Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a misfire?

Boolit Mold

What to do with a misfire?

Today I was doing some plinking with the .22, it's a 9 shot H&R wheel gun and I was using cheapo Remington bullets. I had a couple of misfires. One I was able to turn the cylinder back to that round it fired on the second try. With the second one I had to open the gun turn the bullet so the firing pin would hit it in a new spot and then it fired. Here's my question, is this safe? The first example seams safe since I never had to open the gun. In the second example, is there a better way to handle a misfired round?

Thanks,
    Kickn

Banned

No, you did fine. Just, when you have a hang fire, keep the gun pointed down range for a few moments. Never point it in an unsafe direction until you get the hangfire resolved. If the round just won't fire despite all of your efforts, remove it carefully, perhaps with good gloves on, and put it in a clearing barrel.

Boolit Mold
    I did wait about 30 seconds before doing anything. Thanks for the reply. Back to the range tomorrow

Boolit Master

I attempt to refire it and if it still doesn't go bang, pull the bullet and it goes into the next pot.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    I attempt to refire it and if it still doesn't go bang, pull the bullet and it goes into the next pot.
    Same here.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

The unfired primer can still be a nitemare to anyone who anneals it to swage. I crush the case mouth to make sure that doesn't happen.
    Please Don't throw it on the berm either. Those who mine for lead don't like the tensil fairy visits.

Banned

I stopped firing duds a second time after my machine shop instructor told me of an incident he had in which the case ruptured at the first firing pin indentation when he fired it the second time.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    I stopped firing duds a second time after my machine shop instructor told me of an incident he had in which the case ruptured at the first firing pin indentation when he fired it the second time.
    I looked in your album but didn't see anything relating to a case rupture, maybe I missed it? Anyway, what do you do with duds? Give it some time, then pull the bullet?

Banned

I just throw them down and let nature take care of them. I don't have a picture of it. This was years ago, when I was in college. But I did get to see what was actually left of the case. The gun spit brass particles into the shooters hand, but hew was not severely injured.

Boolit Master

Please destroy them. On one visit to a range some young guys had run out of ammo and were picking up rounds from the ground and trying them. The guy who cleans out the trash barrels started hauling the barrels to the dumpster after to many fire crackers when he just burned them.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Mold
    What's the safest way to destroy them? For me and for the guy who takes out the trash.

Boolit Master
    At my club we have receptacles for miss fired ammo and duds. As a service to the club I clean these out ever day or two and have found litterally hundreds of rounds of ammo thrown out by people some were never fired. Anyway if a 22 shell I pick up has two or more dents in the rim it is a real dud and I have never found priming compound in those cases when I pull the bullet and dump the powder (you can see the priming easily). With round that evidece either one hit or no hits I put them in a can for plinking ammo and reuse them. Some 90% or better go off on the second try. The rest have their bullets pulled and melted to make into new slugs, I collect the powder and the empty shells get recycled for brass. The powder makes a nice flair on 4th of July in my back yard. As for dud CF, I pull the bullets and reuse them, dump the powder (more flair material) and reuse the brass if I load for it or it goes to the metal recycler.

It's weird but before I was 50 I bet I shot 50 bazillion .22's and had maybe 2 misfires in my life.

Recently I had one box of Remington .22's that had 5-6 no fires and when retried only one of those actually fired the second time around.

I guess quality in these rounds is not what it used to be.

On another note when I was 8, I found a .22 shell and used pliers to remove the bullet, all the powder fell out and was lost. I put the case in my pocket and took it to school the next day. I had it sitting on the corner of my desk when the teacher walked by and knocked it to the floor with her dress. Yes, it did in fact go off, scaring the poor teacher Miss Biagi half to death. I was sent to the principals office to sit out the remainder of the day. Nothing more was said, my Mom wasn't called or anything. This was 1958.

I'd be in jail if this happened today.

But, I still cringe everytime I drop a live .22 on the ground.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-21-2011 at 11:56 PM.

duds

Like Nick's club we have dud cans,I also clean them out when at the range. I pull aprart the 22's and melt the lead down and add it to the pot. I use plires to pull the bullets, do not use the hammer pullers. And do not use the plires onthe brass case, get hold of the bullet with the plires. They come apart pretty easy. The cases go into my dutch oven and get cooked of with the lid on and a rock on top of the lid. I find and pull a lot of berdan primed rifle ammo and the go into the pot also. When the rifle primers go off they will pop the lid off. Bill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    It's weird but before I was 50 I bet I shot 50 bazillion .22's and had maybe 2 misfires in my life.

Recently I had one box of Remington .22's that had 5-6 no fires and when retried only one of those actually fired the second time around.

I guess quality in these rounds is not what it used to be.

On another note when I was 8, I found a .22 shell and used pliers to remove the bullet, all the powder fell out and was lost. I put the case in my pocket and took it to school the next day. I had it sitting on the corner of my desk when the teacher walked by and knocked it to the floor with her dress. Yes, it did in fact go off, scaring the poor teacher Miss Biagi half to death. I was sent to the principals office to sit out the remainder of the day. Nothing more was said, my Mom wasn't called or anything. This was 1958.

I'd be in jail if this happened today.

But, I still cringe everytime I drop a live .22 on the ground.

Randy

Guess you never shot any Remington Golden ammo then as I quit using that ammo years ago because of the duds
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stillkickn View Post
    What's the safest way to destroy them? For me and for the guy who takes out the trash.
    An easy way to diassamble .22rf is to slip a fired 22mag or 22 centerfire case over the bullet and use the fired case for leverage to bend the bullet out of the loaded case.
    The bullet will slip right out of the fired case for addition to the lead stash.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stillkickn View Post
    The safest way to destroy duds (supposing you don't want to re-use components) is to soak the round in WD-40 or some other quality penetrating oil to make them inert. You can then either toss them (irresponsible) or take them to your local police station or gun club and ask them to kindly destroy the rounds. This works for any caliber, particularly well with centerfire.

Since this is Cast Boolits and I assume you value lead as gold, simply pull the bullet, dump the powder in a non-static container (most plastic Gladware or the like), and use the bullet and brass for whatever your purposes may be. To dispose of the powder, I'll usually fold it into a paper towel and set it ablaze in my firepit. Smokeless powder burns pretty spectacularly, so it's fun to do. Black powder explodes, so please; make sure you don't do this with BP.

We have a "dud bin" at my club that I regularly empty for the bullets and brass. There's a stigma among non-reloaders that duds will blow up and kill you. The propogation of this stigma works in my favor.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Grand Master

I used a ton of the Remington golden bullets in the past. But lately have been getting too many duds and accuracy has dropped off.

I pull the bullets with pliers by bending then sideways, dump the powder on the grass, then a squirt of engine oil from my old pump can and into the scrap brass. There is usually no priming compound in the duds.

Boolit Master
    I simply dump all duds into a can that has some motor oil in it, this is not rocket science, think about it!

Boolit Master
    You wouldn't believe the amount of 22 rf duds I find at the the range, I'll find half a dozen every time I am picking up brass. Every one of them with only one (1) fireing pin stike on the rim and every one without fail has fired when I try them in my Ruger Mk II. I have fired thousands of rounds of 22rf from my several rf guns and I can count on one hand the amount of misfires I have had. This leads me to think that many people are having problems with their guns perhaps mechanical or perhaps they never clean their guns as we all know that filthy rimfires will have ignition problems. Are they so ignorant of what they are doing that they asssume the amunition of faulty.???? What bothers me the most is that they just toss it out on the ground, we have a dud box.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast