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen them yet, but I'm ready!

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I got some in the freezer we grew last year, cook with them often. Didn't grow any peppers this year.
    I agree , they compliment or provide a change of pace for many dishes . Good on a cheeseburger , added to meatloaf .....

Boolit Master

What in tarnation is a "hatch pepper"? I grow lots of peppers, never heard of them, please educate me?
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    What in tarnation is a "hatch pepper"? I grow lots of peppers, never heard of them, please educate me?
    Looks like the Anaheim pepper that is sold year long. These have a short season, and come from the area of Hatch, New Mexico. Come in around this time, and gone in a few weeks. Roast them, peel the skins, and have multi uses. You can put on a burger with your favorite Wisconsin cheeses. Great with eggs. I freeze and use year round. Great in a pork stew.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Looks like the Anaheim pepper that is sold year long. These have a short season, and come from the area of Hatch, New Mexico. Come in around this time, and gone in a few weeks. Roast them, peel the skins, and have multi uses. You can put on a burger with your favorite Wisconsin cheeses. Great with eggs. I freeze and use year round. Great in a pork stew.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    http://www.madeinnewmexico.com/hatch-chile-seeds

I wuz pretty tired or I would have done a search last night. Looks like a great chili, I'll order some seeds next spring to see if they'll grow up here in the frozen tundra. I can't compete with the mild temperatures down by the Rio-grande, but we'll see. I got some big long green peppers, not hot but long and narrow instead of like a bell pepper. From Burpee's this year called the "pepper,sweet big daddy hybrid" They're at least 10" long and 2" across the top. THIN walled, so go well in salads or sandwiches.

You can order plants the are shipped right on May 10-15, best last frost date for up here. Instead of relying on what is available from local greenhouses. OR starting your own from seeds.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    Did about 20 on the grill last week for the freezer and chile.
    Chile Rellenos soon.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Anyone know the "Scoville" read on the Hatch
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=snuffy;4120343]What in tarnation is a "hatch pepper"? I grow lots o
    There are many varieties of pepper (chile) grown in the Hatch New Mexico area. Hatch is not a variety of pepper, it is the name of the area, which is North of Las Cruces NM. It ranges from mild (1904) to extra hot (Lumbre). In between are others including Big Jim, which is very popular here. When they say extra hot they aren't kidding.

Boolit Master

Hatch chilis on the grill!

The Hatch chilis are in season at the local grocery. After shopping today I needed to roast these. I am the only one in the family who will eat them, so this is probably enough for a year for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Medium.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	201830

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    I canned a case and froze a case. I ought to be set for the year.
    Doc

Boolit Grand Master
    They're HERE in MN!!

Buy a box and they roast for you!! 2-6 today, 9-4 tomorrow.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

We roast 'em, peel 'em, and put them in an omelet whole with onion and cheese.....makes your mouth feel good!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    we roast 'em, peel 'em, and put them in an omelet whole with onion and cheese.....makes your mouth feel good!
    dang right !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    We roast 'em, peel 'em, and put them in an omelet whole with onion and cheese.....makes your mouth feel good!
    I hadn't thought of that. I have always cut them up to put in sauces and such. I'll have to get some more when shopping this weekend to try that.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

lol , dang good on a cheeseburger too !

Moderator Emeritus

Where in MN???

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    They're HERE in MN!!

Buy a box and they roast for you!! 2-6 today, 9-4 tomorrow.

Shiloh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast